TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Halloween might just re-sell me a ticket. They're trying pretty damn hard to not sell tickets with Walking Dead and Jabbawockeez, though. Ugh.

If Halloween is the soundstage maze I think I'm required to go.

Edit -

To clarify, I have nothing against Jabbawockeez. I'm sure the show will be awesome like it is in Vegas. When it comes to halloween events, though, I sure as hell don't think of a breakdance group. Why can't USH have the awesome shows USO has? They already murdered Bill & Ted like a bunch of wussies, at least have a horror sideshow style thing like Jack's show in USO.

I kind of like the idea of having a popular headliner each year as opposed to a poorly written Bill & Teds. Break dancing isn't my thing, but the demographic for HHN sure seems to love them...

Glad to hear. It's the "Frozen" of the Haunt industry....

Except with Frozen, it's target audience still isn't over it. Just go count all the girls wearing Anna or Elsa dresses every single day at Walt Disney World. And even just last month on our YouTube channel, a Frozen video was our #3 most viewed video of the month, and it has been every month we've put it up. So I think you might need to adjust your assessment!

534116025_ScreenShot2015-08-10at15_44_57.thumb.png.09bb536209f321c6ddf6c50efbc682a1.png

Edited by robbalvey

It is interesting to note the similarity between the attraction posters for Jabber and Michael Myers, with the similar white facial masks.

I am glad they did think about providing some form of entertainment now that Bill&Ted is no more. Halloween has some good visual moments from the film series that can translate well to a maze, glad to see it.

673159722_01-13-15HHNThisistheEnd.thumb.jpg.a11876dc807086d56b7b0cd6d3bbd298.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood Casts This is the End in an All-New Terrifying 3D “Halloween Horror Nights” Maze, Based on the Hit Film Starring James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson Beginning Friday, September 18

Universal City, California, August 12, 2015 – In a bold, new approach to bringing iconic horror films to life during "Halloween Horror Nights," Universal Studios Hollywood will break new ground with the introduction of its first ever 3D horror-comedy maze, “This is the End 3D,” based on 2013’s hit movie starring James Franco, Seth Rogen Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson. “Halloween Horror Nights” begins on Friday, September 18, 2015.

The hilarity of this genre-defying blockbuster movie, This is the End, will take a dark turn in this all-new maze experience that will come to life in hypnotic 3D. The end of the world will begin as guests head to the ultimate A-list party at James Franco’s new Hollywood Hills home, before the Apocalypse strikes and they find themselves trapped in a life-and-death struggle against the demons of the underworld. With the fate of humanity at the crossroads of heaven and hell, “This is the End 3D” will offer defining moments for those guests brave enough to tempt the devil as their destiny hangs in the balance to be damned for eternity or raptured to heaven engulfed in a sea of blue light.

“This is the End brings a new dimension of fear to ‘Halloween Horror Nights’ by fusing the best of two extreme worlds—horror and comedy— to create a literal and figurative three-dimensional experiential version of the film,” said John Murdy, Creative Director at Universal Studios Hollywood and Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights.” “Our collaboration with James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill to transform this outrageous movie into a terrifying maze underscores the impact of ‘Halloween Horror Nights’ as one the most influential Halloween events around.”

"Halloween Horror Nights" 2015 at Universal Studios Hollywood kicks off on Friday, September 18 and continues on select nights through November 1. The popular event brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in a living, breathing, three-dimensional world of terror. Featuring an all-new slate of unrivaled film production quality mazes, frightful scare zones and a fully re-imagined “Terror Tram” experience uniquely themed to today’s most definitive horror properties, “Halloween Horror Nights” will taunt, terrorize and torment guests with spine-chilling haunted attractions during Southern California’s most extreme Halloween experience

Recent maze announcements include “Guillermo del Toro Presents Crimson Peak: Maze of Madness,” based on Legendary and Universal Pictures’ much-anticipated Crimson Peak film directed, co-written and produced by celebrated filmmaker Guillermo del Toro; “The Walking Dead: Wolves Not Far,” based on season 5 of the critically-acclaimed, Emmy Award®-winning television series, “Insidious: Return to the Further,” based on the bone-chilling Insidious film trilogy, and “Halloween: Michael Myers Comes Home,” based on director John Carpenter’s cult-classic horror film. This year’s event will also feature the global phenomenon and multi-talented dance crew, Jabbawockeez, direct from Las Vegas in an all-new original show, performing multiple times per night throughout the run of “Halloween Horror Nights.”

