TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Also, now that this will be a year round thing that means you won't see them do a stand alone maze as well during HHN so now those people who whine and moan about that can be satisfied.

You mean this will (most likely) be included in the HHN haunt list so they can cut another haunt off the event. Maybe they'll repeat one or two haunts again just like last year, leaving us with two, maybe three new ideas if we're lucky, all while increasing the event price again and still no return of VIP.

They may surprise me but after last year's deliberate price-gouge compared to years past, I'm not holding my breath.

They had 7 mazes the last time House of Horrors was able to be used, so hopefully that is the case again. John did not answer the question on twitter when directly asked how many mazes there will be, so who knows. He's referenced mazes up to #5 so far when giving hints. John, however, did say on twitter that "there are no literal repeats this year, no "back by popular demand."

Here is the "official" announcement for the new Walking Dead attraction.

1413721126_03-14-16WalkingDeadUSH.jpg.63a8b0d6b72851ef892657e9c60b09ac.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood Takes on the Zombie Apocalypse

Announcing a Permanent Walk-Through Attraction Based on AMC’s Award-Winning Series, “The Walking Dead,”

Opening Summer 2016

Intense, All-New State-of-the-Art Theme Park Addition Continues Destination’s Ongoing Revitalization

Universal City, California, March 14, 2016 – Universal Studios Hollywood brings the most popular show in cable television history to life in Summer 2016 when AMC’s Golden Globe award-nominated television series, The Walking Dead, sets up permanent residency at The Entertainment Capital of L.A. in an all-new immersive, cutting-edge attraction.

Universal Studios Hollywood has worked collaboratively with AMC’s “The Walking Dead” for years as a signature “Halloween Horror Nights” maze. This newly enhanced venture will take the highly sought-after experience from a seasonal, limited time offering to an authentic 365 day opportunity, raising the bar for themed walk-through attractions. For a look at what to expect when the attraction opens this summer, please click

To further elevate the authenticity of this new attraction, Universal Studios Hollywood is partnering with “The Walking Dead’s” creative team, including visionary executive producer and director, Greg Nicotero and his special effects company, KNB Efx. Greg’s team, responsible for masterfully creating the show’s realistic decaying walkers, will construct prosthetics, utilize original molds and painstakingly apply paint and detailing to the attraction walkers. The integral involvement of the creative team will not only inspire the emotional connection fans experience, it will be among the attraction’s key distinguishing characteristics that will define it as a living version of the show.

“The Walking Dead” attraction will create a no-holds-barred experience that significantly intensifies any other iteration previously developed within the theme park. Coupled with authentic walker make-up effects, sophisticated animatronic walkers, substantially more detailed set design and costuming, and highly recognizable props replicated from the series, the attraction will deliver an uncompromised realistic environment that brings guests even further into the most watched show in cable television history.

“’The Walking Dead’ is a phenomenon that has successfully and consistently affected the psyche of viewers on a global basis, since its debut,” said Larry Kurzweil, President of Universal Studios Hollywood. “We’re taking its intensity to the next level by collaborating with the show’s award-winning production team to create an authentic living representation of the series that can only be experienced at Universal Studios Hollywood.”

“We’re so grateful for our longstanding partnership with the talented team at Universal Studios Hollywood. We've shared a successful three-year partnership at Halloween Horror Nights and now this permanent 'The Walking Dead' walk- through attraction takes the relationship and the fan experience to the next level," said Charlie Collier, President of AMC and SundanceTV. “Along with our great partners at Universal, it means a great deal to us to continue entertaining -- and frightening -- passionate, loyal fans of 'The Walking Dead' for years to come."

The “The Walking Dead” attraction will be located within an entirely new, custom built structure, situated within an expansive building complex just inside the theme park’s main entry.

The past five years have been a remarkable time for Universal Studios Hollywood as the destination embarked on an unprecedented revitalization that has substantially altered over 75 percent of its familiar footprint to effectively characterize it as an entirely new theme park experience. The introduction of the all-new “The Walking Dead” attraction continues the theme park’s unparalleled investment in an ambitious epic transformation.

