Best Coaster Layout

What roller coaster(s) do you think has the best layout?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Best Coaster Layout

Postby DarienLaker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:54 pm

n this thread, you share what coaster layout you think is the "best". This includes a part (or parts) of a coaster's layout, coasters that are now gone, and you can also say coasters that you haven't ridden. A good layout can be exciting, original throughout the whole ride and even theming (if applicable) . Your list of coasters can be like my list below or you can just say the coaster and say why you like the layout.

Ridden:
Viper (Darien Lake) - Sure it maybe an old rough Arrow roller coaster, but it has a timeless classic layout with five inversion and an underground tunnel.
Maverick (Cedar Point) - A rather fast and awesome coaster with a cool name and rocks

Not have ridden:
Dueling Dragons: - I know I've called it its old name, But I liked it better without Harry Potter and also its "double header" loops (It's too bad the layout has gone to "waste" since the dragons are no longer "dueling")
Superman: Ultimate Flight (SFDK): - Personally, I may not like the idea of Six Flags overusing superheroes, but it has good layout for a short coaster that is not a kiddie coaster

Now gone:
Drachen Fire (Busch Gardens Williamsburg) - It's a shame that such a rough coaster that had short lived operating life would have such a good layout that could have been awesome if it was still around. :( P.S. I never had the chance to ride it!
Last edited by DarienLaker on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:10 pm.
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Best Coaster Layout

Postby Nitro1118 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:53 pm

Superman at Six Flags New England has the perfect layout. 200ft drop, big camelback with strong floater/light ejector, overbanked turn taken with good speed and positive g's, 2 ejector filled medium-sized canelbacks, 2 s-curves with ejector and laterals, 2 helices with positive g's, and 2 ejector filled bunny hops.

Basically, literally everything you could want from a hyper coaster layout.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kickflipbacktail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:08 pm

For me the most consistently enjoyable coaster layout has got to be Afterburn at Carowinds. It's not my favorite coaster ever, mainly because it's not the most intense coaster I've ridden by any means, but it's pacing is just flawless. It attacks its inversions one after the other giving you no time to breathe. It's by far my favorite B&M invert followed closely by Raptor.

However, a ride I havent ridden that I think has a conceptually better layout is The Voyage at Holiday World. I will be trying out that ride this summer so I can't wait to see if it lives up to what I have in my head. Same goes for Boulder Dash on all counts.
If it aint broke RMC the hell out of it. If it is broke.... RMC THE HELL OUT OF IT!!

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:16 pm

I forgot to mention V2: Vertical Velocity (SFDK) since that coaster has the best layout for a shuttle coaster even though it's all red color scheme is UGLY!. Another honorable mention (to me) would be Kennywood's original Steel Phantom's layout, the inversion made the coaster better in terms of looks even though the original SP color scheme was just bland, but the Phantom's Revenge is good even without inversions.
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:25 pm

"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 pm

I think this topic will be very easily confused with best roller coaster. I bet were going to be seeing more than a few I-305's, Mavericks, El Toro's, Outlaw Runs and Fury 325's. Just a hunch.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Skull Mountain obviously.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Best overall layout:
Drachen Fire
Eagle Fortress
Medusa Steel Coaster
Montu

Best Layout thanks to Themeing:
Black Mamba
Nemesis

Honorable Mention:
The Beast. While not all of it is the most exciting, the low to the ground nature of how it follows the terrain, coupled with totally unique ride path makes this an all time favorite of mine. I don't think the same layout would be as good on different terrain.

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 am

Best wood coaster layouts:
The Voyage: I once saw someone say in an article "It's an out & back that rides like a twister." I couldn't agree more. No other wood coaster I've seen packs so much variety, action, and intensity into one ride, and no other wood coaster I've ridden carries its speed so well until the very end thanks to its downhill terrain in the last half. The pacing is insane from start to finish, and not one moment of the ride feels awkward or out of place. Honestly, the amount of airtime thrown in is just a bonus to me. It's the sheer pacing, intensity, and length of the ride that make it my favorite wood coaster to this day.

The Beast: There is literally no other wood coaster in the world like it. It's so radically different from all the others in that it completely relies on its raw speed and terrain-hugging turns and straightaways to give its thrill, and the finale, with its slow climb up the second lift hill, long shallow ramp that gradually increases in speed and banking, and lateral slamming double helix, is the most well-designed finale to a roller coaster I can think of. It's quite a theatrical ride when you think about it! And I think it's that theatricality that makes it a favorite for so many people.

Best steel coaster layouts:
Millennium Force: After thinking a long time about this, I've decided that MF is the most beautiful looking steel coaster ever created. With its monolithic lift hill, gigantic airtime hills, and symmetrical overbanked turns, you just can't help but stare at it in awe. Also, while the pacing of the ride isn't the quickest in the world, it's SO good at keeping its speed through the entire ride. It doesn't ever feel slow, and that speed feeling is magnified by the openness of the trains. It's probably the most comfortably thrilling roller coaster in the world if that makes sense.

Mind Bender (SFOG): A classic in every sense of the word. Mind Bender is probably the most FUN looping coaster ever with its perfectly placed circular loops, positive g crushing inclined helix, and surprise airtime moments, it always gets me laughing by the end.

Kumba: It's layout sequence has been repeated a ton, but this one still feels original and exciting if only for one reason: lightning-fast pacing! Kumba goes through its inversions much faster than several newer B&M loopers, and it still rides (relatively) smooth to this day. A perfect representation of B&M at their peak.

Honorable Mentions:
Coney Island Cyclone
Batman: The Ride (B&M)
The Raven
Raptor
Montu
Flight of Fear
Lightning Racer
Great American Scream Machine (SFOG)
Incredible Hulk
Dueling Dragons
Thunderhead

Just to name a few LOL. There's a lot of layouts I like.

Edit: Good lord I'm such a nerd. :lol: I love it.
Last edited by SFOGdude25 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:44 pm.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby BuffaloWingRider » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:11 am

Afterburn and Phantoms Revenge, havent ridden either but the layouts seem pretty awesome.
Coaster Count: 45
1. Top Thrill Dragster 2. Goliath (SFGAm) 3. Gatekeeper 4. Millennium Force 5. Renegade 6. The Wild Thing 7. Maverick 8. Magnum XL200 9. X-flight 10. Raging Bull

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!