Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BANNED FOR BEING A DICK

Postby Gregory DG » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:17 pm

That whole "Project Gemini" smacks of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea debacle. Engineers & maintenance people conspire to get the attraction demolished because they're tired of doing their job. So the EPCOT people are tired of keeping the place "futuristic." Lazy SOBs. That's what you're hired to do. Now do it!

Thankfully, the $500 million it would cost to change it is a serious impediment from it ever happening. But don't think they won't keep trying. Eventually, they may win out if they can convice the higher ups that "this attraction costs too much to maintain. Let's demolish it and put in a bunch of trees!" Image

Some of the ideas sound okay, but c'mon... Discoveryland? Thrill rides? Don't we have enough parks with thrill rides? Is there no room in the world for a park like EPCOT? Why not just take the $500 million and build another park?

And what's going on with Wonders of Life? I'm gonna be miffed if they demolish that one. Image

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kcgreg » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:28 pm

I was just watching the other day a show on Travel Channel about the secrets behind DisneyWorld. How EPCOT was orginally supposed to be a duel city-attraction where people would actually live and work while tourists visit. They scratched that idea, stuck with the futuristic approach, and incorporated fun learning for families.

EPCOT opened, but families still weren't sold on the idea of learning while on vacation so the imagineers added thrill rides.

Go Figure! Disney thinks they need to add more thrill rides. Six Flags thinks they need less thrill rides. Can one park achieve a happy medium?!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Bk1870 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:12 pm

/\ Pretty interesting there....

To me, Epcot has to have some type of thrill rides to keep it thriving...if it was just a huge theme park with nothing more than expensive exhibits you can see at your local Disovery Place downtown, they why go?

But not keeping Epcot to its intended idea/roots and making it an ultra-expensive theme park would be pointless, so just adding rides wouldn't be too good...a little of both could be a good median maybe? :mickey:

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby smallish » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:25 pm

Epcot rides should be like Adventures thru inner space. You only get a once in a lifetime chance to get "shrunk", so it's very unique, but then you see subatomic particles whizzing by and other actually stuff once you get shrunk. Epcot should be a place where you can get shrunk, go to outer space, be a crash test dummy, go under the sea, etc. all while being completely safe.

Epcot should add a ride in the living seas pavillion where you go to the bottom of the sea in a submarine in search of a giant squid.

Of course I've never even been to Epcot so I don't know much about the park.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby dougr » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:30 pm

Could make a launching coaster into some kind of launching vehicle.
Slightly OT, but if DCA is supposed to be a California "experience", shouldn't they have a couple more coasters?
Maybe an Expedition Everest rethemed to, say, the Donner party? :|

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Another Tragedy on Mission Space

Postby -Zingo- » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:31 pm

The local news just reported that a 49-year-old woman died in the hospital today. She fell ill after riding Mission Space yesterday.

Here's a link with more info.

http://www2.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI18649/

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:03 pm

All I can think of is that this was probably a pre-existing condition. It's unfortunate anyway.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Postby Wes » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:07 pm

<-- Gary is sad.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby UberBeavis » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Did Horizons ever kill anybody? (Bored to death doesn't count)...

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:11 pm

I have GOT to ride this ride when im down there in 2 weeks!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!