TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Wish I could have been there for this, looks like a great event. I watched through a couple of videos and it seems to pretty much follow in the same pattern as last years event. The fireworks/stageshows seems to be close to identical, with just some minor adjustments/improvements. The only exception being Olaf on stage this time, I really feel that adds to the show compared to just having him on screen. I wasn't sure about the costume after just seeing it on pictures, but after watching the videos I've come to the conclusion that it works really well.

Oh, and I love the projection mapping in the sing-a-long show!

I stand by my statement about Disney World for my first visit this year. Their design philosophy has got to be something like "Just how much project mapping onto things can we do?". Its not a bad thing at all to go that route in fact I believe its the complete opposite, its AWESOME especially when Frozen themed!

That is also a good use of the Frozen short film for that theater. I hope that Disneyland uses the Frozen film over here in the Magic Eye theater this year, although I suspect it will be a dark venue most of the summer until they are ready to promote Star Wars.

I stand by my statement about Disney World for my first visit this year. Their design philosophy has got to be something like "Just how much project mapping onto things can we do?". Its not a bad thing at all to go that route in fact I believe its the complete opposite, its AWESOME especially when Frozen themed!

Now I want to have projection mapping on the walls in my apartment...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/06/new-photo-opp-debuts-at-the-great-movie-ride-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

The Great Movie Ride, which transports Disney’s Hollywood Studios guests through film history, has been updated with some new interior and exterior enhancements thanks to a new relationship with Turner Classic Movies.

Guests visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios can now enjoy an all-new photo opportunity that allows them to walk the red carpet and “cement” their handprints outside our Chinese Theatre. (Other enhancements inside include new digital movie posters in the queue (watch carefully to see the classic poster images move). A few new clips will be added into the attraction’s finale montage later this summer.

Guests will also hear new audio components during the tour from Robert Osbourne, actor and Turner Classic Movies film historian. The enhanced narration will assist attraction tour guides in leading guests from famous scene to famous scene, layering in more fun movie facts.

By the way, if you’re a huge fan of Disney films, you’ll want to check out “Treasures from the Disney Vault,” which airs on Turner Classic Movies July 2.

tgdhs123456.jpg.ebb7348e0a092820e1fb3b63a0279c3d.jpg

I think the TCM upgrades made the ride worse. I didnt notice any of the queue line upgrades at all, but I did notice the narration. The guy narrating's voice was kind of annoying, and switching back and forth from the CM on the ride vehicle made it sound disjointed and awkward. I think they should've left it as it was.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was the final day for the Hiro & Baymax Meet & Greet so we went down to say one final goodbye...

Photos by Jack Crouse:

IMG_0856.thumb.jpg.62e1dbcf244a0e8f66149793eb6a6e78.jpg

IMG_0863-Edit.thumb.jpg.0ee8f455028d39c2a5bdc08dfb7c5fe8.jpg

IMG_0865.thumb.jpg.d9a5f71098ebba5a18824ae98630fb87.jpg

IMG_0877.thumb.jpg.32345395429206af1dbb9b2e0cd2b309.jpg

IMG_0881.thumb.jpg.a137830f86b462f28d30a693d3d1497f.jpg

IMG_0886.thumb.jpg.a743994fdb048ac9b8de3540f3883eb1.jpg

IMG_0903.thumb.jpg.67a98c23b63b45a2974bf7fda06b02df.jpg

IMG_9553.thumb.JPG.5e6633493bdb8f3e397b8bd9917853cc.JPG

Thanks for the great photos Jack!

baymax_disneyJR.thumb.jpg.29264da29a311e4c9ff81f35f3b40d13.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

This shot, eerily reminds me of the Disneyland America On Parade,

prior to the 200th Birthday of The Country. Big Heads - small bodies.

It was freeky. Still is.

thumb_img_0903_8.jpg.5ed45c72cca73048387266d214b31459.jpg

Yeah, it's still creepy to me...

