TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Well part of the 300 mil is supposed to be used (or better said, was originally announced to be used) opening up the new area of the park going up the train loop.. I know Pete in an interview (one of the original 300mil announcements) that opening that area up would cost a lot of money.. Maybe that's what is planned next (aside from a splash country ride).. I know he said it was expensive building restrooms, roads, restaurants and everything else that goes along with expanding the park to new area's..

That's also true...that was definitely mentioned around the time Adventure Mountain was removed. I would guess that's a longer term plan.

Personally, it doesn't matter one iota where they expand on their property. As long as they keep things operating and well-maintained, as they do, then i am a happy camper.

The way I see it, my guess anyway, with the comment no more coasters in the foreseeable future I BET they will do in this order

1.) Ride at Splash Country (2017)

2.) Start their expansion up the train loop with a BIG flat ride or maybe dark ride (2018)

3.) Another ride at Splash Country while adding to DreamMore (2019)

4.) A new coaster for their expansion area or maybe a few flats but I'd imagine coaster or dark ride.. Something big and expensive here (2020)

That's my guess on their timeline [WHITE SMILING FACE] the foreseeable future just means they aren't planning a coaster right now..

I made my first-ever visit to Dollywood yesterday. Wanted to share some Lightning Rod construction photos, plus a few extras.

IMG_0196.thumb.png.65881678c025d4376fd8f52c31353ca9.png

Lightning fast!

IMG_0198.thumb.png.3fada2fab06bccb0acf78ef1e0be91b3.png

Coming in 2016...

IMG_0206.thumb.png.3f28f277910e72820bcb2aec48773997.png

A look at the left side of the construction site.

IMG_0207.thumb.png.bfde04122bd3d411d3510241d708713a.png

The right side of the construction site.

IMG_0211.thumb.png.5ba28f22762c4373df5dce3d27b3396c.png

Construction at ground level.

IMG_0214.thumb.png.200d99d8d27054166a6500aee04f6cd2.png

Looking up at the two clearings on the hill.

IMG_0222.thumb.png.c4235530f10c5a75498c980666163ab0.png

The larger clearing has the most work already complete.

IMG_0223.thumb.png.be84f3070829504b50a708d48ce46ec2.png

A side view of the construction site.

IMG_0235.thumb.png.af83369ea7cb21809cafb1ee31979433.png

A look at the smaller clearing.

IMG_0235a.thumb.png.949600fa0dd6d6f4a5c51b8d852bb4a4.png

The terrain has been altered slightly, but it's obvious that this will still pass very close to the trees.

IMG_0236.thumb.png.0fc143dc571c8300845f4b7ed16da11d.png

Another look at the cleared areas.

IMG_0236a.thumb.png.bc2c7a4232a6c603299b889280db6ebd.png

Zooming in on the larger clearing.

IMG_0239.thumb.png.f91d593b4c6c863415d34c4e5305d0f1.png

Lots of work already done up on the hill.

IMG_0240.thumb.png.df9740fcb7e9d73ea50d61f5c2363a77.png

At some point in the process of pitching this ride, somebody had to say "hey, let's launch a wooden coaster up that big hill over there" with a straight face. I find that amusing -- and awesome.

IMG_0242.thumb.png.70d43dbbb3ea930449e26a82ed2e3d54.png

More dirt and stuff.

IMG_0249.thumb.png.48e6e1b87e36d6a55765b0d521f60f7a.png

Running out of captions.

IMG_0252.thumb.png.ae3505dc65ab2792e0bb24d4e2ea9b74.png

Might as well zoom all the way in!

IMG_0254.thumb.png.607720f50bb68b2b4d39cc67281eff02.png

Can't wait to ride this next year!

IMG_125613.thumb.png.b9b3c2030931fbcf3d75c62aef6ad7cd.png

A front-view panorama of the construction site.

IMG_125807.thumb.png.93152a28fcfccc57a723973dea7ee8eb.png

A side-view panorama of the construction site.

