TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

I don't know but this just kind of scares me for some reason. I could either see this thing pulling a Windseeker and getting stuck at the top or having a chain come loose from poor maintenance. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but at least they are moving away from just Karts & Coasters and adding a new flat ride.

• 4 months later...

http://www.mtolympuspark.com/manticore

Here goes Mt. Olympus again...my favorite line from this is "The Manticore can accommodate 24 guests and is themed" lol well I guess we'll have to see how well this gets operated and how well people respond to it.

http://www.mtolympuspark.com/park-info/hours

Also, I couldn't help but notice that they cut back their public hours to 10-7pm almost every day and have Night At the Park (for resort guests only) from 7-10pm most nights. Obviously they want us to stay in their hotels and pay more, which I'm not going to. It's not worth it IMO.

Disappointed. I wanted more gocart tracks so I could get high off gasoline fumes and run more kids off the track with road rage - all while under the much-needed influence of mucho alcohol in order to be able to tolerate the rough coasters and shoddy operations.

Fixed.

I can see the park finding some way to break Manticore by the fall.

If they do, they'll break the record Knott's set when Windseeker only operated for a year (I'm not counting the additional year it spent SBNO before it moved to WOF)!

I know, Manticore is a Star Flyer, not a Mondial so it's not quite the same thing, but still...

• 1 month later...
Can anyone else see this park eventually going under? Seems to not be too favorable

My family and I have been going to the Dells for 30 years. Before Mt. Olympus was there, it was an old, run down, closed go cart track. It was then redeveloped using some of the old track and continued growing and switching ownerships. Finally Mt. Olympus came in and took it over. Nick Laskaris, owner of Mt. Olympus did very well with it the first few years, then continued buying up hotels around the park and continued expanding.... but all he saw was $$$$$. The park has turned into a giant carnival. Customer Service- they don't know the meaning. Safety Protocols and Standards - out the window. Workers that can at least speak a little basic English - good luck. Monopolization of an area turning it to crap - Right on target.

I had been saying for years Mt. O was due for an unfortunate large incident, and unfortunately a couple of years back, it happened tragically. Its just a matter of time before something else tragic happens at this park. The horror stories you hear from this park is absolutely a shame.... heck, I had 2 pretty rough experiences of my own there... I even posted about the one a few years back. This park used to be somewhat decent and had such great potential. Nick Laskaris is all about squeezing every penny out of you as possible all while pinching every penny he can to put in his pocket, not willing to spend a cent on sprucing the place up, investing in quality customer service, a park designed with the guest in mind, hire quality workers that can speak english, or most importantly dumping a sh!t ton of cash into a solid safety program.

Unfortunately, due to the size of his monopoly and his location, it will be hard for this park to go under. It will take a large tragic incident, or him going way overboard with buying up everything in the Dells for him to go under. Its so sad to see the Dells being transformed into this nightmare.

I don't get the hate on Mt. Olympus. They completely retracked Hades, and it ran great last season and Cyclops had some of the most extreme airtime I've ever experienced.

Sure, there were a few disinterested employees, but we encountered plenty of kind, nice workers that we got into conversations with.

The park does need flat rides, and they're adding one, maybe they'll add some more eventually. Their go karts are fun and the water park looked decent.

No, I don't see the park going under. Other than Noah's Ark, it is one of the biggest draws in the area, and they ran a similar deal last season ($15 tickets for a limited time). The park had plenty of people in it.

Edit: There are plenty of hotels in the area not owned by Mt. Olympus. Black Hawk Motel (I think that's the name) was pretty good.

I made a last minute trip to Mt. Olympus! Hades 360 is a wonderful ride. Sure it wasn't smooth. But the tunnel was pitch black and it had plenty of air-time and twistys!

Edited by JRice92

^edited my post right before you commented. I liked it. Now the operations here on the other hand make me want to puke how bad they are.

I remember reading one of the rides here didn't let kids under 18 sit in the back seat. Was that Cyclops? I don't see a sign but the last car has been taken off the train. Even with that the airtime in the back was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wkow.com/story/29514468/2015/07/09/snapped-cable-on-mount-olympus-amusement-ride-creates-close-call-for-two-riders-in-wisconsin-dells

Wow, these guys are so fortunate to be safe. It could've been much worse than what it was.

Snapped cable on Mt Olympus amusement ride creates close call for two riders in Wisconsin Dells

Jul 09, 2015 8:30 PM EST

By Gordon Severson

Wisconsin Dells (WKOW)-- Two Wisconsin Dells visitors are feeling lucky to be alive after a cable on an amusement ride snapped just inches away from them.

The incident happened Wednesday on "The Catapult" ride at Mt. Olympus in Wisconsin Dells. Owners shut down the ride after a cable came crashing down just seconds before two passengers were shot into the air.

"I couldn't believe that just happened. I had to collect myself," Dru Larson says after capturing the incident on video.

"What if it had been 30 inches closer to Trevor or what if they were shot up in the air? Things start going through your mind and most of them aren't good."

Larson and his son Trevor were visiting from Tracy Minnesota before heading to a basketball tournament in Milwaukee. Trevor was riding with family friend Carrie Sueker when the accident happened.

"There's a lot of what if, it could have hit us, could have hit our friends and family nearby," Sueker says.

The ride was back open Thursday after Mt. Olympus owners say they replaced the cables on the ride.

"When I found out about the situation I told them I don't want that ride operating again until all new cables are put on the ride," owner Nick Laskaris says.

According to Laskaris the ride is actually owned by an independent contractor that also owns and operates one other ride at Mt. Olympus. Laskaris says the ride is owned by Dick Clark's Ultimate Rush and has been in the Wisconsin Dells for nearly two decades.

"Been here in the Dells 20 years and from what I understand it's never happened before," Laskaris says.

The owner of the company wasn't available for comment, but Mt. Olympus managers say they're working with him to insure the safety of guests. They originally opened the ride to patrons on Thursday, but later decided to shutdown the ride again until they can conduct a thorough investigation.

The Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services tells 27 News an amusement company isn't required to report an incident unless someone is injured. However, officials say they will conduct an investigation if a patron submits a valid complaint.

A little more than a year ago Mt. Olympus removed a different ride from their park after a man fell more than 15-feet. 63-year-old Anthony Theisen fell off the "Opa" Roller Coaster in March of 2014 and suffered serious injuries. State safety officials ruled a lap bar failed and that the park did not follow all maintenance recommended by the ride's maker.

Edited by larrygator

Why am I not surprised that they closed it to replace the cable, re-open it the following day, then close it again later in the day to investigate the cause? I honestly was expecting to open this thread to read that their Starflyer had a chain snap on it. Any who, those kids are lucky.

It's definitely scary every time I go. I've seen support boards on Zeus loose, flopping when the train goes by. I refuse to go back there anymore after seeing all the poor maintenance. The owner of Mt. Olympus said this, "When I found out about the situation I told them I don't want that ride operating again until all new cables are put on the ride," owner Nick Laskaris says. How could you operate the ride with only one cable? And there was no inspection, no investigation? Thats sad.

The problem is they keep loosing count of the accidents after the number reaches 4.

You probably should't be making fun of others when you yourself don't know the difference between loose and lose.

image.jpg.1f715d24534efcf97912885eadca2c43.jpg