TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Delayed mini trip report. I went on MLK day this year (1/18) and while the park was pretty crowded, I was able to get on the majority of rides, except for that darn Peter Pan's Flight, which had a 70 minute wait all day.

I stayed from 10:00 a.m through 6:00 p.m. and did the following:

Space Mountain (fast pass)

Splash Mountain (fast pass)

Pirates of the Caribbean (fast pass)

Thunder Mountain

Haunted Mansion - this was much cooler when I was younger

Jungle Cruise

It's a Small World

Hall of Presidents

Tomorrowland Speedway

Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid

Ate lunch and grabbed some ice cream (~45 mins total)

Monster's Inc was closed, as was Buzz Lightyear. Didn't have interest in Seven Dwarfs Train or kiddie rides.

In my opinion, unless you've got kids that are slowing you down (which I recognize most do) or you want to literally do every attraction, there's no reason you can't fit Magic Kingdom into one day. One thing I love - fast pass. One thing I don't like - the lack of casual dining options (i.e. go up to the window and grab some chicken fingers, burger, etc.)

You rode Small World but passed on the chance to ride a new, pretty cool roller coaster???

You did the hall of presidents but pass on the chance to ride a new, pretty cool roller coaster???

Dude . . .

Edited by robbalvey

You rode Small World but passed on the chance to ride a new, pretty cool roller coaster???

You did the hall of presidents but pass on the change to ride a new, pretty cool roller coaster???

Dude . . .

I wouldn't blame him with those wait times, especially if he didn't use a fastpass for it.

You left out a few important factors in your visit.....

1. it takes a LOT longer to do things when you have kids. Diaper changes, meltdowns, bathroom breaks, i'm thirsty/hungry, and just the fact that they do not move as fast as an adult does. If you have smaller children, you also have to factor in the parent swaps as well.

2. Not everyone wants to do the same attractions as you did.We would have wanted to do a bunch more/ different attractions as you did. Seven dwarfs and meeting mickey for one.....

3. Once you add in parades, shows, fireworks...ect, most of the day is gone. You also have to factor in re-rides on attractions that the kids love and want to go on again.

You did the hall of presidents but pass on the change to ride a new, pretty cool roller coaster???

Dude . . .

I wouldn't blame him with those wait times, especially if he didn't use a fastpass for it.

What wait times? I only see one wait time and that was for peter pan . . .

One thing I don't like - the lack of casual dining options (i.e. go up to the window and grab some chicken fingers, burger, etc.)

Are you kidding??? Magic Kingdom used to get so much grief because quick-serve was pretty much ALL they had for the longest time...

- Casey's Corner

- Columbia Harbor House

- Cosmic Ray's

- Gaston's Tavern

- Pecos Bill

- Village Haus

- Sleepy Hollow

- Friar's Nook

- Lunching Pad

- Tortuga Tavern

And that doesn't even include many smaller kiosks or even Be Our Guest, which is also a quick-serve during the day, but harder to get into. I mean, with all that, Really??? You couldn't find quick-service food options in the park!?!??!

Edited by robbalvey

And that doesn't even include many smaller kiosks or even Be Our Guest, which is also a quick-serve during the day, but harder to get into. I mean, with all that, Really??? You couldn't find quick-service food options in the park!?!??!

You expect people to actually read the map for options? Ha!

One thing I don't like - the lack of casual dining options (i.e. go up to the window and grab some chicken fingers, burger, etc.)

Are you kidding??? Magic Kingdom used to get so much grief because quick-serve was pretty much ALL they had for the longest time...

- Casey's Corner

- Columbia Harbor House

- Cosmic Ray's

- Gaston's Tavern

- Pecos Bill

- Village Haus

- Sleepy Hollow

- Friar's Nook

- Lunching Pad

- Tortuga Tavern

What I've found is that people that may be unfamiliar with Disney's park structure and are more familiar with the Six Flags/Cedar Fair methodology can be intimidated, for lack of a better word, by Disney's indoor quick service counters. Whether that's due to the time it takes to go in, or that you can't see the length of the lines before entering, or perceived price of an established "brick and mortar" facility in an amusement park, I'm not sure.

I agree that to say Magic Kingdom lacks quick-service options is way off base (harbor house is one of my favorite quick service restaurants on property). However, I can see how someone familiar with SF/CF would see many of the above options, excluding Firar's, Sleepy Hollow, and Lunching Pad, as somewhere between quick service and table service.

What I've found is that people that may be unfamiliar with Disney's park structure and are more familiar with the Six Flags/Cedar Fair methodology can be intimidated, for lack of a better word, by Disney's indoor quick service counters. Whether that's due to the time it takes to go in, or that you can't see the length of the lines before entering, or perceived price of an established "brick and mortar" facility in an amusement park, I'm not sure.

