Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby grsupercity » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:09 am

VegasBaby wrote:
dannyboy13 wrote:Did anyone else get the "villain" survey last night? Wonder what it means? I keep telling anyone who will listen (so myself basically) that they need to put in a Bizarro themed Double Shot or something similar. Ideally, it'd be like Tower of Terror where you are "randomly" launched up or down. Dig a 25-50 ft hole back between Roar and Superman near the park entrance to give it some additional height.......... A man can dream.

SFDK could really use a drop ride to round out its flat rides, but the problem is the 150ft height limit. Most drop towers are at least 200-300ft tall, so I don't think a 150ft drop tower would excite anyone. Your idea of going into the ground for a longer drop would help solve that problem, I just don't know how feasible it is to dig a 50 foot hole.

Isn't the larson drop tower 140 feet? And they pack a punch
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby dannyboy13 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am

Tower of Terror isn't much more than 150ft either. I think by having it launch both up and down, the height wouldn't matter as much.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:15 am

VegasBaby wrote:
dannyboy13 wrote:Did anyone else get the "villain" survey last night? Wonder what it means? I keep telling anyone who will listen (so myself basically) that they need to put in a Bizarro themed Double Shot or something similar. Ideally, it'd be like Tower of Terror where you are "randomly" launched up or down. Dig a 25-50 ft hole back between Roar and Superman near the park entrance to give it some additional height.......... A man can dream.

SFDK could really use a drop ride to round out its flat rides, but the problem is the 150ft height limit. Most drop towers are at least 200-300ft tall, so I don't think a 150ft drop tower would excite anyone. Your idea of going into the ground for a longer drop would help solve that problem, I just don't know how feasible it is to dig a 50 foot hole.

There are lots of great towers out there that aren't that tall. Those crazy Larson towers, S&S towers can be made to be about any height, or how about those Fabbri towers that shoot you down rather than just drop you? Any of those would be perfect for the park and would provide a great ride.
Hm, I see...

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby dannyboy13 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:48 am

Exactly.... Even if it can't be Led Luthor Drop of Doom doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great addition to the park. Make it somewhat unique in other ways than height.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby ALT2870 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Andrewoplis wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:Or wear cargo shorts/pants with velgro or zippered pockets. Thats the only way for me :)

:nina:

Also, ALT2870, what don't you like about Medusa? I'm not trying to be a crazed fanboy or tear you a new one or anything. It's just that I've never really heard of anyone who did at least "Like" it. So I'm just curious.

To me it is just another cookie cutter B&M, once you ride one you ride them all. I'll admit at least they have the sea serpent role to try to make it unique.

As for the pockets, he quickly figured that out. :P

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:51 pm

grsupercity wrote:Isn't the larson drop tower 140 feet? And they pack a punch

Larson is probably the best for its size but the capacity would be terrible at SFDK since only 12 ride at a time.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby skiburkesurfjay » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Prepares to Silence the ROAR

Popular Wooden Roller Coaster Closing for Good

VALLEJO, Calif. – July 16, 2015 – Six Flags Discovery Kingdom today announced that its iconic wooden roller coaster, Roar, is set to close on Sunday, August 16, 2015.

Guests and fans can ride Roar one last time from 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on August 16. After that, the ride will be permanently closed.

"We are a dynamic and evolving entertainment venue,” said Don McCoy, park president. "Although Roar continues to be a guest favorite, sometimes hard choices must be made to allow for future expansion.”

Roar opened in 1999 amidst a major revitalization effort, with several new shows and attractions, restaurants and shops opening simultaneously. Since that time, an estimated 11 million guests have experienced the 10-story coaster featuring six reversals, 22 crossovers, 17 turns and 12 breathtaking drops, in this 55 mph ride that was named for the thunderous roar of a California sea lion.

Roar is a traditional wooden roller coaster featuring a 3,467 foot-long wooden track.

Officials have not announced any plans for an attraction to replace the coaster.

A special fond farewell to Roar will include a series of events for guests and Season Pass holders, the highlight of which will be a special last rider event coinciding with National Roller Coaster Day on August 16.

roar.jpg
Roar_Six FlagsDK.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:00 pm.
WindexCyanide is love. WindexCyanide is life.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Two RMCs in Cali confirmed :b
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:47 pm

skiburkesurfjay wrote:Roar to be silenced August 16th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuQrAA8bHw4

So we'll finally hear the end of it? ;)

Superbatboy wrote:Two RMCs in Cali confirmed :b

Not quite, but we're inching towards it. This only confirms the ride is closing, not what will be taking it's place. I'm sure we'll have confirmation next month, and I have no doubt it will be RMC. Anyone else notice though that Roar is closing on the exact same day that Colossus did?

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:49 pm

ALT2870 wrote:
Andrewoplis wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:Or wear cargo shorts/pants with velgro or zippered pockets. Thats the only way for me :)

:nina:

Also, ALT2870, what don't you like about Medusa? I'm not trying to be a crazed fanboy or tear you a new one or anything. It's just that I've never really heard of anyone who did at least "Like" it. So I'm just curious.

To me it is just another cookie cutter B&M, once you ride one you ride them all. I'll admit at least they have the sea serpent role to try to make it unique.

As for the pockets, he quickly figured that out. :P

I can agree with you on that one, many of b&m's floorless coasters have the same basic layout or at least a similar layout to either Kumba or Dragon Khan.

Also, can't wait to hear what becomes of Roar next year!
Hm, I see...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!