TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

-Woodstock Express is my new favorite wooden coaster at Kings Dominion. Seriously.

Woodstock Express is actually a kick ass little coaster! I got some pretty good airtime last time I rode it. While Grizzly is my favorite woodie at KD, Woodstock certainly beats Hurler, Shockwave, Anaconda, and even Rebel Yell in my opinion.

I'll be ridding I305 tomorrow for the first time! When I went during summer 2013 it was when it got stuck on the lift hill. I've been looking forward to this coaster for a long time and I've been on all the other major intamins in the U.S. . I wonder if it will take my number 1 spot away from SkyRush.

[attachment=0]KD wingrider b&m.png[/attachment]

YES PLEASE!!!! Oh and make it a dueling loop like Twisted Colossus! Imagine a zero g-roll going over an airtime hill!

Do we really have to go into hallucinatory KD fanfiction again? Twilight's got nothin' on whatever you're smokin'.

Wingrider? Maybe (in 2017, ).

Launched? HECK NO. Too expensive.

Dueling? WTF(udge - PG13 censor) no, this isn't Universal. CF will never budget for a new large steel dueling coaster at KD, there's not enough attendance potential to do so.

Zero-g roll over airtime hill? See "dueling".

The area you indicated? Not likely, but may be used for a coaster in 2017.

In 2016, Kings Dominion is excited to bring the world's best ride selection to an amusement park ever.

This $240 million complete revamp of the Old Virginia section of the park will see the removal of every ride in Old Virginia and a handful of new coaster additions:

1. We will relocate Fury 325 and the Intimidator roller coasters from Carowinds amusement park in Charlotte to Kings Dominion and sell the remainder of that park, as well as Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, Michigan's Adventure, and California's Great America to Six Flags Entertainment Corporation to finance the new additions.

2. We will add the world's tallest fastest, and longest roller coaster "Centurion", an Intamin Stratacoaster with a maximum speed of Mach 1.5 and a height of 10,000 feet, as well as ninety-two inversions and an Immelmann loop spanning the length of Virginia Beach with a complete-stop MCBR and restroom area high above Williamsburg so that riders can literally sh!t on Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

3. We will partner with Rocky Mountain Construction and combine the old wooden coasters Hurler and Grizzly to make the world's longest, tallest, and fastest hybrid coaster with a height of 250 feet, top speed of 80 MPH, and fifteen inversions, named the I-BOX Mike Myers Meets GrizzlyCoaster.

4. We will partner with Bolliger & Mabillard to create the world's first dueling launched wing coaster, which will feature seven inversions per track and will replace the Shockwave and Blue Ridge Tollway, with a top speed of 67 MPH.

5. We will convert the old Action Theater into a Triotech with two vertical drop tracks and a surprise inversion, because **** Verbolten.

certifiedcoastergeek I think you have made it clear you are skeptical and you don't believe that Kings Dominion will be getting a major roller coaster or any roller coaster at all. I understand where you are coming from but it makes sense if they add a coaster this year.

A. It would be 6 years since their last coster

B. It falls in line with the longest "40th year anniversary" celebration ever. What better to end this multi-year celebration.

Year 1- They celebrated history by bringing back old rides and sprucing up the park.

Year 2- Still Celebrating 40 years with a water park expansion and to end the celebration it would make sense to announce a new coaster that will be there for the next 40 years!

Year 3- I am calling a Winged Coaster

I think that to some degree your points are valid

A. I think that Cedar Fairs was expecting more out of i305. Similar to how CF hopes Fury 325 will get Carowinds up to the 3 million mark I think they were hoping more people would want to come out for i305.

B. Its a crowded market- CF believes that KD has to draw from MD and VA which has a Six Flags park and a Busch Garden park.

C. They have a pretty solid collection, with little room for improvement.

YES PLEASE!!!! Oh and make it a dueling loop like Twisted Colossus! Imagine a zero g-roll going over an airtime hill!

Do we really have to go into hallucinatory KD fanfiction again? Twilight's got nothin' on whatever you're smokin'.

Dueling? WTF(udge - PG13 censor) no, this isn't Universal. CF will never budget for a new large steel dueling coaster at KD, there's not enough attendance potential to do so.

In 2016, Kings Dominion is excited to bring the world's best ride selection to an amusement park ever.

This $240 million complete revamp of the Old Virginia section of the park will see the removal of every ride in Old Virginia and a handful of new coaster additions:

1. We will relocate Fury 325 and the Intimidator roller coasters from Carowinds amusement park in Charlotte to Kings Dominion and sell the remainder of that park, as well as Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, Michigan's Adventure, and California's Great America to Six Flags Entertainment Corporation to finance the new additions.

