TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Well according to a couple of sources, not everybody will be sent to the metal detectors. Apparently guests will be selected "at random" for the additional screening. So get ready for the real pain - listening to the whining and seeing the grievance industry running to anyone who instantly thinks they're now a victim of racism, profiling and whatever else for being among those selected.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

It is a sad reality, but like with the increased security at airports post-9/11, it is an added precaution that can only help, not hurt. It may be viewed as a nuisance to some, but safety is the first priority for all of these parks, so it makes total sense to move in this direction if other major tourist destinations are doing the same.

I was actually at the park last night. We did the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas party and we got there right around when everyone else was. And from what i saw, it was mainly people who brought bags to the park that were going through the metal detectors. And it was going pretty smoothly as well. Didnt seem like a lot of people were complaining about it either.

Also, the banning of toy gun sales? Incredibly dumb. Beyond dumb. The contradictions to that are already everywhere. Kids can ride Astro Blasters/Space Ranger Spin but now can't buy the little toy gun blaster when they get off the ride because... that'll turn them into the next mass shooter? We can't have the little toy guns but toy light sabers are cool, toy swords, toy ball & chains, other forms of toy weaponry are great right? Are they next to be banned because we're now buying this insane logic? Ughh. This is the kind of thing that makes me hate humanity.

^If they pull all this themed shooting stuff of the shelves, I'll bet the already owned, unopened ones

will suddenly (pardon) "shoot" up in value for collectors, yes? No?

(Wishing I'd bought an Astro Blaster in DisneyParis, back in Sept.)

We went to the Studios this past weekend and I noticed the metal detectors. They didn't seem to be causing any problems at all (I wasn't asked to go through them.)

As far as toy gun sales, I don't recall ever seeing any toy guns in the first place. Like ever.

All and all, it was a nice visit. We went with some friends to see the Osborne Family Lights with some friends since it is the last season for them. The place was PACKED, but we still enjoyed ourselves and got to check out the Star Wars Launch Bay, which was cool.

Last week when I visited my sister she said they expected to close the doors by 2pm. Saw on twitter today that they hit full capacity by 10am. Can't even imagine what that is like. Traffic must of been hell. Then saw that around 3pm the attendance fell a little so the park opened back up to the public. They were in "Phase A."

image.thumb.jpg.fc169112c78c5261f7edc6403d19cebe.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.df22daf55959994307ea0beda6cbc818.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!

Here are the Magic Kingdom fireworks as seen from the Polynesian Resort. This is one of my favorite places to watch the NYE fireworks at Walt Disney World since this one of the few times of the year they not only light off fireworks from behind the castle, but also from the islands in the lagoon. When you're in the park it feels like there are fireworks literally all around you, because there are, but from this view, you get this amazing display of fireworks and their reflection on the lake! AND... you're not dealing with the THOUSANDS of people inside the park!

PRO TIP! Walt Disney World also does their NYE fireworks on December 30th (which is when we shot this) for a couple of reasons - for one it gives them a dress rehearsal for the NYE fireworks the next night, and also since there are just so many people on property over the holidays, it gives even more people a chance to see the show. So technically, New Years Eve happens at Magic Kingdom TWO nights in a row!

Enjoy the show....

Wow! Looks like one hell of a show. Saw the gridlocked freeways and toll plazas yesterday and it looked miserable. Watching from the Polynesian definitely looked like the better way to view the show. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Looks like one hell of a show. Saw the gridlocked freeways and toll plazas yesterday and it looked miserable. Watching from the Polynesian definitely looked like the better way to view the show. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, we don't go anywhere NEAR the parks on New Years Eve! The night before we got to Poly about an hour before the show and just walked right up to a perfect spot! It did fill up later and about 10 minutes before the show started it was crowded, but not uncomfortable. In fact, there were people that walked up just moments before the show started and still got a very good view.

