TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official TPR Video Thread!

Sorry in advance for the double-post...

I was watching one of your TPR videos on Youtube, and my 1 year old was really fascinated with it. So I put on another for him to watch, and just let it to go... With the auto-run feature going, it's now been rolling through your videos for well over an hour, regardless of whether somebody's been watching or not (I always enjoy coaster-noise in the background!) Assuming that you get some sort of monetization out of your TPR videos being viewed, you're welcome!

Be sure to thank my three-year-old as well, then... he pretty much demands roller coaster videos whenever the TV is on, and I'm more than happy to oblige him, thanks to streaming Youtube through the Xbox One.

In fact, we're heading out to Knoebels next Wednesday, and now he's super excited for his first real wooden coaster thanks to the Phoenix POV you posted yesterday! So far, he's only been on the kiddie coasters out at Luna Park & Deno's, so this is a very big step for him.

Phoenix is so wonderfully deceptive. When I first saw it, I just sort of shrugged because it looked like "just another old wooden coaster"; then I rode it, and all doubt was removed about its greatness.

As I have never ridden it, what is it that makes Phoenix so good?

No seat belts and airtime galore. It's worth the trip to Knoebels just to ride it. I haven't been on many good wooden coasters, but it's easily the best.

As I have never ridden it, what is it that makes Phoenix so good?

No seat belts and airtime galore. It's worth the trip to Knoebels just to ride it. I haven't been on many good wooden coasters, but it's easily the best.

Exactly! Gotta love buzz bars without seat belts.

Edited by cfc

Phoenix isn't my #1, but it's up there. With that said, I don't think that there's a ride that I have more fun on. Probably the most re-rideable ride out there. Airtime, airtime, airtime. The 2 night glow rides I've done with TPR were absolutely incredible. I don't think I'm going to get out to Knoebels this year.

You know, I had fond memories of Roar at SFA from the late 90s. It was a really fun ride so when I got to SFDK earlier this year I was excited to ride it again!

I rode it once and didn't bother for a second try. Did I mention there were no lines at all when I visited? It's still an excellent layout but it was a jackhammer. Can't wait to see what RMC has up their sleeves for this one!

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I understand that the park doesn't have that much space, but I just find it odd that they are converting a perfectly good wood coaster like Roar (aside from the jackhammering) over to the RMC treatment. I just feel that there are other rides in the chain that need RMC'd well before this one, and I'm sad to see what I thought was a decent wood coaster go away, as opposed to some recent ones that really needed something done with them. That's just a personal opinion, again, not trying to start anything.

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I understand that the park doesn't have that much space, but I just find it odd that they are converting a perfectly good wood coaster like Roar (aside from the jackhammering) over to the RMC treatment. I just feel that there are other rides in the chain that need RMC'd well before this one, and I'm sad to see what I thought was a decent wood coaster go away, as opposed to some recent ones that really needed something done with them. That's just a personal opinion, again, not trying to start anything.

Here's some things to consider...

1. Roar is not "perfectly good" anymore. Last time I rode it, it was approaching Gwazi levels of roughness. (home park biased locals seem to disagree, but take that for what it's worth.)

2. SFDK is also a 'year round' park now. Six Flags seems to be doing this RMC treatment first mostly with parks that are year-round or close to it to get the most out of their investment. SFOT, SFFT, SFM, SFMM, SFDK all have very long operating calendars. SFNE is the only wood coaster re-do that doesn't fall in this category.

3. Turning Roar into an RMC is pretty much a slam dunk to make a C+ coaster into an A+ coaster. Why would someone argue against doing this?

4. To entirely fix Roar to be as smooth and as enjoyable as it was when it opened, would probably cost not that much less than having RMC come in and re-do it, and the marking value for an RMC re-do is MUCH greater then just re-tracking it.

I can think of two coasters that recently underwent "complete re-trackings" and just a short time after, are no longer with us: Gwazi & Thunder Road. So clearly those are two examples that show that an investment like that doesn't always pay off. Gwazi was a good example. They re-tracked it and got new trains, and they had marketed it as being better, even did a media event for it, and that lasted about a moth. And clearly Thunder Road didn't prove to get much more ridership out of it otherwise it might still be standing today.

Edited by robbalvey

The only Roar I've ridden is at Six Flags America. While I thought it was an OK ride a few years ago, I certainly wouldn't be upset if it got the RMC treatment. Heck, it even prompt me to visit that park again.

I hope the make-over includes more airtime than anything since it is the only major coaster without an inversion at the park at this point.

yeah, this is my concern as well as a brother with three younger sisters --- it's less so local bias but Roar was the only major coaster without inversions at SFDK and wasn't loathed too much for that reason.

Assuming the RMC-treatment comes with at least two inversions (as all but NTG have), wouldn't this make SFDK the only major park without a major non-inverting coaster?

While SFFT still has the Arrow Mine Train and Gerstlauer spinning coaster, after RMC-treatment there really is nothing to bridge the gap for my little sisters between Cobra and...say a SLC, Vekoma Boomerang, Medusa, and two launched looping coasters. I'm sure Iron-Roar-Steel-Colossus-RhinoRampage will be phenomenal, but I hope that they'll do something to fill this gap too. It's frustrating for families to not have any in-betweens in a park of all steel looping coasters and a Tivoli. Does any other park have a similar problem?

But unlike most amusement parks, SFDK has a really large selection of animal attractions and shows to help fill in the gap, as well as some big flats and water rides. Im just going to trust that the park knows what they are doing and if they had the same concern, Roar might not have closed today. So lets just sit back, and wait the announcement!