TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Julie rides Goliath (SFoG)

I decided a few weeks ago that I was gonna try to make it down to SFoG this "weekend" (Monday/Tuesday) to get in a ride on Goliath, else I probably wouldn't make it down there until late May or early June.

I drove down on Monday evening, and attempted to get my season pass voucher activated. I arrive at about 8:00pm, assuming that the pass processng center was open until park close. Of course not, it was just open until 7:00! So no Goliath credit for me on Monday! Boo.

I was staying with Joe (ParkTrips) Monday night, but had arrived really early, so did some shopping to kill some time. Eventually he got off work, I found his house, and hit the hay, with only about 3 hours to sleep before getting up for the morning ERT!

So we both got up at 7:00, had breakfast and headed out to the park, getting there about 20 minutes til 9:00. Since I had some time, I got my season pass voucher processed, and my picture looks so much better than last year's tapering head one! I ran into Anthony (CoasterCrazy) outside the gate, so we headed off for Goliath together.

We got there in time to be on the third train of the day, but the opening was delayed by about 10 minutes. Then once it opened, they sent one train of people successfully, then on the second train, the restraints in row 9 didn't work right, so they had to pull it off the track. Once they took off the train, cycled the remaining train and all, it was 9:40 before a second train of people went out! Then of course, as soon as they loaded the train, someone said it was there brithday and the crew made everyone sing Happy Birthday.

Finally after 45 minutes of waiting (oh, I forgot to mention that we passed a sign on the way in that said it was 44 degrees! And I was wearing shorts with no jacket!!) we finally got to ride the third train of the day.

And what can I say but oh...my...GOD...this ride kicks SOOOO much ass! I absolutely loved it, and I think it is just what this park needed to round out it's collection. The only ride I am able to compare it to is S:RoS at SFNE because there was just *so* much airtime. That is the only other coaster that I have ridden that falls into the same class as Goliath. I also think it has the best first drop of any coaster I've ridden, including S:RoS and Millenium Force. I loved how the airtime was like floater air meets ejector air...floater as you crest the top of the hill, then as you head down the other side, wham, it throws you out of your seat! There was not a dull spot on the entire ride...it was just airtime, airtime, airtime, helix, more airtime, more airtime. I truly love this coaster...I'm so glad that it's close to me so I can ride it often!

After our first ride, we noticed that the line was enormous, but that we still had about five minutes left of season passholder ERT, so we ran back around and got in line again. By the way, the onride photos on this ride really suck. I can't imagine that I'd ever humor getting one. After the second ride, they were letting the GP in, but with the one train operations, my guess is the line was at least two hours long. Insane.

As we walked, we passed Monster Plantation, so since there was no line, we got our own boat when we rode. I think if they gave this ride a little TLC it wold be a nice ride, but as is...hmm. I don't dislike it, but I can't say that I like it either! It smells weird, and looks so dirty, but if they would just replace all the fur and clothing on the AAs, and get better lighting, I'd like it a lot more.

We headed back to the Cotton States area next, where we caught a ride on Superman: Ultimate Flight with a one train wait. Sadly, the more coasters I've ridden, the less this coaster impresses me any more It's still in my top 10, but I don't think it's holding onto that co-#1 spot anymore. After Superman, we rode Great American Scream Machine with no wait. This one was actually tracking a lot worse than it was last October, but I am going to chalk it up to the cold weather. I still think it's a fantastic coaster, even if it's rougher than usual.

The guys were thinking about food at this point, so we walked to a Mexican place, but then decided to get chicken at the Plantation House instead. Of course, once we got there, it was still closed since it was still fairly early. Having nothing else to do in the area, I suggested riding the sky buckets. This ended up being a bit counter productive since it deposited us right where we had been previously.

We decided to check out Gotham City at this point to see what the wait for Mindbender was. Well, turns out that it was only running one train, and the queue through the trees was almost completely full...at least an hour wait, maybe more! No thanks...it's a great coaster, but I'm not waiting that long for it. We also checked Batman, and it was a very hefty wait as well. We ran into "Black Dude Green Lantern" on the way out, as well as Wonder Woman (it goes without saying that the guys liked her!)

Admitting defeat, we went back near the Plantation House, and decided to do Dahlonega Mine Train before having lunch. The line didn't look too long, but it ended up being over half an hour. Ugh...half an hour for a fairly crappy mine train.