IMG_2642.thumb.png.15056074aad123e5082be106fb8a9b8d.png

Now for a few extra shots from the day at the park. Here's Wild Eagle, which I liked a little more than I was expecting.

IMG_3175.thumb.png.22083579291d0749ea70b207cb6c52ed.png

Rapids rides are always good for photo ops.

IMG_4352.thumb.png.af726f3fbfa6bf22805145730f97c566.png

Mystery Mine coming into the station.

IMG_4647.thumb.png.f4c19afca1c81488f62ef7083e6674ea.png

Hangtime!

IMG_6603.thumb.png.a57b7877f74286a7aa8fdedfc3ff5ae3.png

Right now, I think Thunderhead is the best coaster at the park.

IMG_6605.thumb.png.1687763eb97b8219fdb24aea9f71c80c.png

Hairtime.

IMG_6615.thumb.png.10f91ef1caca5cc266bc064433a01c50.png

Several great photo spots near the play area just east of the Thunderhead station!

IMG_6619.thumb.png.3bf19d157681d1a7ab7c9de3d2c2b991.png

Quit thinkin' so hard, you're on a roller coaster!

IMG_9117.thumb.png.4f401064c8f2cbd716eb8ae463f930d0.png

Final picture, just because.

^ great pics, I too went for the first time this year and really is a great park!

^^ I agree with your ideas for the future, not every great advancement needs to be a coaster, and with this being Dollywood, I am sure we will see some great things! I understand how it is expensive to expand a park due to the utilities that need to be moved, and if they are planning on going up that hill to the train loop, we are going to need a few transportation rides to do it...besides the train. Possibly a chairlift? That hill is a monster!

Man, I cannot wait for this thing to start taking shape, how little trees were removed in those pictures make it look like this is going to be flying past them very closely . It will seem like you are flying through that layout even faster than you actually are. Is it March yet? I am planning my trip already! I've only been following Dollywood closely since Wild Eagle was built, do their coasters usually open on opening day or should I plan a few weeks out to be safe?

Man, I cannot wait for this thing to start taking shape, how little trees were removed in those pictures make it look like this is going to be flying past them very closely . It will seem like you are flying through that layout even faster than you actually are. Is it March yet? I am planning my trip already! I've only been following Dollywood closely since Wild Eagle was built, do their coasters usually open on opening day or should I plan a few weeks out to be safe?

They usually open new (dry) attractions opening day (as well as all rides). This however depends on the weather. I would caution planning your trip that early since the weather can be unpredictable as far as snow/cold temps that early in the season. I see you are in NY so that shouldn't bother you. However if it's too cold the coasters won't open until it hits around 40 degrees or more. If this is your first trip to the park it may ruin it, so check the weather constantly to ensure you can enjoy the park. I would suggest waiting until Mid-April. I went in March last year on the second week of operation and it was cold. They didn't open the coasters until after noon the second day I went due to a cold front that brought snow the day before. Since I went more than one day I was able to experience most of the rides (didn't ride any water rides even though they were open...it was too cold...lol).

We also have to remember this is the worlds first launched wooden coaster, which could also stretch opening due to kinks in new technology. With RMC being who they are I'm sure they will have it running fine, but you always have to take precaution to new technology.

We also have to remember this is the worlds first launched wooden coaster, which could also stretch opening due to kinks in new technology. With RMC being who they are I'm sure they will have it running fine, but you always have to take precaution to new technology.

This. Keep in mind too the Outlaw Run had a lot of downtime in its first few months of operation. When I went opening weekend in 2013, during a 90 minute wait, it broke down twice. As fickle as it is, Powder Keg was more reliable that season. The same two companies are involved here, but the ride ops will obviously be diffeeent. I would expect the same type of downtime on Lightning Rod until the ops get really good at running it.

I love that it appears that they are keeping lots of trees fairly close the path the of the coaster (at least from what we can see from the close-ups of what appears to be the quadruple down segment?). Glad to see that they might not excessively clear the path so that you lose the effect of racing in the woods.

