TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Comet is one of the most underrated rollercoasters in the world. Nobody talks about it and the ride is an absolute beast.

The Comet is also 69 years old and runs a lot better than some woodies 1/4 its age. I wish that Charlie Wood would have ended up installing it here at Fantasy Island, but we got stuck with an overrated knock off.

I must disagree with your assessment of the Silver Comet. Its design is sound and would provide a good ride were it located in a park whose personnel knew how to operate it efficiently. In those first seasons it operated it was easily the best coaster on the Niagara Frontier.

The reason why I feel like it is overrated is because it is not a balanced ride. The front seat offers a smooth, forceful ride. But the back has no airtime besides the first drop. It is not balanced like the original Comet, and that's why I feel it is overrated. Yes, the Silver Comet is well taken care of and could be a great ride, but the front is the only seat with good force.

• 3 weeks later...

SFNE online just posted on their Facebook page a picture of a mystery crate that appeared at TGE today, apparently next to Thunder Alley. I'm going to the park today or tomorrow, so I'll try to take a photo and post it here. I really wonder what it could be, and that actually makes me a little bit more excited for 2016 as I wasn't expecting anything from the park!

EDIT : here's a picture of the crate I got while I was eating an ice cream cone at Martha's, I didn't bothered to get inside the park but I will tomorrow. Until then SFNEonline has pretty good pictures on their FB page as I said above.

rsz_img_20150814_143351.jpg.5bbba41eaa17fb3012ff89dfa0a2ad0d.jpg

And here's the mystery crate!

Made my way to the park for the first time. Extremely disappointed at the idiotic "no sudden movements" policy on the Flyers, especially since snapping them doesn't even need "sudden movements" but I get told to stop anyways. I was a gently steering in and out, snapping better than expected, and the lady says "for your safety, please no sudden movements." If the policy was "no snapping," I can respect it, but they don't even know what policy they're trying to enforce. What is this world coming to?

I really hope they don't make the mistake of removing the bobsleds, its their only unique coaster other than the comet really. The one thing however working against it is the curfew of closing it at 6pm due to the noise (which I always thought was ridiculous). They have room in this town to expand if they just remove the old nightmare building, or better yet they should add a new ride in the existing building, a spinning coaster or something along those lines would be a great fit for a family park like Great Escape. I just feel the bobsled is more unique than everything other than the Comet. Personally its my second favorite in the park after Comet, which unfortunately isn't saying much.

• 2 weeks later...

Lightning is Headed for The Great Escape!

926257757_ScreenShot2015-09-03at06_33_34.thumb.png.49004b5febdb915a9397838fabfccc05.png

Six Flags Great Escape Announces 2016 Thrill Ride

Six Flags Great Escape today announced the addition of the hair-raising Greezed Lightnin’ in 2016. The all-new super looping thrill ride will rocket guests 360 degrees, reach exhilarating speeds and leave them hanging, waiting for more.

Greezed Lightnin’ will seat 24 riders in “face-off” position and begin to rock forward and backward, pendulum style. Once the train reaches maximum height, guests experience one of the longest suspended hang-times – over 70 feet in the air, upside down. Thrill seekers are then hurled through a series of seven full inversions, both frontward and backward, offering sheer looping mayhem.

The new attraction will be located across from Thunder Alley in one of the most historic and visible sections of the park. Greezed Lightnin’s impressive lights and flames will transport guests back in time with its 1950’s theme and hot rod inspiration.

“From high speeds, to suspenseful hang time and countless inversions, Greezed Lightnin’ will rev up the engine of every thrill seeker,” said Eric Gilbert, park president, Six Flags Great Escape Resort. “We are also excited that the ride will have a flashy 50’s theme to ‘recharge’ this historic section of our park.”

Six Flags Great Escape is also announcing the start of 2016 Season Pass sales with its special Flash Sale through Labor Day weekend featuring the best deal of the year – savings up to 65% off on 2016 Passes! September 3 through September 7, guests will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Season Pass with every Pass purchased. Gold Season Passes include admission to both Six Flags Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom, and any other Six Flags theme park, as well as free parking and special admission for friends. 2016 Season Passes provide unlimited visits to Fright Fest® at Six Flags Great Escape in 2015 and all of 2016.

- See more at: https://www.sixflags.com/greatescape/attractions/new-2016/news-release#sthash.rGTc9Blt.dpuf

2016NewCapital_OneSheet1.thumb.jpg.3ef578be1366406b29b8be4fff8f3552.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Glad to see they at least added a new thrill ride instead of another water park addition, but it s still a huge letdown to Great Escape fans. Many were expecting a real coaster this year, oh well maybe next year will be the year. At least they are finally listening about adding more thrill rides. At least they aren't claiming its a coaster like all the super loops last year.

Glad to see they at least added a new thrill ride instead of another water park addition, but it s still a huge letdown to Great Escape fans. Many were expecting a real coaster this year, oh well maybe next year will be the year. At least they are finally listening about adding more thrill rides. At least they aren't claiming its a coaster like all the super loops last year.

On Facebook they didn't claim it was a coaster, but they did announce it as a "Looping Coaster" in the newsletter.

Of course that's a new thrill ride, but still very disappointing.

Leave it to Six Flags to pull an old ride title out of the archive and make it new again... I'd imagine several Six Flags AstroWorld fans' ears perked up when they heard this title.

Or Kentucky Kingdom fans

Or California's Great American fans

Or Knott's Fans

Or all the other parks that had rides themed to Greased Lightnin'

I"m thinking of heading out to Fright Fest this season. Is Fright Fest a separate charge event, or can you ride the Comet all day then hit the haunted houses at night? I'm thinking of getting a season pass for next year then upgrading to the 2016 Gold Pass, and Great Escape is the closes Six Flags property to me.

I"m thinking of heading out to Fright Fest this season. Is Fright Fest a separate charge event, or can you ride the Comet all day then hit the haunted houses at night? I'm thinking of getting a season pass for next year then upgrading to the 2016 Gold Pass, and Great Escape is the closes Six Flags property to me.

Fright Fest isn't a separate event as you have access to all of the park's rides as usual. However, for the haunted houses several are free while others (like the one in and around Nightmare) require an additional fee. The Great Escape has a part of its website concerning Fright Fest, so have a look for more infos : https://frightfest.sixflags.com/greatescape/

• 2 months later...
So, any word yet on the fate of the Alpine Bobsled coaster?

That ride is that old car that you know is going to die someday, but it just keeps chugging along. I really hope the park keeps it, but one of these years it won't survive. I have a feeling the park's next coaster will come once the bobsled is removed.