Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby maverickpoint » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:07 am

Ah okay, thought I heard it ended up costing around 200mil after it was completed. That must be how much has been spent so far, maybe I wasn't listening correctly

Well cool, this gives them some more to work with

Yeah, a drop tower is deff in order too, lol

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:04 am

DILinator wrote:
tororific wrote:
Vonni wrote:^ B&M Invert and B&M Hyper are two Coasters I'd like to see at Dollywood as well

Intamin hyper would give them an even better mix or a Maverick-styled ride would give them an even better mix.

Yeah, I'm with you on this! I think a smaller, but fun custom Intamin like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt would be a great addition down the road, for their next coaster!

After Lightning Rod opens that will be 3 major coasters in 5 years so I think they might be done with coasters for a little while. I'd love to see some kind of new dark ride, maybe a "new" version of the old Flooded Mine of some sort. I'm sure they could come up with a really cool original dark ride.

The park as is is so well rounded that a dark ride is really all that's missing (and no I'm not forgetting Blazing Fury).

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coasterfreaky » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:35 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:
DILinator wrote:
tororific wrote:
Vonni wrote:^ B&M Invert and B&M Hyper are two Coasters I'd like to see at Dollywood as well

Intamin hyper would give them an even better mix or a Maverick-styled ride would give them an even better mix.

Yeah, I'm with you on this! I think a smaller, but fun custom Intamin like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt would be a great addition down the road, for their next coaster!

After Lightning Rod opens that will be 3 major coasters in 5 years so I think they might be done with coasters for a little while. I'd love to see some kind of new dark ride, maybe a "new" version of the old Flooded Mine of some sort. I'm sure they could come up with a really cool original dark ride.

The park as is is so well rounded that a dark ride is really all that's missing (and no I'm not forgetting Blazing Fury).

According to a report on WBIR (local NBC affiliate) during their coverage of Lightning Rod's announcement, they said "this will be Dollywood's last coaster for the foreseeable future." Obviously, that does not mean that they will never add another coaster, but it sounds like the future attractions will be of some other variety...Dreammore related, flat rides, enhancements to other areas of the park...at least until the $300 million capital plan wraps up.

WBIR report on Lightning Rod announcement

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:40 am

Well part of the 300 mil is supposed to be used (or better said, was originally announced to be used) opening up the new area of the park going up the train loop.. I know Pete in an interview (one of the original 300mil announcements) that opening that area up would cost a lot of money.. Maybe that's what is planned next (aside from a splash country ride).. I know he said it was expensive building restrooms, roads, restaurants and everything else that goes along with expanding the park to new area's..

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coasterfreaky » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:46 am

dstephe9 wrote:Well part of the 300 mil is supposed to be used (or better said, was originally announced to be used) opening up the new area of the park going up the train loop.. I know Pete in an interview (one of the original 300mil announcements) that opening that area up would cost a lot of money.. Maybe that's what is planned next (aside from a splash country ride).. I know he said it was expensive building restrooms, roads, restaurants and everything else that goes along with expanding the park to new area's..

That's also true...that was definitely mentioned around the time Adventure Mountain was removed. I would guess that's a longer term plan.

Personally, it doesn't matter one iota where they expand on their property. As long as they keep things operating and well-maintained, as they do, then i am a happy camper.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 am

coasterfreaky wrote:
dstephe9 wrote:Well part of the 300 mil is supposed to be used (or better said, was originally announced to be used) opening up the new area of the park going up the train loop.. I know Pete in an interview (one of the original 300mil announcements) that opening that area up would cost a lot of money.. Maybe that's what is planned next (aside from a splash country ride).. I know he said it was expensive building restrooms, roads, restaurants and everything else that goes along with expanding the park to new area's..

That's also true...that was definitely mentioned around the time Adventure Mountain was removed. I would guess that's a longer term plan.

Personally, it doesn't matter one iota where they expand on their property. As long as they keep things operating and well-maintained, as they do, then i am a happy camper.

The way I see it, my guess anyway, with the comment no more coasters in the foreseeable future I BET they will do in this order

1.) Ride at Splash Country (2017)
2.) Start their expansion up the train loop with a BIG flat ride or maybe dark ride (2018)
3.) Another ride at Splash Country while adding to DreamMore (2019)
4.) A new coaster for their expansion area or maybe a few flats but I'd imagine coaster or dark ride.. Something big and expensive here (2020)

That's my guess on their timeline [WHITE SMILING FACE] the foreseeable future just means they aren't planning a coaster right now..

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 am

I made my first-ever visit to Dollywood yesterday. Wanted to share some Lightning Rod construction photos, plus a few extras.
IMG_0196.png
Lightning fast!
IMG_0198.png
Coming in 2016...
IMG_0206.png
A look at the left side of the construction site.
IMG_0207.png
The right side of the construction site.
IMG_0211.png
Construction at ground level.
IMG_0214.png
Looking up at the two clearings on the hill.
IMG_0222.png
The larger clearing has the most work already complete.
IMG_0223.png
A side view of the construction site.
IMG_0235.png
A look at the smaller clearing.
IMG_0235a.png
The terrain has been altered slightly, but it's obvious that this will still pass very close to the trees.
IMG_0236.png
Another look at the cleared areas.
IMG_0236a.png
Zooming in on the larger clearing.
IMG_0239.png
Lots of work already done up on the hill.
IMG_0240.png
At some point in the process of pitching this ride, somebody had to say "hey, let's launch a wooden coaster up that big hill over there" with a straight face. I find that amusing -- and awesome.
IMG_0242.png
More dirt and stuff.
IMG_0249.png
Running out of captions.
IMG_0252.png
Might as well zoom all the way in!
IMG_0254.png
Can't wait to ride this next year!
IMG_125613.png
A front-view panorama of the construction site.
IMG_125807.png
A side-view panorama of the construction site.
IMG_2642.png
Now for a few extra shots from the day at the park. Here's Wild Eagle, which I liked a little more than I was expecting.
IMG_3175.png
Rapids rides are always good for photo ops.
IMG_4352.png
Mystery Mine coming into the station.
IMG_4647.png
Hangtime!
IMG_6603.png
Right now, I think Thunderhead is the best coaster at the park.
IMG_6605.png
Hairtime.
IMG_6615.png
Several great photo spots near the play area just east of the Thunderhead station!
IMG_6619.png
Quit thinkin' so hard, you're on a roller coaster!
IMG_9117.png
Final picture, just because.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:40 am

^ great pics, I too went for the first time this year and really is a great park!

^^ I agree with your ideas for the future, not every great advancement needs to be a coaster, and with this being Dollywood, I am sure we will see some great things! I understand how it is expensive to expand a park due to the utilities that need to be moved, and if they are planning on going up that hill to the train loop, we are going to need a few transportation rides to do it...besides the train. Possibly a chairlift? That hill is a monster!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby blakelemay23 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Has anybody made a NL2 recreation of Lightning Rod yet? I would like to see a POV to get a better idea of the layout

Cedar Point - Ride Operator
Sky Ride Crew 2016
Sky Ride Team Leader 2017
Sky Ride Supervisor 2018

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby FaithPlus1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:22 pm

They are wasting no time on construction :cool:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!