I take it they are just making room for someone new to come in.

There probably needs to be an Elsa in every section of the park. Might as well re-theme this park to Frozen during the renovations - at least then it could have a solid park icon once again!

2028961757_SorcererMickeyHat-removal2copy.jpg.fdc31d35e21512f0c19f37575b4bec6d.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Robb!

^I vote for SanFrasokyo to replace the Wonders of Life Pavillion at Epcot, it's themed to healthcare, it's educational, it's a mixture of unique cultures, it works!

I'm pretty excited to see what's in store forthe studios park with all of these closures. I may have mentioned this before but it will be interesting to see what happens with Lights Motors Action stunt show because it seems like that thing is right smack in the middle of an area where expansion will likely take place. With Star Tours where it is you would think any new Star Wars atractions would find there way to that section of the park which makes sense with the rumored clsoing of Muppets and the Backlot tour, but again Lights Motors Action is in the middle of all of that. I wonder if it would be possible to "re-theme" Lights Motors Action to be some kind of live Star Wars stunt show. Is it possible that LMA might be closed as well? Whatever they decide to do I'm sure it'll be great, and that park could use a breath of fresh air.

I'm glad Robb took me to meet Hiro & Baymax, it was great fun! It seems quite strange to remove a Meet & Greet for a popular movie so soon, but it wouldn't surprise me if they make a reapparance somewhere else in the resort. I sure hope so!

9031.jpg.c9724c93c8bf3433da39b6793ac997b6.jpg

We are hitting up Disney next year, and I am thinking that Hollywood studios may only be a 1/2 day park. The only attractions that "we" are interested in that are left are....

Tower of terror

rock n rollercoaster

toy story

star wars

and maybe the movie ride and mermaid.

I really find it hard to believe that they are charging as much as they are for admision to this park, and have so many closed attractions. I am thinking that the first half of our day could be spent at animal kingdom, and then Hollywood studios for the remainder of the day.

We are hitting up Disney next year, and I am thinking that Hollywood studios may only be a 1/2 day park. The only attractions that "we" are interested in that are left are....

Tower of terror

rock n rollercoaster

toy story

star wars

Yeah, that's about right! lol

I really find it hard to believe that they are charging as much as they are for admission to this park, and have so many closed attractions.

But you have to remember that WDW operates VERY differently from most normal parks. First of all, the attractions that people will want to ride most ARE open. Secondly, almost NOBODY pays "ticket booth prices" at WDW. The majority of people are on some sort of length-of-stay pass which means every day you add on to your Disney stay, your average daily cost goes way down. After four days, it usually costs about $10 per day to stay longer on Disney property. So when you look at it that way, you're getting a park for ten bucks, and getting to ride Tower, Coaster, Mania, Star Tours, and GMR for ten bucks is a pretty damn good deal!

Tower of terror

rock n rollercoaster

toy story

star wars

I really find it hard to believe that they are charging as much as they are for admision to this park, and have so many closed attractions. I am thinking that the first half of our day could be spent at animal kingdom, and then Hollywood studios for the remainder of the day.

Well, you named every ride in the park, and yeah, it is a half day park right now and for the near (3-4 years) future if you don't want to do the shows. I'd suggest going there first or going to a water park in the morning because of the whole "only one park per day" rule for MyMagic+.

• 1 month later...

Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Aug. 15, 2015) – Today at the D23 EXPO 2015, The Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced to an audience of more than 7,500 fans that Star Wars-themed lands will be coming to Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif., and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla., allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away.

Ambitious plans to bring Star Wars to life in the two parks include creating Disney’s largest single themed land expansions ever at 14 acres each, transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.

"I am thrilled to announce the next chapter in the long and exciting history between Disney Parks and Star Wars,” said Iger. “We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single themed land expansion ever. These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet, including an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”

These authentic lands will have two signature attractions. Along with the thrilling battle experience, another attraction puts guests behind the controls of one of the most recognizable ships in the galaxy, the Millennium Falcon, as they take on a customized secret mission.