We went ahead and stopped for lunch at that point since both of them needed to leave shortly after lunch time. We all got chicken strips and fries. None of the chicken strips were hot, but I thought the fries were great for theme park fries. I also noticed two very small things that I was very impressed with while there. First, the ketchup was cold. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but to go to the trouble of installing refridgerated bins for your ketchup packets so your customers can have cold ketchup...I was very impressed! Also, when I sat down, I noticed that basically every table had a set of salt and pepper shakers on it. Those are two things that are not gonna make or break my day, but I love the fact that thought was put into the little details like that.

After lunch, we all headed towards the entrance. They were both gonna head out for the day, but I was planning on hanging around and seeing about getting on a couple of more rides. I bid them both farewell and headed up to Georgia Scorcher...where I found every bit of the queue completely full! Holy $#!t! I don't know how long the wait was, but it was *way* too long to wait for that coaster.

At that point, I decided to cut my losses and head for home. The park was just getting too crowded to do much of anything! Plus I was dead tired from not getting enough sleep the night before. So I headed out to the car, stopping for gas almost immediately before heading home. The drive was uneventful and I got home around 4:00 or so.

Overall, I had a nice time, but I wish the lines had been shorter! Good company always enhances a day, so it was nice to have some good coaster chat with fellow geeks And I'm very, very glad that Goliath is there...such a wonderful addition to an already great park!

Well, onto the photos!

saltpepper.jpg.50e8e7b03de6614d098e3684486279f1.jpg

In conclusion, I leave you with this photo of tables with salt and pepper shakers sitting on them. Thanks for reading!

joeminetrain.jpg.316827e29fb414c0b1d279b57366cc95.jpg

He seemed to enjoy it though. It also seems as though he bored the girl in front of him to tears, and made the kid behind him sick! Geez Joe!

inline.jpg.e44ba12fb1da3e8dbbe500740022899b.jpg

While waiting in line for Dahlonega Mine Train, Joe kept being asked to skip ahead of people so others could ride together, and ended up being three trains ahead of me and Anthony!

mindbenderqueue.jpg.ff74bd8b046e3ec99f4184978f236fe3.jpg

Just thought I'd throw in this picture of a few hundred crazy peeps waiting in an hours long line for Mindbender.

batman.jpg.fc6ebfc7dd603ed49629ca1c897f0a12.jpg

But hey, I had no complaints at all about being invited inside Batman's cape! Rowr!

wonderwoman.jpg.d167cc1bd141a8f011f2859bde6f1278.jpg

The guys were also very excited to see Wonder Woman! (Wait, did I mention that the first time they saw her, she was bending over talking to a kid???)

greenlantern.jpg.f31bee8121074d8deddbc1d966f5673d.jpg

Hey Robb! While in Gotham City, we found "Black Dude Green Lantern!"

goliathusa.jpg.eda261b29b1c427728568ec4077e5e7a.jpg

We have now decided that this is the "TPR EXCLUSIVE" shot of Goliath. You will never see a picture like this on any other website!!!

throughtrees.jpg.eafd5e542a4fe5b82327384ce3c72f03.jpg

Inspired by Derek's "Tower of Terror as seen through a tree" picture from the Florida TR thread, I now proudly present "Goliath as seen through a tree."

typo2.jpg.fd8403c7ff7e86f75807492c1c4a7f7e.jpg

We find yet another typo in the Superman area! "Alternative arrangement for storage of you valuables." Love it.

plantation.jpg.a8d38d90b76284d923473e6858717224.jpg

Joe says "Hey...everyone in line for Goliath equals NO ONE in line for Monster Plantation! Lets ride!"

goliathqueue.jpg.05411a654fbbf996d84fecb2ac106008.jpg

Meatnormous amounts of people in the queue for Goliath, when it's only running one train.

thumbsup.jpg.b89b3e2a6f3655ec7f5bcc02f0585950.jpg

Here, I borrow Guy's "signature move" to express my love for Goliath.

transfertrack.jpg.810c71a5fbde3c14c93becce94121e1f.jpg

Here's Goliath's train being taken back to the storage area, as I freeze my behind off in 40 degree temps!

helix2.jpg.80e6c2083a079db6f8e4e345ee4b64ed.jpg

Ok, and I'm back for a second try, bright and early on Tuesday morning.

sweetlove.jpg.8c765ffe3c06db54554be7007de8145d.jpg

While shopping, I found this. Now, if you are relying on your douche to give you "sweet love," you have bigger problems than that not-so-fresh feeling!

helix.jpg.201e6dc7288fe297af47305f562b7873.jpg

Goliath's helix at sunset. This was taken just before I was turned away from getting my pass processed :-(

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos! Glad to hear that you had a great time on Goliath. It really does look like the best B&M that's come around in a while. The last picture of the salt shakers on the tables rocks!

