TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Looks like I'll be about 15 miles away when I arrive in in DC on Monday for work. May have to see if I can swing by the park in the afternoon. Haven't been to a Six Flags park since SFGA in 2009........

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't been to a Six Flags park since SFGA in 2009........

Oh, well don't hold your visit to Six Flags America against the chain as a whole. Lol

Ended up going to the park but didn't go in. I didn't check the website so I got there around 5pm and found that they close at 8pm......

Needless to say it wasn't worth paying $20 for parking and $61 for admission. Maybe next year...

Haven't been to a Six Flags park since SFGA in 2009........

Oh, well don't hold your visit to Six Flags America against the chain as a whole. Lol

Ended up going to the park but didn't go in. I didn't check the website so I got there around 5pm and found that they close at 8pm......

Needless to say it wasn't worth paying $20 for parking and $61 for admission. Maybe next year...

U went today? They close at 9.

^ I just don't understand why SF parks find it necessary to gauge people with such expensive parking costs. Its ridiculous!

I'm sure it's because

1) There's no other option for people not to pay

2) To persuade people to buy gold passes

exactly. It's all about upselling!

The irony of this is that with the lines they get, you could've ridden all of the coasters, & most of the flats, with re-rides and then some in less than 3 hours.

The irony of this is that with the lines they get, you could've ridden all of the coasters, & most of the flats, with re-rides and then some in less than 3 hours.

I actually accomplished this here in under two hours at the park, so it was definitely feasible.

So I went back to SFA for the first time since 2011 yesterday. Pulling in around 2 I was shocked that we were all the way in the far lot... Tons of people were still coming to the park, and even when we left there were tons of people entering.

All the coasters (except possibly Mind Eraser, I never checked) were running two trains. Lines were in the stations for all the rides except Apocalypse. I have never seen such slow operations anywhere. A two train wait was almost half an hour. The ride attendants also didn't check seatbelts on Roar or Superman. Is that the standard operating procedure, or were they just that lazy?

Roar wasn't rough at all, it just had a very bad rattle. It had great lateral forces and a few pops of airtime. Although this could be because I sat in the first row of the second car. I was expecting a much worse ride.

Superman seems really poorly maintained. The trains looked tired and made an awful screeching noise while going around the second helix. The ride was really bumpy and seemed to lose speed towards the end of the ride. Very little airtime, much less than I remembered.

I had never been on Apocalypse, and it was worse than I expected. My head slammed several times during the ride.

Also, around the park I noticed nobody checked heights on the rides. Someone was clearly too short to ride Apocalypse, even when the seat was at it's lowest height her feet couldn't touch the floor. At Great Adventure there's usually someone at the entrance measuring heights and the load-side attendant usually walks with a measuring stick before opening the gates.

I don't think I'll be back for a while.

-

Sorry if this sounded very negative. I've been to some fantastic parks lately, such as Great Adventure, Lagoon, and Knoebels, which really shows how badly this park is run. I really wanted to enjoy myself but the clientele, horrible operations/employees, and lack of theme/atmosphere really made it hard.

All the coasters (except possibly Mind Eraser, I never checked) were running two trains. Lines were in the stations for all the rides except Apocalypse. I have never seen such slow operations anywhere.

I feel you pain when I went earlier in the season and talked about how it was not a good experience I was told it was b/c it was too early in the season. Looks like your experience mimics mines. I guess b/c it is late in the season.... One day they will get it together but it sounds like the park is doing well.

The quality isn't that great but I found these on Youtube and thought it was worth sharing.

Brand new Roar, Python still operating...I miss the Adventure World days.

Awesome vids. Clearly, they are from 1998, as Roar is there and Python is there. Roar opened in 1998 and Python closed after 1998. It was replaced in 1999 by Two Face: The Flip Side when Premier Parks bought Six Flags and converted Adventure World to Six Flags America. One thing that amazes me (non-amusement park related) is how in less than 20 years video quality from consumer-level devices has greatly improved. If I didn't see Roar or Typhoon Sea Coaster, I would've guessed this was from the early 90's when Adventure World transitioned from Wild World (1993?).

Sorry if this sounded very negative. I've been to some fantastic parks lately, such as Great Adventure, Lagoon, and Knoebels, which really shows how badly this park is run. I really wanted to enjoy myself but the clientele, horrible operations/employees, and lack of theme/atmosphere really made it hard.

Don't let Great Adventure fool you, It isn't a fantastic park when you visit it 5+ times a year. You get to see how poorly it is run as well.

Very weak speculation ahead! Proceed with caution (and curiosity):

With SFA not receiving the trains from Roar West at SFDK after all, perhaps, PERHAPS, Roar East could be on tap for an RMC conversion in 2017! I mean, it would make more sense to send the Millennium Flyer trains to parks to use for parts rather than place them on a Coaster that would be receiving brand new trains in one year anyway. Anyone else find this interesting?

I think I remember reading something saying that after 2016, Six Flags doesn't have any more contracts with RMC.

I believe this was specifically I-box conversions, not projects in general. I've been saying this for awhile now--a ground up RMC wooden coaster would be the best thing for this park. Their current wooden coasters are decent overall, but not specifically a high poiint for the park. There would be nothing like it anywhere nearby.