Robb & Elissa in Japan - 2015!

P. 27 - Nagashima Spaland & The Lockup!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Robb & Elissa in Japan - 2015!

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 pm

Here is some video of Thunder Dolphin that we shot while in Japan. Interestingly, when I first rode this in 2004, I felt it was pretty lame. But then again, we had also ridden Expedition GeForce, Goliath, all three Superman coasters, and Millennium Force within a couple of years before that, so then hitting this one seemed pretty lame in comparison to other other Intamin hypers.

Fast forward 10+ years and a lot of really forceless and boring B&M hypers later and Thunder Dolphin seems MUCH better! While I still feel it is my least favorite of all the Intamin hypers it's certainly better than every single B&M hyper or giga I've ridden!

Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 pm.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 pm

It's weird, there's so much momentum left in this ride when you hit the break run. It seems to me that it could be another thousand feet longer. Just... ...kinda a waste.

I will save judgement for when I ride it though.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:59 am

Thunder Dolphin is quite lame, but at least it has its moments. Unlike the hyper from one particular manufacturer that just wanders around until there is not much momentum left and hits the brake.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:55 am

Thunder Dolphin isn't one of Intamin's better rides, but it does have one hell of a view, and it still beats the crap out of Intimidator at Carowinds or Gatekeeper at Cedar Point.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:08 am

robbalvey wrote:While I still feel it is my least favorite of all the Intamin hypers it's certainly better than every single B&M hyper or giga I've ridden!

I definitely think that Thunder Dolphin does its job for the park. It definitely looks like a coaster that guests would want to ride just for the "wow" factor of being on top of the building, or going through the Ferris wheel. That kind of coaster is really great for a downtown park because the sheer existence of that massive coaster, right smack dab in the middle of EVERYTHING, probably makes residents just want to stop by and take a lap.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby FaithPlus1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:08 am

cfc wrote:Thunder Dolphin isn't one of Intamin's better rides, but it does have one hell of a view, and it still beats the crap out of Intimidator at Carowinds or Gatekeeper at Cedar Point.

Seems like a cheap way to take a shot at other coasters that some people may like.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 am

FaithPlus1 wrote:
cfc wrote:Thunder Dolphin isn't one of Intamin's better rides, but it does have one hell of a view, and it still beats the crap out of Intimidator at Carowinds or Gatekeeper at Cedar Point.

Seems like a cheap way to take a shot at other coasters that some people may like.

Nope. Merely expressing my opinion that Thunder Dolphin is better than both of these rides--particularly when it comes to the view.

As for your opinion, it has been duly noted and logged.
Last edited by cfc on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 am.

Postby glouthan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:16 am

cfc wrote:
FaithPlus1 wrote:

Nope. Merely expressing my opinion that Thunder Dolphin is better than both of these rides--particularly when it comes to the view.

As for your opinion, it has been duly noted and logged.

:nina: :lmao:
Personally, comparisons to other coasters are helpful to me! Thunder Dolphin looks like it has some incredible elements that weave the structures, and even if it's not the most intense ride, it seems like the integration makes up for that.
Last edited by glouthan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:24 am.

Roller coasters are my passion. It's what I do, it's who I am.

Check out my roller coaster blog: www.journeythroughcoasters.com Trip Reports! Ride Reviews! News Updates! and more...

Postby glouthan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:22 am

Oops double post :?r sorry.

Roller coasters are my passion. It's what I do, it's who I am.

Check out my roller coaster blog: www.journeythroughcoasters.com Trip Reports! Ride Reviews! News Updates! and more...

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 am

glouthan wrote:Personally, comparisons to other coasters are helpful to me! Thunder Dolphin looks like it has some incredible elements that weave the structures, and even if it's not the most intense ride, it seems like the integration makes up for that.

The integration with the building and the view are the ride's most interesting elements.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!