Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Re: Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Postby jconsolmagno » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:21 pm

Funny enough, there is a guy in a Wildwood Facebook group I'm in, that works for Morey's Piers. He said about a week back, that the Sea Serpent is getting changes done to it's entrance, as well as the ride itself. Perhaps the 4 million dollar investment is into all 3 major coasters?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:06 am

I've been following this dudes youtube channel for a minute. He is an artist/painter and works for Morey's hand painting their rides, among other things. His channel is generally awesome but here is a video showing how they hand paint the tea cups each season. Pretty amazing detail. There is also a nice little bit of drone footage of the piers and beach at the end of the clip. The rest of his channel is pretty entertaining as well.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby jconsolmagno » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Heard on good word, that Great Nor-easter will be fully re-tracked, closing Labor Day 2016 in hopes that it is ready to go by July 4th weekend 2017 from a Morey's employee on Facebook. Does retracking this type of coaster usually take 10 months? This coaster was built for 5.5 million in 1995, they are about to pay the same to have it retracked. Me personally, I love this coaster and how it goes in and out of the Ocean Oasis water park. As long as you keep your head back, it's an enjoyable ride, I'm not sure a re-track of this can really improve it. Has Raptor at Cedar Point ever been re-tracked? To me that's one of my fav coasters like this.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:22 am

^It isn't overly common for rides like these (Vekoma SLCs) to be 100% re-tracked, rather having problem sections removed and replaced with new track to smooth out the rough spots. They upgraded the trains back in 2006 to add the new SLC vest-style harnesses, which was a significant investment. I'm not sure that Moreys Piers would spend the money to rebuild the Nor'easter from scratch as it wouldn't yield a significant return on investment for them--the general public will ride rough coasters more often than not (exactly why The Rollercoaster/Manhattan Express is still running in Las Vegas at New York, New York) without caring in the long run just how rough it is (Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg being one particular exception).
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:47 am

This is a very interesting development. If they do re-track it with the new Vekoma track this could be a really stellar addition.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby boldikus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:27 am

Sooooo maybe the retracking of the Nor'easter was a typo?

The Wildwood Boardwalk FB page just posted this drone video of retracking currently going on over at The Great White. Not that it really needed it, but I guess now we can rejoice!? If anything I'm happy that turnaround before the bunnyhops is getting the treatment, it was easily the most jarring part of the ride. Also, wonder if Martin & Vleminckx and doing the retracking since they did this a few years ago?

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:01 pm

boldikus wrote:Sooooo maybe the retracking of the Nor'easter was a typo?

I had a sneaking suspicion!

The Wildwood Boardwalk FB page just posted this drone video of retracking currently going on over at The Great White. Not that it really needed it, but I guess now we can rejoice!?

I'll just be happy if I can get on it this year. When I was there last year, the only coasters I hit were Flitzer and Doo-Wopper since it was just me and my 4-year-old, and he didn't quite reach the height requirement for Rollies Coaster. With any luck, he'll hit a growth spurt this year and be able to make it onto Great White (oh yeah... and El Toro!).
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Greatescapelover » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Adding on to what Boldikus said, here's an article that details the 2016 plans! Aside from the Great White re-tracking (Thanks Morey's!), Kang-a-Bounce will be back for now in Sky Coaster's spot, the Go-Karts have been removed from Surfside and they report they will be relocated to Adventure Pier to join the existing Go-Karts (Bigger, better track?). They also mention the maze will be re-located to Tornado's spot on Adventure.

Back to Great White, I'm happy to see it get some new wood. Certainly not the roughest coaster in the world, but it definitely has gotten rougher over the past few years.

Postby boldikus » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:38 pm

^ Ummmm... link? ;)

It's interesting they are removing the go-kart track from Surfside. Not only has it been there forever, BUT more interesting about that is the path of the tunnel after the the first drop on the old infamous pier-spanning GCI that never seems to be happening would actually go right where that track is they are removing. Hmmmmm...

Also I guess they are expanding the go-karts track on Adventure Pier into the spot where the maze was, if they are in fact moving it. Both of those go kart courses (Surfside & Adventure) I've always felt are super lame compared to the course on Mariners. Its twisty, has elevation changes, its mostly under the boardwalk, and the little hop on the back straightaway where you can get a little air if you are going fast enough has always been one of the best things ever.

TGW didn't really need new wood but I'll take it. Like I said that 3rd turnaround (before the bunnyhops) was brutal but the rest was fine. So nice to see them taking care of their best ride.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Greatescapelover » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Whoops! Sorry here's the link http://wildwoodvideoarchive.com/new-at-moreys-piers-for-2016/

1. Morey’s Piers motel, The Starlux, will be adding a brand new, top of the line, mini golf course. Future plans calls for The Starlux to expand and add 60 more rooms! My personal opinion is that this is great! Finally a new motel (at-least something like it) will be built here in the Wildwoods. Here you can see a video of construction workers ripping up the concrete on the first day of construction.

2. Morey’s Piers decided to part ways with the Sky Coaster on Surfside Pier. Do not worry about losing this attraction as Adventure Pier houses it’s sister ride. We will touch base on this below and at the end of the article.

3. Kanga Bounce is coming back this year. This ride will be located right where the Sky Coaster used to be. Let’s be honest, this was a fun ride and a kid favorite. Pictured here is a photo Morey’s Pier’s posted of the Kanga Bounce being painted.
Kanga Bounce Paint Moreys Piers

4. Formula One Raceway, the Go Karts on Surfside Pier, have been removed. Do not worry though, they have been moved down to Adventure Pier’s Grand Prix Go Kart track. Rumor has it that a new Go Kart track will also be built, but it’s just a rumor. In the drone video, you can see where the steps of the Formula One Raceway used to be. They are now covered up in new wood.

5. The Great White Roller Coaster is getting re-tracked. For those who don’t know what I talking about, it means that the old track is being ripped up and a new one put down so that you, the rider, has a smoother ride. In the drone video, you can see the workers working on the track.

6. The Tornado on Adventure Pier has been removed. As far as keeping the ride, I don’t think too many people will be missing it.

7. The Maze is getting moved into the Tornado’s spot right in between the Screamin’ Swing and Sky Coaster. My guess it’s to make room for a new Go Kart track.

These next things have been reported by The Press of Atlantic City

8. Expansion of the seating section at Joe’s Fish Company at Surfside Pier

9. Expanding Raging Waters Water Park.

10. Replacing the track on the Great Nor’easter roller coaster costing Morey’s Piers $4 million.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:23 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!