2. We will add the world's tallest fastest, and longest roller coaster "Centurion", an Intamin Stratacoaster with a maximum speed of Mach 1.5 and a height of 10,000 feet, as well as ninety-two inversions and an Immelmann loop spanning the length of Virginia Beach with a complete-stop MCBR and restroom area high above Williamsburg so that riders can literally sh!t on Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

3. We will partner with Rocky Mountain Construction and combine the old wooden coasters Hurler and Grizzly to make the world's longest, tallest, and fastest hybrid coaster with a height of 250 feet, top speed of 80 MPH, and fifteen inversions, named the I-BOX Mike Myers Meets GrizzlyCoaster.

4. We will partner with Bolliger & Mabillard to create the world's first dueling launched wing coaster, which will feature seven inversions per track and will replace the Shockwave and Blue Ridge Tollway, with a top speed of 67 MPH.

5. We will convert the old Action Theater into a Triotech with two vertical drop tracks and a surprise inversion, because **** Verbolten.

Why wouldn't it be launched? It's a B&M which means that reliability won't be an issue like with Intamin. Cedar Fair is more concerned with repair costs after a coaster opens (I305) than the initial cost right now. Plus, it would make KD the launch capital of the world again.

The dueling aspect is possible. It could launch into a section and then loop around and launch beside that into another section. Also Kings Dominion is one of the top 5 most visited seasonal parks (as in Six Flags, Cedar Fair, etc.). There's the attendence for one.

Why wouldn't it be launched? It's a B&M which means that reliability won't be an issue like with Intamin. Cedar Fair is more concerned with repair costs after a coaster opens (I305) than the initial cost right now. Plus, it would make KD the launch capital of the world again.

The dueling aspect is possible. It could launch into a section and then loop around and launch beside that into another section. Also Kings Dominion is one of the top 5 most visited seasonal parks (as in Six Flags, Cedar Fair, etc.). There's the attendence for one.

I'd actually be really dissapointed if Kings Dominion added any type of wing rider coaster!

I've ridden both X-Flight at Six Flags Great America and Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and I was'nt impressed with either.

I think wingriders are very painful with the harnesses being way too tight. There's not any looseness feeling whatsoever.

A. I think that Cedar Fairs was expecting more out of i305. Similar to how CF hopes Fury 325 will get Carowinds up to the 3 million mark I think they were hoping more people would want to come out for i305.

B. Its a crowded market- CF believes that KD has to draw from MD and VA which has a Six Flags park and a Busch Garden park.

C. They have a pretty solid collection, with little room for improvement.

Actually I think I305 has had a delayed effect. A lot of people were still intimidated by it through 2011. This year's been maybe a little more crowded than last, which is more than for a decade. I think more people are getting passes. The weirdest part was a surge of crowds immediately after the announcement in 2009, whereas the park was downright eerie back in June, I expected to see tumbleweeds blow through. Their reputation as the coaster capital of the region, even if nothing else, was slipping. They need merely to not let BGW outbuild them now and grow by growing in all areas.

I think there is room for improvement, more in quality than quantity of course. I hate the idea of anything being taken down but replacing a ride of poor repute with a top notch one would make it simpler for the public to compare. That, practical considerations, and the unlikeliness of them interlacing rides or adding means to get around an even larger park makes me think they are only biding their time before this happens.

I'd actually be really dissapointed if Kings Dominion added any type of wing rider coaster!

I've ridden both X-Flight at Six Flags Great America and Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and I was'nt impressed with either.

I think wingriders are very painful with the harnesses being way too tight. There's not any looseness feeling whatsoever.

I'd want a 200 ft tall invert more than anything, but a launched wingrider would be more intense than a regular wingrider.

KD gets good attendance but it's not top 5 among seasonal parks. CP, KI, CW, SFMM, SFGradv, BGW, Hershey, and SFGAM all pull in bigger numbers.

KD gets good attendance but it's not top 5 among seasonal parks. CP, KI, CW, SFMM, SFGradv, BGW, Hershey, and SFGAM all pull in bigger numbers.

I'm pretty sure Kings Dominion pulls in more than SFGAdv and SFGA. But regardless, if Kings Dominion got I305, then I'm sure they can get a major cool ride.

I'm pretty sure Kings Dominion pulls in more than SFGAdv and SFGA. But regardless, if Kings Dominion got I305, then I'm sure they can get a major cool ride.

KD for sure doesn't pull in more than Gradv according to Theme Park Attendance report (which was posted on this board by the way) and I'm almost certain KD doesnt pull in more than SF Great America which has been as high as 3 million in the 90's-early 00's whereas I dont think KD has every seen numbers that high.

Even if somehow KD did pull bigger numbers than GAM it still wouldnt put KD in the top 5 seasonal parks as you say