AMC’s “The Walking Dead” depicts the story of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by hordes of terrifying flesh-eating walkers. It is the #1 show on television among adults 18-49 for the last four years and in its sixth season, the most highly-rated show in cable television history.

More information is available at www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Like Universal Studios Hollywood on Facebook and follow @UniStudios on Instagram and Twitter. Due to the intense nature of this experience, the attraction is not recommended for guests under the age of 13.

Also, now that this will be a year round thing that means you won't see them do a stand alone maze as well during HHN so now those people who whine and moan about that can be satisfied.

You mean this will (most likely) be included in the HHN haunt list so they can cut another haunt off the event. Maybe they'll repeat one or two haunts again just like last year, leaving us with two, maybe three new ideas if we're lucky, all while increasing the event price again and still no return of VIP.

They may surprise me but after last year's deliberate price-gouge compared to years past, I'm not holding my breath.

I really think last year was an unusual year which many have to consider.

We knew Walking Dead was going no where, and neither was AVP due to it's huge budget. We technically only lost House of Horrors as the 3rd maze in the backlot was moved to the lower lot. With Insidious & Purge having a new movie, I wasn't surprised they came back either. This is the End was the unexpected bad decision so no pass on that one. It really was a year where repeats or similar material was becoming popular again. I got the most scares from Crimson but that movie wasn't out so they hype wasn't there.

This year I know TWD will have it's own area and AVP is gone, doubt Crimson, Insidious, or TITE or coming back, so we have quite a bit of potential. You could be right though as I remember the area TWD took place last year is rumored for a new dark ride. If they don't add another maze back on the backlot or elsewhere it will be disappointing! There is quite a bit of material for horror this year. I honestly hope they do AshvsEvilDead as that's rumored for another season and they like to reuse material.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was an interesting post from the Goddard Group's Facebook page about Harry Potter and USH.

As you know, later this week Universal Studios Hollywood will be officially unveiling the latest incarnation of the spectacular Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

What you didn't know, however, was that this was not the first Harry Potter attraction planned for the park. In fact, the very first concept was being developed long before Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone had even started filming!

Stay tuned for more details!

12719502_10153957701309333_537248602015539588_o.jpg

Are they doing anything special for the guests for the official grand opening day? I can't imagine people waiting in line unless there is something special, or they are out of town and flew in for the first day.

Theme Park Review was invited to attend the VIP Press Event for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood! In my six years of attending press events at USH, this was by far the most extravagant, elaborate, and beautifully presented. The event started with VIP arrivals on the red carpet which stretched from New York street to the archway entrance to Hogsmead. We spoke with many of the actors from the Harry Potter film series before transitioning inside the land for the VIP presentation and fireworks celebration. Executives from NBC Universal, Warner Bros., and USH addressed the attendees and acknowledged the many people who helped bring the newest Wizarding World to life. The evening was capped with legendary composer and conductor John Williams leading the LA Philharmonic Orchestra in playing a Harry Potter suite from the film scores. The presentation portion of this event was truly remarkable, and quite a sight to behold! It is a rare treat for USH to have an aerial fireworks display, or any pyrotechnics outside of the WaterWorld arena. This was the perfect time to break that mold and honor this cherished IP. This new land is nothing short of stunning (save the already discussed sight-line issues within the land), and it is now up to the park operations team to keep the summer crowds cycling through as best they can. The first three days after the land's scheduled opening on April 7th, is already "SOLD OUT" and new ticket purchases are not available those days. Rumor has it that on the morning of the 7th, a smaller opening moment will occur at the Hogsmead entrance in the early morning. This will be a nice welcome to the first official guests who are expected to arrive and go through the Security screening process as early as 3am.

We extend a hearty "Congratulations!" to the entire Universal team, and wish them a wonderful Spring and Summer season as guests flock to see their new addition. A big "thank you" to Gail from Public Relations for once again inviting us to attend!

When you visit the new land, be sure to share your experience with the following:

Twitter: @UniStudios

Instrgram: @UniStudios

#WizardingWorldHollywood

Enjoy the photos and videos of the festivities below!

