TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar point winter tour 2016

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I played piano at CP 1986-90, they held all of the employee events in the ballroom like dances and bingo.

I thought I heard that they don't or can't use it much in the summer since the building is an historic landmark and doesn't have air conditioning. And if they were to install it, the building would lose its landmark status.

It is a great room. The Live Entertainment offices are at the far end of it (opposite the front windows) and we rehearsed all of the shows there.

When I played piano at CP 1986-90, they held all of the employee events in the ballroom like dances and bingo.

I thought I heard that they don't or can't use it much in the summer since the building is an historic landmark and doesn't have air conditioning. And if they were to install it, the building would lose its landmark status.

It is a great room. The Live Entertainment offices are at the far end of it (opposite the front windows) and we rehearsed all of the shows there.

I agree, I wish there was more hey could do with it as it has a lot of potential. If you don't mind me asking, what show did you play in at cedarpoint?

I agree, I wish there was more hey could do with it as it has a lot of potential. If you don't mind me asking, what show did you play in at cedarpoint?

Ain't We Got Fun 1986, 1987, Country Sunshine 1988 and 1990, and Jumpin' at the Jukebox in 1989. This year marks my 30th year doing theme park shows! Went from CP to Busch Gardens VA and then down to Orlando where I have been at Walt Disney World for 17 years.

Is the ballroom sometimes closed up? When I was at the park in 2013 doing some photography, I walked right up the stairs and in during the middle of the operating day. There were a couple other park guests in there at the time as well. It's a really cool room, and definitely a bit of a time warp!

Ain't We Got Fun 1986, 1987, Country Sunshine 1988 and 1990, and Jumpin' at the Jukebox in 1989. This year marks my 30th year doing theme park shows! Went from CP to Busch Gardens VA and then down to Orlando where I have been at Walt Disney World for 17 years.

Very cool!

We will be down in Orlando this July. What show are you in at Disney?

Very awesome photos (as per usual with your trip reports!), thanks so much for sharing them! It looks like a great event, and it had to feel a little weird being at a "winter tour" when temps were warm enough to want to hop aboard their coasters!

I like some of those perks that were announced, including that sunrise VIP tour. That'd be awesome to climb Valravn's lift and get some killer photos from that perch!

Just curious, did they mention anything in regards to Valravn's Media Day? I by no means expect them to repeat what was done for GateKeeper's in 2013 where they opened it up to coaster enthusiasts, but I'd be thrilled to go if they did! That was such a wonderful (though unnecessary) gesture by the park for that year, but I have a sad feeling that some of the folks who give our hobby a bad name probably complained about aspects of it (I hate people like that, for the record!). Again, just curious more than anything else.

Thanks for posting your really thorough and interesting WCO pics! I never thought about what parks do with their rides during the off season - take off all the cars, wrap up certain rides, that sort of thing. Neat to see. Good catch on the potential Christmas clues! Hmmm.....

Very awesome photos (as per usual with your trip reports!), thanks so much for sharing them! It looks like a great event, and it had to feel a little weird being at a "winter tour" when temps were warm enough to want to hop aboard their coasters!

I like some of those perks that were announced, including that sunrise VIP tour. That'd be awesome to climb Valravn's lift and get some killer photos from that perch!

Just curious, did they mention anything in regards to Valravn's Media Day? I by no means expect them to repeat what was done for GateKeeper's in 2013 where they opened it up to coaster enthusiasts, but I'd be thrilled to go if they did! That was such a wonderful (though unnecessary) gesture by the park for that year, but I have a sad feeling that some of the folks who give our hobby a bad name probably complained about aspects of it (I hate people like that, for the record!). Again, just curious more than anything else.

Thank you.

They are going to have a preview day that is also doubling as a charity event. The date has been announced, but I can't remember the exact date other than it being on a Thursday.

Thanks for posting your really thorough and interesting WCO pics! I never thought about what parks do with their rides during the off season - take off all the cars, wrap up certain rides, that sort of thing. Neat to see. Good catch on the potential Christmas clues! Hmmm.....

Thank you!

I did a little searching and found that originally the contest was held in Mansfield Ohio until the winner of the contest was from Sandusky in 1963. The contest was then moved to the ballroom at Cedar Point until 1975, when it moved back to Mansfield .

Interesting.....

Someone else said that the reason the ballroom is not utilized is because it has no air conditioning. Not sure if that's true or not, but this is a huge area that they should be taking advantage of.

One funny thing that I forgot to mention. ..

Tony said that the new coke stand in the front of the park will have bubbles coming out of the top. He also mentioned that it will look cool until it breaks and never gets fixed.

The only time I'm in the arcade is to play the vintage pinball machines in the back. It's a great place to unwind for a little bit since there isn't much traffic through that part of the building.

I believe the giant pinball machine thrillrider refers to is called "Hercules".