The Official TPR Video Thread!

P. 165 - Videos Celebrating Closed Parks!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: The Official TPR Video Thread!

Postby cfc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Mossed wrote:
I305forever wrote:As I have never ridden it, what is it that makes Phoenix so good?

No seat belts and airtime galore. It's worth the trip to Knoebels just to ride it. I haven't been on many good wooden coasters, but it's easily the best. :b :b

Exactly! Gotta love buzz bars without seat belts.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:11 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:40 pm

The airtime is absolutely insane! Great video!

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Phoenix isn't my #1, but it's up there. With that said, I don't think that there's a ride that I have more fun on. Probably the most re-rideable ride out there. Airtime, airtime, airtime. The 2 night glow rides I've done with TPR were absolutely incredible. I don't think I'm going to get out to Knoebels this year. :(

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:23 pm

I would love to be able to go to Knoebels some day

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:22 pm

TPR's last ride on Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom!

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm

You know, I had fond memories of Roar at SFA from the late 90s. It was a really fun ride so when I got to SFDK earlier this year I was excited to ride it again!

I rode it once and didn't bother for a second try. Did I mention there were no lines at all when I visited? It's still an excellent layout but it was a jackhammer. Can't wait to see what RMC has up their sleeves for this one!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:30 am

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I understand that the park doesn't have that much space, but I just find it odd that they are converting a perfectly good wood coaster like Roar (aside from the jackhammering) over to the RMC treatment. I just feel that there are other rides in the chain that need RMC'd well before this one, and I'm sad to see what I thought was a decent wood coaster go away, as opposed to some recent ones that really needed something done with them. That's just a personal opinion, again, not trying to start anything.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:38 am

John Peck wrote:I'm not trying to start an argument, and I understand that the park doesn't have that much space, but I just find it odd that they are converting a perfectly good wood coaster like Roar (aside from the jackhammering) over to the RMC treatment. I just feel that there are other rides in the chain that need RMC'd well before this one, and I'm sad to see what I thought was a decent wood coaster go away, as opposed to some recent ones that really needed something done with them. That's just a personal opinion, again, not trying to start anything.

Here's some things to consider...

1. Roar is not "perfectly good" anymore. Last time I rode it, it was approaching Gwazi levels of roughness. (home park biased locals seem to disagree, but take that for what it's worth.)

2. SFDK is also a 'year round' park now. Six Flags seems to be doing this RMC treatment first mostly with parks that are year-round or close to it to get the most out of their investment. SFOT, SFFT, SFM, SFMM, SFDK all have very long operating calendars. SFNE is the only wood coaster re-do that doesn't fall in this category.

3. Turning Roar into an RMC is pretty much a slam dunk to make a C+ coaster into an A+ coaster. Why would someone argue against doing this?

4. To entirely fix Roar to be as smooth and as enjoyable as it was when it opened, would probably cost not that much less than having RMC come in and re-do it, and the marking value for an RMC re-do is MUCH greater then just re-tracking it.

I can think of two coasters that recently underwent "complete re-trackings" and just a short time after, are no longer with us: Gwazi & Thunder Road. So clearly those are two examples that show that an investment like that doesn't always pay off. Gwazi was a good example. They re-tracked it and got new trains, and they had marketed it as being better, even did a media event for it, and that lasted about a moth. And clearly Thunder Road didn't prove to get much more ridership out of it otherwise it might still be standing today.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:31 am.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Marney » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:55 am

I'll be interested to see what comes of this. I rode the RMC'd Texas Giant a couple months ago and it's probably the best ride I've ever been on.
You may think that the people you are conversing with on this board are real, but, in fact, they are all my alts.

Looks like it's just you and me.

You handsome stud ;)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:21 am

All good points, Rob. Thank you for the insights. I didn't realize that SFDK was becoming year-round.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!