TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I read an interview with Walter Bolliger about Silver Star and he explained that they wanted to create "long" airtime. I think they aim at having exactly 0G over the entire hill and the trims will then regulate the speed of the train to reach this and give the same ride experience for everyone.

I would guess that this also means that the coaster doesn't end up being "better" at night and / or "not as good" in the morning.

Are the rods coming off of the side of the track going to be for nets, or is that for some kind of theming?

They are actually going to kill to Raven's with one Symoné.

There will be nets, but they are going to be fish nets, so they can be considered theming as well.

Is that a That's So Raven joke?

Yes, it was a "That's So Raven" joke.

Are the rods coming off of the side of the track going to be for nets, or is that for some kind of theming?

They are actually going to kill to Raven's with one Symoné.

There will be nets, but they are going to be fish nets, so they can be considered theming as well.

Is that a That's So Raven joke?

I think it's a Cosby Show joke.

Oh, my bad. Raven Symone is just more recognizable from ThatS So Raven for my age group

No, she was like 5 on the Cosby Show. A reference to Raven wearing fishnets was inappropriate even for Cosby. That was just my being an old man and talking about remembering a famous person when she was knee high to a hamster.

Anyway, Mako looks really good. I can't say I'm terribly excited, since my only experience with a B&M hyper was Raging Bull. But from what I hear, that's the worst one, and many others are quite fun. The layout looks very good at least. We do plan to get to Orlando at some point before the end of the decade, so we'll be sure to check this out then.

https://seaworldcares.com/2016/03/caring-for-tilikum-the-killer-whale/

We are saddened to report that over the past few weeks, Tilikum's behavior has become increasingly lethargic, and the SeaWorld veterinary and animal care teams are concerned that his health is beginning to deteriorate.

Since Tilikum became a part of SeaWorld’s family 23 years ago, he has received the best in marine mammal health care and life enrichment available for killer whales – including a focus on his physical health, mental engagement and social activity with other whales. Despite the best care available, like all aging animals, he battles chronic health issues that are taking a greater toll as he ages.

Our teams are treating him with care and medication for what we believe is a bacterial infection in his lungs. However, the suspected bacteria is very resistant to treatment and a cure for his illness has not been found.

“It has been our duty and passion to make sure we give him the utmost care we possibly can,” said Daniel Richardson, Animal Training Supervisor.

Our veterinarians are focused on managing his illness in a way that makes him comfortable and creates an enriching life. Like many older animals facing significant health issues, his condition may continue to fluctuate, and we will keep his friends and fans updated here on SeaWorld Cares.

Tilikum is beloved by the trainers and vets who care for him each day, as well as the thousands of fans who have connected with him during shows and underwater viewing. We truly appreciate your continued support.

You can learn more about the care Tilikum is receiving by watching the video below.

He is an old whale. It will be sad when he passes. He has always been a highlight of my trips to SeaWorld. I am always in complete awe at his size. Such a beautiful animal.

The care that he (and all the other animals) is receiving is top notch. I have no doubt SeaWorld is doing everything they can to make him comfortable during this illness.

I hope they don't face more bullsh*t news articles and news stories about Tilikum if what it sounds like comes to fruition. SeaWorld is doing an incredible job with these animals and don't need/deserve more negative coverage from "activists."

Sadly it's almost a given that this will be the case. Every news story that's come out today is more than happy to immediately mention Blackfish. People suck.

I know my usual role on this board is to be a sarcastic pain in the a** and/or your resident walking / talking Knoebels commercial but I feel like I need to say something here. I know I'm kind of preaching to the choir and I know I may lose some cool points but seeing animals in distress breaks my heart. People? Whatever... when some worldwide disaster hits you're lucky to get a $10 Red Cross text from me but animals are a different story.

This whole thing is just such a shame. I think it's great that these Blackfish people are so interested in helping animals but they need to direct their passion in the right place. Sea World does more to help these animals than anyone and most of it flies under the radar. Right now there's a serious problem on the west coast with Sea Lions washing ashore. Sea World has rescued and rehabilitated over 200 of these animals just in the last 2 months. When these animals get stranded these localities don't call Peta, they don't call the fake activists from Blackfish, they call Sea World and they do that because they're the best in the business.

Ever since our first visit to SeaWorld we fell and love with the place... my girlfriend especially. Now she's even started talking to some of the trainers and is trying to convince me to get married at Sea World. She drinks the Sea World Kool Aid more than I drink the Knoebels Kool Aid (and I'm about to drown on Knoebels Kool Aid). Like seriously... that dumb Turtle Trek movie has caused her to become a complete tree hugger. She drives a Prius BECAUSE of Sea World (yeah, she's one of THOSE people), she freaks out about recycling, she donates to animal charities even though we take the standard deduction and there's no tax benefit, she's a complete fan girl... it's kind of ridiculous, lol.

Anyway her conversations with the trainers just paint pictures of people crying, trainers clocking out after work and going right back to the tank to spend time with Tilikum and just an outpouring of love for this whale. These people are amazing people. They love Tilikum like he's one of their own children. This entire thing is heartbreaking but it's just affirming the fact that this is a wonderful organization with amazing people that deserves our support. The tears in that video are real tears. By the sounds of things many of these people are almost inconsolable.