"Mischief managed!"

William

001.thumb.jpg.2cb5e2eb8e44ac53848763cfbf707023.jpg

Welcome back to USH! We live tweeted, bringing the action to our home viewers!

002.thumb.jpg.6edeac7924398ecf474449e25815506c.jpg

Official Wizard!

003.thumb.jpg.4368c08305a7a8bf9779a16ba953c8a1.jpg

The real heroes: The Park Operations staff!

004.thumb.jpg.f34fb1badd473e7edf50bdd89a8b0d22.jpg

Many folks on the red carpet! Here is Evanna Lynch. She portrayed Luna Lovegood in the film series.

005.thumb.jpg.111a7466b8df342c5d3ddca052a90dc3.jpg

Mr. Steven Spielberg!

006.thumb.jpg.bbe16bee957d38b0a9102e2ce9a96cad.jpg

Warwick Davis, of "Willow" fame and Professor Flitwick / Griphook from the film series was so kind to speak with us before he joined his family in the new land!

007.thumb.jpg.ed747570356f7fa071bb9388c7359c64.jpg

Tom Felton, Draco Malfoy in the film series, spoke with us about his childhood memories of USH.

008.thumb.jpg.b1f05cb0e65bf3d19e2b58de61eacfd3.jpg

James and Oliver Phelps, The Weasley Twins, in film series, also spoke with us before enjoying the festivities.

009.thumb.jpg.0cb9000dbcfb8e75fa2325c576d7ccd9.jpg

After the red carpet, the guests and media members relocated inside the land to witness the VIP Press celebration.

010.thumb.jpg.c8a16beb3d3382ec5c36ea5353498e78.jpg

We see the start of some projection mapping!

011.thumb.jpg.b2348b64d1fac3e6e5b181369d269eb8.jpg

After the celebration, we were invited to enjoy many of the food offerings from the land, all traditional Scottish/English fare!

013.thumb.jpg.1bcb48b6832125d927d256b9bb792ddf.jpg

Butterbeer for everyone! Which type do you prefer? Though many prefer the frozen, I much prefer the "cold" Butterbeer.

017.thumb.jpg.f8a0fb2b2d2249dd997d748f129251c8.jpg

The "Carts" team members are ready to serve up over 1 million Butterbeers this summer!

018.thumb.jpg.621540f3e2cc3190c5dfe669594b8d7b.jpg

Congratulations to Universal Studios Hollywood on your new land! Have a wonderful summer season!

012.thumb.jpg.5c9d1d7ee06d58565d6d98a83a626cf3.jpg

My personal favorite item of the night was the Bangers and Mash, perfect savory flavor for the sausage and the potatoes were a perfect comfort food! The Sheppard's Pie was a close second.

Edited by wrs28330

That was a spectacular event! If only they could do the whole John Williams + orchestra + projection mapped castle + fireworks on a nightly basis. I can dream. Thanks for covering the event and giving us a taste of what it was like to be there! And congrats to Universal on the new land! It looks beautiful and is sure to be a huge success!

Looks like it was an amazing event!

Just curious, are the pathways any wider that the Florida versions?

I've been reading from many reports the they are actually smaller -_-

But they've added more to the alley behind the stores which I thought was pretty cool. They had to try to fit this thing in the upper lot so I pretty much expected this.

Without scrolling back through the pages can some one answer a quick question for me? I'll be in LA this October and was wondering when Hollywood Horror Nights tickets typically go on sale? Any info on the official website still references 2015. I will only have Thursday night available to go and don't want to miss out due to the possibility of tickets selling out.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like it was an amazing event!

Just curious, are the pathways any wider that the Florida versions?

I've been reading from many reports the they are actually smaller -_-

But they've added more to the alley behind the stores which I thought was pretty cool. They had to try to fit this thing in the upper lot so I pretty much expected this.

Aside from the obviously missing Dragon Challenge, it's nearly identical. From what I can remember from Florida vs. CA, there is actually more space behind Ollivanders, a larger restroom, and more outdoor seating at Three Broomsticks in addition to the extra little alleyway CA has because there is no Dragon Challenge.