Join the “Halloween Horror Nights” conversation using #UniversalHHN on Facebook at Halloween Horror Nights – Hollywood, Instagram, Twitter and Periscope @HorrorNights. Add username HorrorNights on Snapchat, for nightly live content and watch the terror come to life on Halloween Horror Nights YouTube.

To learn more about the all new “This is the End 3D” maze at “Halloween Horror Nights,” click here.

961858354_08-17-15PurgeHHN.jpg.464a08dd436fa1b4a8d4be23186931ed.jpg

Universal Pictures’ “The Purge” Lures Guests to “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, Beginning Friday, September 18

All-New “Terror Tram: Survive the Purge” to Deliver Unbridled Fear on the Famed Hollywood Backlot

Universal City, Ca, August 17, 2015 – Beginning Friday, September 18, the annual Purge will commence at “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort as both parks debut all-new disturbingly-real experiences, inspired by Universal’s popular franchise film series created by writer and director James DeMonaco and produced by Blumhouse Productions and Platinum Dunes.

Guests will attempt to survive the night as they are immersed in the film’s depraved world, where all crime is declared legal as part of the government’s annually sanctioned 12-hour Purge.

The “Terror Tram: Survive the Purge” experience at Universal Studios Hollywood will pit guests against morally-compromised citizens who take to the streets to cleanse the country of those deemed as less desirable, without fear of retribution. Recognizing that not all citizens choose to hunt during The Purge, a newly endorsed “Purge Party” will welcome guests to honor this proud national tradition by watching the night’s dramatic events unfold on large video screens set up around the famed Universal backlot — until the experience quickly turns into an unforgettable living nightmare.

Once aboard the “Terror Tram,” guests will find themselves at the mercy of affected vigilantes looking to annihilate people by the thousands. Strolling about the famed studio backlot — the very place where the horror film genre first took root — guests will need to rely on cunning wit, luck and speed to outsmart and outlive the anarchy unleashed by once average citizens now transformed into sadistic felons.

“This year’s ‘Terror Tram’ preys upon the vulnerability of our guests as they wander the darkness of our world-famous backlot surrounded by iconic horror sets and consider the theoretic possibility of a real Purge experience,’” said John Murdy, Creative Director at Universal Studios Hollywood and Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights.” “We consistently strive to raise the bar in delivering ideal scares, and the backlot at night infested with reprehensible characters is one way of truly scaring the living daylights out of our guests.”

To learn more about the all-new “Terror Tram: Survive the Purge” at “Halloween Horror Nights,” click here.

Edited by cfc

Looks like I will be going to USH on Sept 4th for the first time in like 10 years. I'm taking my two older kids who have never been to the park, so they are pretty excited about it. Any advice for what rides/attractions to hit first and which ones have the longest lines? I see that that park opens at 9am that day, but are all the attractions open at 9am or is it only the studio tour?

^ Everything will be open. Get inside and go all the way to the lower lot. I'm talking all the way to the back and way way down the escalators. Once there bang out Transformers, Mummy, and Jurassic Park. All three have single rider lines so you can abuse those later if you don't mind riding separately.

Once you get back to the upper lot it'll pretty much be hit or miss. Lines at Despicable Me and Simpsons will probably be comparable and there's no single rider for anything in the upper lot.

As for the tram, people will tell you it should be done first to avoid a long line, etc. They're lying. I've always saved the tram for the afternoon. Yeah, the line is a decent size but those trams suck up ~300 people per tram. It won't take long. It's also a 45+ minute tour. You'll be fine.