Sea World and Busch Gardens have a conservation fund that accepts donations to help them continue to do the amazing work that they do. Until recently they did it with very little PR and are just now starting to inform the masses of it with shows like Wildlife Docs as a necessary response to all of the bad press they've been getting. Even though they're now making this more public it doesn't even scratch the surface of the great work they do.

I think it would be great to see some support from the community in honor of Tilikum. There's not much anyone can do to help, but at least it's a small way to help them continue their amazing work and hopefully one day find a cure for these types of infections that impact both wild and captive whales.

I know I just lost cool points but I feel awful for these people and for Tilikum. This is an amazing organization.

^Very well said.

It's pathetic that people believe Sea World is some evil corporation that is going into the oceans and grabbing animals away from their families. Sea World does so much more for animals than PETA on a daily basis.

^Very well said.

It's pathetic that people believe Sea World is some evil corporation that is going into the oceans and grabbing animals away from their families. Sea World does so much more for animals than PETA on a daily basis.

PETA is typical leftist finger pointing farce. "You should do this and or that." While they collect money and do nothing. Okay political rant off.

I know my usual role on this board is to be a sarcastic pain in the a** and/or your resident walking / talking Knoebels commercial but I feel like I need to say something here. I know I'm kind of preaching to the choir and I know I may lose some cool points but seeing animals in distress breaks my heart. People? Whatever... when some worldwide disaster hits you're lucky to get a $10 Red Cross text from me but animals are a different story.

This whole thing is just such a shame. I think it's great that these Blackfish people are so interested in helping animals but they need to direct their passion in the right place. Sea World does more to help these animals than anyone and most of it flies under the radar. Right now there's a serious problem on the west coast with Sea Lions washing ashore. Sea World has rescued and rehabilitated over 200 of these animals just in the last 2 months. When these animals get stranded these localities don't call Peta, they don't call the fake activists from Blackfish, they call Sea World and they do that because they're the best in the business.

Ever since our first visit to SeaWorld we fell and love with the place... my girlfriend especially. Now she's even started talking to some of the trainers and is trying to convince me to get married at Sea World. She drinks the Sea World Kool Aid more than I drink the Knoebels Kool Aid (and I'm about to drown on Knoebels Kool Aid). Like seriously... that dumb Turtle Trek movie has caused her to become a complete tree hugger. She drives a Prius BECAUSE of Sea World (yeah, she's one of THOSE people), she freaks out about recycling, she donates to animal charities even though we take the standard deduction and there's no tax benefit, she's a complete fan girl... it's kind of ridiculous, lol.

Anyway her conversations with the trainers just paint pictures of people crying, trainers clocking out after work and going right back to the tank to spend time with Tilikum and just an outpouring of love for this whale. These people are amazing people. They love Tilikum like he's one of their own children. This entire thing is heartbreaking but it's just affirming the fact that this is a wonderful organization with amazing people that deserves our support. The tears in that video are real tears. By the sounds of things many of these people are almost inconsolable.

Sea World and Busch Gardens have a conservation fund that accepts donations to help them continue to do the amazing work that they do. Until recently they did it with very little PR and are just now starting to inform the masses of it with shows like Wildlife Docs as a necessary response to all of the bad press they've been getting. Even though they're now making this more public it doesn't even scratch the surface of the great work they do.

I think it would be great to see some support from the community in honor of Tilikum. There's not much anyone can do to help, but at least it's a small way to help them continue their amazing work and hopefully one day find a cure for these types of infections that impact both wild and captive whales.

I know I just lost cool points but I feel awful for these people and for Tilikum. This is an amazing organization.

I agree...well said - no loss of cool points from me.

I'm not a violent person in the least, but sometimes I feel like I could just slap some of the PETA and Blackfish people and tell them to wake the eff up.

Some of these extremists literally make me want to vomit.

Very, very sad news. It was nice of them to present such an honest and heart-felt video about Tilikum, his keepers and his care. Seeing them love on him and play got me a little choked up. I can't believe how large he is!

A very close friend of mine worked at The National Zoo for over 2 decades. She was a sea lion keeper but also worked frequently with the bobcats and river otters. The stories she tells me about those animals and how they actually DO become like members of your family are true. There was one old sea lion who was very sick like Tilikum and it was clear that after a very long battle she wasn't going to make it. My friend and another keeper stayed the night with her in her small wading pool holding her until she passed away in the middle of the night. To hear her tell the story will bring even the most cold-hearted businessmen to tears! I can't imagine how it must feel for Sea World to be facing this with such a wonderful whale.

I'm curious, does anyone know if Sea World would at some point choose to euthanize him? Or are they strictly treating and letting nature take its course either way? I'm not sure on their stance with that sort of thing. I'm pro euth if at a certain point there's no way to manage pain/quality of life. But, to each their own.

It's already begun. Saw some airhead on my twitter who probably didn't bother reading SeaWorld's press release calling them "pure evil" for allowing the whale to get sick. Nevermind the fact that this whale would already be dead if it were in the wild.