Iger also shared concept images of the Star Wars-themed lands, giving fans a glimpse at what is to come for Disney parks.

The partnership between Disney and Lucasfilm dates back to 1987, when the successful Star Tours attraction, inspired by George Lucas’s legendary Star Wars film series, opened at Disneyland. The attraction was then redesigned, emerging as “Star Tours – The Adventures Continue” in 2011 and featuring more than 50 different story outcomes and the possibility to visit five different planets.

For 60 years, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has been delighting millions of people with fantastic storytelling, exceptional entertainment and extraordinary experiences, creating places where guests can make life-long memories with their friends and families. This announcement marks an unprecedented time of growth with exciting developments happening around the world – from Disneyland Resort’s Diamond Celebration to the anticipated opening of Shanghai Disney Resort in China.

8_15_WDI_001.thumb.JPG.2c35f005d84a5b3484981decd5386071.JPG

8_15_WDI_002.thumb.JPG.ba91c09516d9aa8a50065cdfd7947c3f.JPG

8_15_WDI_003.thumb.JPG.e0ec8a736a1142eccfe144df573cc80d.JPG

Toy Story Land Announced for Hollywood Studios!

CMe6kMIUwAAW6wz.jpg

Toy Story Land has been officially announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios!

CMe7OGIUwAARsHL.jpg

New Buzz Lightyear UFO ride and Slinky Dog Coaster announced for Toy Story Land!

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Announces New Lands, Entertainment and Experiences at D23 EXPO 2015

Star Wars, Toy Story Land, Pandora – The World of AVATAR, Soarin’ and Iron Man among new experiences coming for guests

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Aug. 15, 2015) – Today, Disney announced a line-up of new attractions and entertainment coming to its theme parks around the world during the D23 EXPO 2015 in Anaheim, Calif.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek gave 7,500 lucky fans a behind-the-scenes look at what’s to come. He was joined by Imagineers working on these projects as well as legendary filmmakers James Cameron and Jon Landau who shared new details about Pandora – The World of AVATAR including the names of the land and E-ticket attraction – AVATAR Flight of Passage. Fans also got a chance to see Marvel legend Stan Lee in a cameo appearance where he posed as an unsuspecting fan during Iron Man’s dramatic entrance.

Among the many announcements Chapek shared were new and enhanced Star Wars experiences coming later this year to the Florida and California theme parks, plans for a new Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and more details on Pandora—The World of AVATAR, which is already under construction at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Chapek also shared that Soarin’ Around the World will make its U.S. film debut at Epcot and Disney California Adventure taking guests to new places around the world. Additionally, fans got a preview of exclusive video of the first Marvel attraction planned for Disney parks, coming to Hong Kong Disneyland in 2016.

“From Disneyland’s 60th anniversary celebration to the anticipation of Shanghai Disney Resort, we’re in the midst of unprecedented growth and expansion around the globe,” said Chapek. “With these new announcements, we continue our legacy in creating innovative attractions, worldwide entertainment, and magical lands that take our guests into the worlds of stories they love.”

In addition to these announcements, Chapek talked about the exciting news announced earlier in the day by Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company Bob Iger for plans to bring Star Wars-themed lands to Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando and Disneyland park in Anaheim. Each 14-acre land will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet with two signature attractions, including a customized secret mission on the Millennium Falcon and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle.

Details on each of the projects include:

Star Wars Enhancements & New Experiences

From a new Star Tours adventure to Star Wars Launch Bay, from a new Jedi Training Academy to "Season of the Force,” soon guests will be part of both new and enhanced experiences at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort.

· Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – Later this year, Star Tours will include a new adventure featuring locations and characters from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, giving guests a new adventure in the Star Wars galaxy.