I agree that to say Magic Kingdom lacks quick-service options is way off base (harbor house is one of my favorite quick service restaurants on property). However, I can see how someone familiar with SF/CF would see many of the above options, excluding Firar's, Sleepy Hollow, and Lunching Pad, as somewhere between quick service and table service.

If indoor quick service counters are too intimidating, how on earth did that guy ever eat a McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc? All of them require entry into the building unless going through the drive-thru. There's no possible way that could be an excuse.

If indoor quick service counters are too intimidating, how on earth did that guy ever eat a McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc? All of them require entry into the building unless going through the drive-thru. There's no possible way that could be an excuse.

You're discussing 2 completely different scenarios. Movement and comfortability inside a park are completely different than the same outside a park. People base their choices on familiarity and if ordering inside at an amusement isn't familiar, they may avoid it altogether.

You're discussing 2 completely different scenarios. Movement and comfortability inside a park are completely different than the same outside a park. People base their choices on familiarity and if ordering inside at an amusement isn't familiar, they may avoid it altogether.

"Comfortability"? That's a new one on me.

There are plenty of quick-serve options at the Magic Kingdom. They're not hard to find.

"Comfortability"? That's a new one on me.

There are plenty of quick-serve options at the Magic Kingdom. They're not hard to find.

Not to mention some of said quick-service options are as good, if not better than some full service options. Just my .02...

Exactly! I never had any issues and I am an extraordinarily picky eater. If I was to recommend anything as a quick serve I would go for the Anna and Elsa rice crispy treats! They are amazing!

IMG_7054.thumb.JPG.da30a6882dc12255aa014e573b01b667.JPG

If this doesn't make you either think I'm more retarded than you originally believed or want to try a Frozen Rice Crispy treat I don't know what will!

- Casey's Corner

- Columbia Harbor House

- Cosmic Ray's

- Gaston's Tavern

- Pecos Bill

- Village Haus

- Sleepy Hollow

- Friar's Nook

- Lunching Pad

- Tortuga Tavern

What I've found is that people that may be unfamiliar with Disney's park structure and are more familiar with the Six Flags/Cedar Fair methodology can be intimidated, for lack of a better word, by Disney's indoor quick service counters.

If someone finds the process of opening a door and entering a building too formal a step to procure chicken fingers, then all hope for them is lost. Disney ain't the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Read somewhere that Big Thunder Mountain is down from April to July this year. Is this true? Gutted if it is.

I have seen this info on several different fan sites, but when we called to book our upcoming trip in July I asked about it and they said no refurbishment is planned.

Not sure what to believe, as sometimes the people on the other end of the phone are not necessarily the most informed.

This just in...

All New “Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire” Show Brings Joyful Celebration to Walt Disney World Resort

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Joining the lineup of unparalleled Walt Disney World Resort entertainment, “Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire” will immerse guests in a royal musical celebration set to debut this summer on the Cinderella Castle stage at Magic Kingdom Park.

Mickey Mouse and his pals unite in a tale of friendship featuring songs and characters from Disney’s contemporary classics “Princess and the Frog,” “Tangled” and “Frozen.”

From the land of the bewitching bayous, Goofy has invited Princess Tiana, Naveen and Louis to add a little spice of New Orleans jazz to the party. Donald Duck brings some new friends he met in the land of the enchanted woods, where Daisy Duck introduces us to her special guests, Rapunzel and Flynn. Finally, Mickey Mouse shares a surprise with Minnie Mouse, as he has traveled to the land of the mystic mountains to invite Olaf, Princess Anna, and Queen Elsa, who swirls a blast of her icy magic.

The celebration culminates in a grand dance, marked by a magical fireworks finale. “Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire” will be presented multiple times daily.

FriendshipFaire-PnF_Landscape_ForRelease.thumb.png.e9d80605a0639e9fb33dbd0fbeb54bde.png

FriendshipFaire-Tangled_FullCastle_ForRelease.thumb.png.4bfe4b2ccac9ee978757f8a60a46004e.png

Just read on another site (don't know whether appropriate to name) about Big Thunder closing April-July. Seems a very strange time to do a rehab. Not sure my 4 year old would have braved it and been on the Paris one more recently so not the end of the world I suppose. Although finding out Toy Story Mania closing in same article was more annoying.

I have to say, it's about time Tiana and Naveen get in a show. The Princess and the Frog is criminally under-rated. I hope they do a villain segment like in Dream Along with Mickey but include Facilier instead of Maleficent.

Big Thunder closing April-July. Seems a very strange time to do a rehab.

Keep it open for the spring break crowds, kill it for a big rehab for the end of the school year, open it back up in time for the majority of summer crowds. Seems smart to me.