TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

[attachment=0]unnamed.jpg[/attachment]

Does anybody know why they took down the swings without telling anybody. Even if it was a refurbishment I think they would say it on their facebook page

No need to freak out... I can't go into details, but expect it to be back up and running asap. Remember this ride is a trailer model so it's meant to be fully disassembled if need be.

Hey SkaUnit! Any details on the new maze coming this year or any good haunt/park stuff coming up? Stoked to have an awesome park resource right here on TPR, and an OpIvy (guessing) fan as well

Yup OpIvy and just ska fan in general (rancid, reel big fish, old school sublime, monkey, etc.)

I don't know when the haunt announcement is coming, but I know I can get in trouble for giving anything away. I don't really know all the details myself and am excited for the announcement.

There is a decent chance that CGA will be the first CF park I visit in 2016... From my brief checking around, it would appear that all the CF Platinum Passes, regardless of park of origin, are the same price - currently $189.00. Is that correct? Also, will the price go up after November 1, and does it matter which park I buy it from and get the voucher? (ie: if I order it from CGA before Nov. 1, but don't end up making it out there after all, am I screwed?) Thanks in advance for all the assistance! It has been many moons since I've purchased a CF season pass, and they are different now.

There is a decent chance that CGA will be the first CF park I visit in 2016... From my brief checking around, it would appear that all the CF Platinum Passes, regardless of park of origin, are the same price - currently $189.00. Is that correct? Also, will the price go up after November 1, and does it matter which park I buy it from and get the voucher? (ie: if I order it from CGA before Nov. 1, but don't end up making it out there after all, am I screwed?) Thanks in advance for all the assistance! It has been many moons since I've purchased a CF season pass, and they are different now.

My suggestion? Buy it now and get it processed this year. Either buy from Michigan's Adventure or Cedar Point and that way you don't really have much risk involved. Buying now also gets you one visit this year, so you could buy it and already start making your money back by a visit to CP or MiA. That and its already processed so you don't have to stress about being screwed or not.

Anyone that doesn't think Rougarou is lightyears better than Mantis is just whining for the sake of whining. Personally I think Rougarou is smoother than most floorless coasters (and they're all smooth) and it turned a piece of crap into a really solid ride.

Basically if you're one of those people that considers Raptor and Alpengeist rough then Rougarou is probably too rough for you. For the rest of us it's a very enjoyable ride.

I'm surprised Cedar Fair is going with another floorless conversion. Was Rougarou successful? I hear mixed reviews...some saying it's amazing and others saying it's worse than Mantis.

Can you direct me to someone saying it's worse than Mantis? That's almost ridiculous.

The absolute worst review I've read is that it eliminates the leg pain and ball crushing and is otherwise comparable to Mantis. From what I've heard the overwhelming majority think it's a huge improvement and rides much smoother.

I've visited the park numerous times before, and Mantis' que was always slacking, comparable to Mean Streak's. After my visit this year, I can assure that the GP LOVE this ride, and it had a full queue all day. It was a longer wait for Rougarou than Millennium Force on a Saturday.

Regardless if an enthusiasts likes it or not, the ride has certainly peeked in ridership this year, so that deems it a success.

I'm surprised Cedar Fair is going with another floorless conversion. Was Rougarou successful? I hear mixed reviews...some saying it's amazing and others saying it's worse than Mantis.

Doesn't matter if it was successful or not...Cedar Fair is purging all standup roller coasters. Carowinds will be the last one to go in 2017. We can only hope that Six Flags does the same thing. Standup coasters suck.

My suggestion? Buy it now and get it processed this year. Either buy from Michigan's Adventure or Cedar Point and that way you don't really have much risk involved. Buying now also gets you one visit this year, so you could buy it and already start making your money back by a visit to CP or MiA. That and its already processed so you don't have to stress about being screwed or not.

I think you're right about that being the best option. After looking at things a little more, I've decided I probably won't be heading out to Cali so early in the year anyway, so CGA won't be my first CF park. Thanks for the reply!

It's been a while since I've bought a pass from CGA or Knott's, but does a Platinum pass get you into both Haunts? It's been a few years since I've been to CGA Haunt but I really want to make it this year and hopefully Knott's as well!

Platinum will get you into both parks + CGA haunt. Knotts Scary Farm is extra

It's been a while since I've bought a pass from CGA or Knott's, but does a Platinum pass get you into both Haunts? It's been a few years since I've been to CGA Haunt but I really want to make it this year and hopefully Knott's as well!

Knott's literally charges extra for haunt even if you have a platinum pass? Are you kidding?

Thats the one big risk - you have to process at the park you purchase the pass from, so if you buy CGA and don't go go CGA, you cant use the pass anywhere else..so definitely purchase at your home park and process there, then even if you dont make it to CGA it's not a total waste.

Thats the one big risk - you have to process at the park you purchase the pass from, so if you buy CGA and don't go go CGA, you cant use the pass anywhere else..so definitely purchase at your home park and process there, then even if you dont make it to CGA it's not a total waste.

Thanks for your added input! I realized that I would be going too early in the year for RMC Roar (and maybe Floorless Vortex) to be open yet, so I think I'm going to go in the Fall instead. My brother lives in LA with his family, so I want to go visit him, and treat him to a coaster trip to SFMM, SFDK, and CGA!

Now, I suspect my first CF park next year will actually be Kings Island during my family vacation in late April. So, assuming the details for all that work out, I'll probably get the KI Platinum Pass. The only downside is, if KI, Dollywood, and KK don't set their 2016 schedules before Nov. 1, I won't get the discounted price... Hopefully, whatever it jumps to after that won't be TOO much more!

Doesn't matter if it was successful or not...Cedar Fair is purging all standup roller coasters. Carowinds will be the last one to go in 2017. We can only hope that Six Flags does the same thing. Standup coasters suck.

Six Flags is unlikely to do that. Georgia Scorcher is excellent. Riddler is sometimes excellent. Green Lantern Chang and Iron Apocalypse were just installed in their new homes.

Cedar Fair had the lower quality B&M stand ups.

Interestingly enough, this is pretty much true! Aside from finding Mantis better than "Iron Apocalypse", I do think Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern Chang are better than Mantis and certainly Carowinds' Vortex (the worst B&M Stand up I have ridden, easily!). I haven't ridden Georgia Scorcher or CGA Vortex personally, but everything I've heard about GS is that it is one of the best Stand-Ups out there. I makes me wonder why it is that SF had such better success with their models...?

Interestingly enough, this is pretty much true! Aside from finding Mantis better than "Iron Apocalypse", I do think Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern Chang are better than Mantis and certainly Carowinds' Vortex (the worst B&M Stand up I have ridden, easily!). I haven't ridden Georgia Scorcher or CGA Vortex personally, but everything I've heard about GS is that it is one of the best Stand-Ups out there. I makes me wonder why it is that SF had such better success with their models...?

With Iron Wold being the lone exception, they waited. There were three earlier, smaller models (two of which are Cedar Fair coasters), the three large stand up models, the later two are Six Flags' coasters, and Georgia Scorcher, which was just better engineered and is obviously much newer. If you do the same thing over and over, you're bound to get better at it. By the time Six Flags really got into the stand ups starting with Chang, they actually started to get decent.

Well I'm not sure if I'm going to Knott's of CGA any other time besides Haunt (and WCB). Gold Pass for CGA does work for Haunt, correct? And it would still work for Haunt next year?

What's the price of a single day ticket to Haunt and Scary Farm? I couldn't figure it out online, is it the same price as a regular single day ticket?