Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 275: Halloween Horror Nights 2019 scare zones revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:15 pm

It opened at 3 and the rides closed at 5:45. Shops and butterbeer carts stayed open longer. I wouldn't start planning any trips to USH just yet, since it is tech rehearsals...

Lost My Veganity on the New Hotness trip.

Postby dylanreich » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Went to the park for the first time in 2 years to try the Harry Potter rides before it gets really crowded... and WOW!!! I was blown away at the quality of the area (on par with Disney's best theming, which is probably Cars Land). The butterbeer was amazing. The coaster was an okay family coaster.
Forbidden Journey was absolutely INCREDIBLE. I think it may have the best queue of any ride, ever. It's a really immersive ride. USH better be ready to deal with record crowds! 2019 Diagon Alley anyone? ;)
YOLO all day errday
Steel: 1.Skull Mountain 2.X2 3.I-305 4.Tatsu 5.Storm Runner 6.Volcano
Wood: 1.Phoenix 2.Thunderhead 3.El Toro 4.Apocalypse 5.Lightning Racer

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:34 am

I was able to attend the first soft opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Hollywood yesterday! The land is fantastic! highly detailed and immersive. The only negative on the entire land is the amount of outside intrusion on the land. Universal did not fully theme the Forbidden Journey Show building and it is very visible in many areas of the land. Also parts of Citywalk can be easily seen as well.

The Forbidden Journey was OUTSTANDING! BY FAR the best dark ride in SoCal, nothing comes close! The use of 3D screens, physical sets, and animatronics made this the most impressive and immersive ride I have ever experienced! By the end of the day, I had gotten 7 rides on it thanks to the awesome single rider line which was a walk-on most of the day! Cannot wait to go back and ride this!

Flight of the Hippogriff was a fun little family coaster by Mack Rides!

Overall great day, cannot wait to go back!

Congrats to Universal Studios Hollywood on nearly 5 years of planning and construction. This land is a game changer for this park. The park will never be the same again!

IMG_9758.JPG
The PotterWatch crowd. Most people, myself included, were here since park opening at 9am!

IMG_9766.JPG
The golden ticket! The land finally opened at 3pm!

IMG_9765.JPG

IMG_9770.JPG

IMG_9767.JPG
first thing I did is went straight to the Forbidden Journey!

IMG_9771.JPG
Note: Forbidden Journey has a Single Rider Line as well as a Gate A (Universal Express) Line!

IMG_9773.JPG

IMG_9779.JPG

IMG_9784.JPG
Once you are seated with restraints down and locked, a Team Member will hand you your 3D glasses. The 3D Glasses are exactly the same as the ones used on Despicable Me and Transformers.

IMG_9785.JPG
WARNING! this ride IS NOT friendly to larger guests! I saw a lot of people taking the walk of shame. Make sure you use the test seat if in doubt!

IMG_9786.JPG
Hogwarts from Flight of The Hippogriff queue

IMG_9787.JPG
Some of the visual intrusions into the land:

IMG_9789.JPG

IMG_9791.JPG
Exposed show building.

IMG_9793.JPG

IMG_9795.JPG

IMG_9797.JPG
Olivanders queue!

IMG_9798.JPG
Olivanders "Pre Show". Unlike Orlando, Hollywood has two wand fitting rooms!

IMG_9802.JPG

IMG_9807.JPG
The wand show is exactly the same as Orlando.

IMG_9809.JPG
My First Butterbeer! I thought it was good, but a bit over rated. Not something that I need every visit. Just once every few years for me.

IMG_9811.JPG
Butterbeer is $5.35 each tax included. $1 more for frozen and $11.99 + tax in a plastic stein. No Annual Pass discounts.

IMG_9818.JPG

IMG_9819.JPG

IMG_9824.JPG
NEW CREDIT! Flight of the Hippogriff!

IMG_9836.JPG
Flight of the Hippogriff is a Mack (not Vekoma) family coaster. I thought it was a fun little ride that gave a better ride than the Vekoma Rollerskaters!

IMG_9850.JPG
Exactly what this park needed. A family coaster with a low hight requirement! I think it was 38-48 inches to ride with a companion and 48 inches to ride alone.

IMG_9860.JPG
Time for some night time shots!

IMG_9871.JPG

IMG_9875.JPG

IMG_9877.JPG
Flying Ford in the extended queue for Forbidden Journey

IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9891.JPG
I didn't spend too much time in the shops as I was busy getting my fill of rides on FJ. Next time.

IMG_9897.JPG
IMG_9864.JPG
IMG_9889.JPG
Honey Dukes
Apollos Chariot #1!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby R17 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:41 am

Does the 3D in Forbidden Journey work w/ or w/o glasses ?

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:25 pm

With glasses.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby edgeboy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:31 pm

I also had a great time there yesterday. Even better for me personally, I wasn't able to get there until 2:30 due to my work schedule. But since they let people in at 3pm, it ended up being perfect!

I feel that overall, it was being operated with very few kinks. Stores, TMs, and Ride Ops generally had an excellent sense of what to do, and the TMs acted as if they had been working there for weeks. My biggest worry will be the single rider line... when they used the overflow queue outside (as they seemed to be for most of the time), even single riders had to go through it before entering the castle. Which did not make it SR a "walk on" for us. I sort of hope that won't be the general policy as they move forward, but if they do, anticipate that possibly even single ride could have a wait.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby PhantomPoster32 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:03 pm

edgeboy wrote:I also had a great time there yesterday. Even better for me personally, I wasn't able to get there until 2:30 due to my work schedule. But since they let people in at 3pm, it ended up being perfect!

I feel that overall, it was being operated with very few kinks. Stores, TMs, and Ride Ops generally had an excellent sense of what to do, and the TMs acted as if they had been working there for weeks. My biggest worry will be the single rider line... when they used the overflow queue outside (as they seemed to be for most of the time), even single riders had to go through it before entering the castle. Which did not make it SR a "walk on" for us. I sort of hope that won't be the general policy as they move forward, but if they do, anticipate that possibly even single ride could have a wait.

That's SOP with the Forbidden Journey down in Orlando so I'd expect that to be the case in Hollywood too

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BlahBlahson » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Being from Orlando and having Universal Orlando in my backyard, i just find it odd how very little interest I have in going to USH ever. It's a great park I'm sure, but the amount that is copied between the two coasts/resorts now is basically unparalleled in the industry, even amongst the global "Disneyland" parks. Good for business but meh to me.

I'd love to go to Universal Japan or Singapore, but I would seriously add another Disneyland day before I'd be interested in going to USH (even for free), other than HHN.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby PhantomPoster32 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:10 pm

The REASON you go to USH is the backlot tour. You can't get that experience at USO. The rides though? I concur.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby disney4me2001 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:55 am

PhantomPoster32 wrote:The REASON you go to USH is the backlot tour. You can't get that experience at USO. The rides though? I concur.

This exactly! I often have to remind friends that this is why USH has so few attractions compared to UOR- USH is a working film studio and was not initially built to have a theme park attached to it, so as a result you're getting a tour of the studio (just as Warner Bros., Paramount, etc. offer tours of their lots- though Universal's is unique), plus a few theme park attractions. It's absolutely the crown jewel of USH, and a special experience that isn't offered at any other Universal properties! Though to be fair, USF did have a (short-lived) Studio Tour of their own when the park first opened.
Feel free to add me on The Simpsons Tapped Out: 1337me_69

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!