^ Everything will be open. Get inside and go all the way to the lower lot. I'm talking all the way to the back and way way down the escalators. Once there bang out Transformers, Mummy, and Jurassic Park. All three have single rider lines so you can abuse those later if you don't mind riding separately.

Once you get back to the upper lot it'll pretty much be hit or miss. Lines at Despicable Me and Simpsons will probably be comparable and there's no single rider for anything in the upper lot.

As for the tram, people will tell you it should be done first to avoid a long line, etc. They're lying. I've always saved the tram for the afternoon. Yeah, the line is a decent size but those trams suck up ~300 people per tram. It won't take long. It's also a 45+ minute tour. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice, we will be heading straight for the lower lot at opening.

I would do lower lot and then tram, as it is more popular this summer since Fast & Furious is the new attraction.

Also, HHN tickets are now on sale! No VIP tours this year.

i went for the first time since transformers was new last wednesday. place was packed. did the tram at roughly 1pm. that had to be the height of length of the line. it was almost half the size when we got back.

first time i waited through the full line for transformers. only times before was single rider, or soft opening when no one was there. oh, and pass holder preview.

anyway, i vote afternoon too for the tram.

Also, HHN tickets are now on sale! No VIP tours this year.

Hooray! One less haunt, no VIP, three repeated scare zones, two repeated haunts (AvP is carbon copy, Walking Dead is just rehashed sets in a different order), and a higher price point in general! Good job, Universal! Really proving your value!

I'm not going this year. Screw them. Knott's, Dark Harbor, and the LA Haunted Hayride are $40 each. I can do three separate events combined for less than one night at HHN.

I wouldn't assume Walking Dead is re-hashed sets. The Stage 28 pad is a huge footprint---John has said it's the largest they've ever done.

Personally, if you think that HHN has no value this year---I would avoid Haunted Hayride too. It's not a $40 Haunt IMO. Dark Harbor & Knott's you will get your monies worth. You are also comparing three regular ticket options to the price of HHN's Front of Line pass, so it's not a totally fair comparison. The lines also suck at those other Haunts depending on when you go.

I was disappointed to see there isn't a combination ticket for a day pass plus front of the line for the HHN event.

How long will lines get on the Oct. 1st Thursday? Is a front of the line pass worth the crazy upcharge?

I was trying to find reports of wait times from previous years, a 30 minute wait is my limit mark.

I was disappointed to see there isn't a combination ticket for a day pass plus front of the line for the HHN event.

How long will lines get on the Oct. 1st Thursday? Is a front of the line pass worth the crazy upcharge?

I was trying to find reports of wait times from previous years; not interested in waiting longer than 30 minutes, would gladly pay.

If you are not willing to wait more than 30 mins for mazes I would suggest getting the Front of Line ticket. Waits range anywhere from 60-120min for each maze.

I was trying to find reports of wait times from previous years, a 30 minute wait is my limit mark.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha. Better pray you get through everything within a half hour!

20141003_183600.thumb.jpg.406eb75b55e9ce5e7e2a112900c619f7.jpg

5 minutes after opening.

20141003_222108.thumb.jpg.56e688f243cd8bab38609465fa8ae6b7.jpg

About an hour after opening.

They will be offering early entry if you arrive before 6:15 (you'll wait in a holding area and get to walk down to the lower lot before the park opens to the rest of the guests), so I would HIGHLY recommend that option if you don't want to purchase the Front of Line pass.

Edited by Jew

I was at the park on Sunday. It was hot and crowded, but I had a good time.

Springfield was great! They did a wonderful job with the new theming and food options. And Duff beer was surprisingly good! I expected the taste to be somewhere between the Jurassic Park runoff water and Natty Light. I was pleasantly surprised.

My friends and I were stumped at how they've never made a Treehouse of Horror maze during Halloween. Seems obvious, but who are we to armchair theme-park-manage?