It's one of the best kept secrets (even though the NYE show is right there on the WDW website for both nights) that they do the fireworks on the 30th as well as the 31st. And IMO, this is a MUCH better view that being inside the park because no matter where you are inside the park, your view is sort of obstructed from seeing all the perimeter and lagoon fireworks as well.

Yea I'll definitely keep the Polynesian in mind when my fiancé and I go back in October for Food & Wine. I did notice however that MK's fireworks show is about 10 minutes shorter than DLR's. I wonder what the reasoning is for that. Also, Illuminations at Epcot is f*cking amazing! Was really impressed by the finale. Too bad LuminAria @ DCA was doomed from the beginning.

Yea I'll definitely keep the Polynesian in mind when my fiancé and I go back in October for Food & Wine. I did notice however that MK's fireworks show is about 10 minutes shorter than DLR's.

I'm not sure what you mean. Wishes is 13 minutes and the new Disneyland Fireworks are just shy of 15 minutes. Also remember that Wishes throws up a TON of huge pyro in the air, shells that Disneyland aren't even allowed to use because of being in the middle of Anaheim, and those are expensive! But as far as the length of the two shows goes, they are very similar.

I'm not sure what you mean. Wishes is 13 minutes and the new Disneyland Fireworks are just shy of 15 minutes. Also remember that Wishes throws up a TON of huge pyro in the air, shells that Disneyland aren't even allowed to use because of being in the middle of Anaheim, and those are expensive! But as far as the length of the two shows goes, they are very similar.

Good points. No idea why I thought "Forever" was longer than Wishes.

Yeah, we don't go anywhere NEAR the parks on New Years Eve! The night before we got to Poly about an hour before the show and just walked right up to a perfect spot! It did fill up later and about 10 minutes before the show started it was crowded, but not uncomfortable. In fact, there were people that walked up just moments before the show started and still got a very good view.

It's one of the best kept secrets (even though the NYE show is right there on the WDW website for both nights) that they do the fireworks on the 30th as well as the 31st. And IMO, this is a MUCH better view that being inside the park because no matter where you are inside the park, your view is sort of obstructed from seeing all the perimeter and lagoon fireworks as well.

I've been to EPCOT on NYE before and it's honestly not that bad just because that park is massive. You might not be able to get a prime viewing spot for Illuminations but you can grab a drink and hang out anywhere around the World Showcase or even in Future World and still have a pretty good view of the NYE fireworks. And all of the extra DJ booths and stuff they have set around the park really seem to spread the crowds out a bit. I wouldn't consider going anywhere near Magic Kingdom that day but I'd go back to Epcot again.

This past year the Fiancee's parents got a DVC Studio for the 4 of us at Poly (MK View), and it's quite nice to be able to open up your balcony or porch and watch the fireworks. Definitely worth it if anyone is local. Didn't have to fight crowds, and were able to bring our own things to eat/drink!

• 2 weeks later...

Great video of the fireworks Robb.

I was actually crazy enough to torture myself with 5 hours of camping out in front of the castle on New Years Eve to watch the fireworks. Here's a video that I took of the insanity and the sea of cell phones. It was a great show but I am not sure if I want to do the five hour wait thing again.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Going to a park on Monday and debating Magic Kingdom vs Animal Kingdom - will Magic Kingdom be significantly more crowded? Going to be possible to get on a good amount of rides? Last year I could reserve some rides when I went to Epcot - guessing it will be too late now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people.

I went to Mk today for the energy and waves tour. Which, consists of the Haunted Mansion, Stitch's Great Escape(I hated it) and, Mickey's Phillarmgic(meh). I was pretty cool going behind the scenes for the Ballroom scene.After the tour, we went on Space Mountain twice and, Pirates of the Caribbean. It was pretty cool, other than the fact that, someone in my group decided that buying lightsabers is more fun than going on the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train.

You
It was pretty cool' date=' other than the fact that, someone in my group decided that buying lightsabers is more fun than going on the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train.[/quote'] You picked the wrong group to hang out with.

I didn't choose those people. The people I actually chose agreed with me.