This. Keep in mind too the Outlaw Run had a lot of downtime in its first few months of operation. When I went opening weekend in 2013, during a 90 minute wait, it broke down twice. As fickle as it is, Powder Keg was more reliable that season. The same two companies are involved here, but the ride ops will obviously be diffeeent. I would expect the same type of downtime on Lightning Rod until the ops get really good at running it.

Yeah but wasn't outlaw run down for several weeks its first season due to the accident in Texas? They redid the restraints a little just in case? Or was that the year after? I don't follow other parks as closely as Dollywood so dates all run together for me haha

I know it had other downtime moments, as any ride does, but I do remember a short extended downtime due to that

Dollywood never misses an opening date.. I'm sure the coaster will be over 80% complete by Christmas.. Wild Eagle track was almost done by Christmas. That way they can work out the kinks in January and February while putting final touches on the station and theming

Regarding the construction, I handle a lot of the fall forecasting for the Smokies and we're actually looking at a strong El Nino season this year...which means the Smokies could get a heavier-than-normal dose of rainfall in late fall and heavy snow in the winter if the jet stream lines up over it, which will obviously impact construction on the hill. If the jet stream's southern branch pushes further south and the northern branch stays far north, we'll have milder conditions and should have a fantastic late fall/winter for construction. So keep your fingers crossed that the jet streams straddle the Smokies so we don't hit any delays for Lightning Rod!

Yeah but wasn't outlaw run down for several weeks its first season due to the accident in Texas? They redid the restraints a little just in case? Or was that the year after? I don't follow other parks as closely as Dollywood so dates all run together for me haha

I know it had other downtime moments, as any ride does, but I do remember a short extended downtime due to that

Dollywood never misses an opening date.. I'm sure the coaster will be over 80% complete by Christmas.. Wild Eagle track was almost done by Christmas. That way they can work out the kinks in January and February while putting final touches on the station and theming

Iron Rattler went down for a while when Texas Giant had the accident. Outlaw Run never did. OR's issue was a system fault when running multiple trains. It took them several months to get it worked out. By August 2013, they were fine.

Usually when I see an announcement for a new coaster I am excited, but it kind of ends there. This is the first time I saw an announcement and actually texted friends to make sure they saw it.

I never need a reason to go back to Dollywood - but now I have a NEED to go back to Dollywood!!!

I've always been impressed with how Dollywood kept Wild Eagle hidden from view, for the most part anyway. Has anyone thought about how Lightning Rod might change Dollywood's landscape as a whole? I know you'll definitely get some pretty cool views from Jukebox Junction and Country Fair, but I'm looking forward to seeing if you'll be able to spot the coaster from other areas in and outside of the park.

Walking through the parking lot will probably give you an awesome profile of the lift, pre drop, and first drop. I think the return back over the hill (quad down) might get blocked by the natural foliage. Which IMHO doesn't bother me in the slightest. As it will be an awesome thing to quad down in the bushes and trees!

Like Wild Eagle, I'd expect all track to be in place prior to winter. If I remember correctly, Wild Eagle was done in October. Dollywood has a history of getting their rides constructed well in advance so they don't have to account for winter weather delays.

^Track for Wild Eagle started slightly before Labor Day weekend. Don't know the exact day but they a couple of pieces up for the construction tour on Labor Day. Clearing, excavating and the placing of footers started much earlier than that.

Edited by ernierocker

Wild Eagle land clearing began to be obvious with footers being dug beginning the middle of June. As it will be with Lightning Rod, there was much earthwork to be done for the ride. Track/support work didn't begin until after the Boomsday announcement on Labor Day though.

Edited by Intimidator305

Not only that, but isn't the majority of this ride out of sight from the main park? From the renderings, I feel like other then watch the train launch up the hill through the quadruple down, we won't see this thing at all!

You will be able to see the non-inverting half loop from Jukebox Junction. Besides that, after the lift hill and the first drop, the ride will mainly be hidden from the public areas of the park.

Edited by ernierocker