_six

LOL YOu can see my nipples in the one pic, it was THAT cold.

I still say don't hate on Monster Plantation, even though the last monster wasn't working =(

It was a short yet fun trip. At least you didn't come tonight Julie (I JUST got home ) and I'm glad you liked GOLIATH and enjoyed yourself even though things went pretty crazy (I'm 90% sure that today was the busiest day of the year attendance wise, beating out last Saturday.. I'll have to double check)

It'a always nice to hear outside opinions of a coaster, especially in the case of GOLIATH where I havent heard much from anyone but the locals. And, for the record, I thought this morning's rides were the slowest I have experienced!

Chilled ketchup is pretty cool now that I've thought about it ALL DAY.

- Joe

Well it totally looks like it going to be a Flash Pass Sunday this upcoming weekend for us. I am really glad you all had a great time. I will be sure to bring my non-coaster jacket (sorry Wally, Derek, and Don) . Lcuky for us we are going for one and a half days (half day on Satuday to get our Season Passes) and Sunday all day to get some ERT and help WillMontu rack up some credits. As well as Mindbender for us.

Erik "Who has been nuking his cold with all kinds of stuff to make sure he rides coasters this weekend" Johnson.

We have now decided that this is the "TPR EXCLUSIVE" shot of Goliath. You will never see a picture like this on any other website!!!

I have a picture just like that but its shotty and at night time. I took it the other night.

Great to hear you had a good time on Goliath today Julie. Thanks for the pics and Im sorry you had to come on a day that just plain out sucked.

Nice TR...Just wondering...Do you think it will be crowded this saturday? That's when I'm going, and I think it's supposed to rain that day...oh well.

WOahkilla if this saturday is anything like last saturday then be prepared for massive lines everywhere. Goliath line may seem super long but it moves pretty fast if they have both trains on.

shotty.JPG.6abfc1bb22545a98d98aeca6161c7088.JPG

Hey Julie Great minds think alike.

I thought that the 1 train operations "bothered" mark shapiro. Awesome... 1 train on goliath and mindbender. I knew he was full of empty promises.

Well, that's pretty harsh considering that I specifically said that the restraints in row 9 weren't working and they took it off to fix it. They weren't just running it with one train because they thought that was a good idea. By the time I left (1:00pm) it appeared to be running two again. Mindbender, I'm not sure why it was just running one.

-Julie

I think Mindbender has only 1 train because the other one isn't out of annual maintenance yet. Its the same thing up at SFGAd and SFMW. Nitro, Medusa, Medusa (MW), Roar, etc all have only 1 or 2 trains on the ride currently. Its forgiveable now because it is still early in the season and the crowds really aren't that bad. As for Goliath, they took the train off to fix a problem and then put it back on. Thats terrific. In old SF days, they'd have just roped off the last row of that particular train, screwing up people waiting for that row or to ride with their friends. I guess they figured it was early enough in the day that they could do so.

I will say the crowds flocking to Goliath do kind of scare me for my visit, but luckily I get a few ERT sessions before and after the park is opened to the public to get my Goliath fix. I wonder, is Goliath as much of a crowd eater as Nitro? (meaning about how long is the wait for a full queue?) On Nitro, a full queue running all three trains ends up only being about a 35-45 minute wait.

I thought that the 1 train operations "bothered" mark shapiro. Awesome... 1 train on goliath and mindbender. I knew he was full of empty promises.

Mind Bender's 2nd train -- not even at the park (well, it may be back now, I'm not sure). Last year they had TONS of problems running 2 trains on it (mechanical-wise) so they've been working on that for this year. Even today's crowds, which beat out yesterday's, weren't even close to a truly busy day.

GOLIATH - 1 train because the other had restrain locking issues

Otherwise pretty much everything was running at maximum capacity except Mine Train (whoopty doo)

Derek I'd guess a jam-packed queue is only 75-90 minutes, tops.

I have a picture just like that but its shotty and at night time. I took it the other night.

Hey Julie Great minds think alike.

You and Julie don't have that great of minds since I was the first person to post the "TPR EXCLUSIVE" shot of Goliath! Its great to be able to say that I started this trend!:lolr:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146238#146238

YES!!!

Great TR, these are the ones I'm waiting for, I have to ride these new coasters vicariously through the Other TPR members this year

Oh well, Thanks for the Great Photo's Julie

I gotta make it up to SFoG!

Looks like they've got a good collection of coasters.

Is it sad though that besides Goliath, the ride i'm most looking foward to is Monster Plantation!?!

Ugh! Monster Plantation!

Is it me, or does that ride have a wierd smell?