· Star Wars Launch Bay – This interactive experience will take guests into the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, including opportunities to visit with new and favorite Star Wars characters, special merchandise and food offerings. Star Wars Launch Bay will be located in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park. Also atDisneyland park, Star Wars Launch Bay will share the space with the reimagined Super Hero HQ, featuring opportunities to meet and take photos with super heroes like Captain America and Thor, as well as experience the returning Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries. Both experiences will be available for guests later this year.

· Jedi Training Academy — A favorite of younger fans is reimagined with a new experience that includes new characters and a new villain to battle from the popular Disney XD series "Star Wars Rebels."

· Season of the Force – This new seasonal event, beginning early 2016, brings new experiences to both coasts. In Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, guests will explore the Star Wars galaxy with special entertainment throughout the land, themed food locations and more. Guests also will be thrilled to climb aboard Hyperspace Mountain, a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction, in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle. At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests will close out weekend nights with a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies.

Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida

The reimagining of Disney’s Hollywood Studios will take guests to infinity and beyond, allowing them to step into the worlds of their favorite films, starting with Toy Story Land. This new 11-acre land will transport guests into the adventurous outdoors of Andy’s backyard. Guests will think they've been shrunk to the size of Woody and Buzz as they are surrounded by oversized toys that Andy has assembled using his vivid imagination. Using toys like building blocks, plastic buckets and shovels, and game board pieces, Andy has designed the perfect setting for this land, which will include two new attractions for any Disney park and one expanded favorite.

· Family-friendly roller coaster – All on the back of Slinky Dog, this coaster will zip and zoom, plunge and coast as it takes guests on a fun, toy-filled adventure throughout the new land.

· Alien saucers attraction – The famous little green aliens from the movie will take guests around for a spin in their very own flying saucers. The music, lighting and sound effects add to the flurry of action, while “The Claw” looms over.

· Toy Story Mania! – Guests glide into the Toy Story Midway Games Play Set and take aim at 3D objects in a variety of fast-paced games, with an expansion that adds a third track to this popular attraction.

After Dark at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Pandora – The World of AVATAR

As part of the largest expansion in the park’s history, Disney’s Animal Kingdom will immerse guests into the world of Pandora, and the entire park will transform after dark with new nighttime entertainment experiences, offering guests longer days than ever before to experience this one-of-a-kind theme park.

· “Rivers of Light” – Expected to open next spring, “Rivers of Light” will be an innovative experience unlike anything ever seen in a Disney park, combining live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery. “Rivers of Light” will magically come to life on the natural stage of Discovery River, delighting guests and truly capping off a full day of adventures at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

· Kilimanjaro Safaris – This popular attraction will be extended for a new nighttime adventure next spring, where guests will travel through the African savanna amid the magically extended orange glow of the setting sun and discover two species new to the attraction: African wild dogs and hyenas.

· Pandora – The World of AVATAR – Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests will journey into the magnificent world of Pandora at this new AVATAR-themed land – a world that includes floating mountains, a bioluminescent forest and the winged creatures known as Banshees, giving guests a transformational experience they will never forget.

o AVATAR Flight of Passage – This E-ticket attraction, the centerpiece of Pandora, allows guests to soar on a Banshee over a vast alien world. The spectacular flying experience will give guests a birds-eye view of the beauty and grandeur of the world of Pandora on an aerial rite of passage.

Soarin’ Around the World in Florida and California

Next year, guests at Epcot in Florida and Disney California Adventure in California will journey to far-flung lands and fly above some of the world’s most unique natural landscapes and man-made wonders when the new Soarin’ Around the World makes its U.S. debut.

Iron Man Unveiled for Hong Kong Disneyland

Iron Man landed at D23 EXPO today for a special appearance, and soon Hong Kong Disneyland guests will have the opportunity to meet and take photos with the Super Hero himself. Set to open in 2016, Iron Man Experience will be the first Marvel attraction at any Disney park, taking guests on an epic adventure over the streets and in the sky above Hong Kong. The adventure will begin at the new Stark Expo where guests board the Iron Wing to take flight and battle Hydra alongside fan-favorite Avenger, Iron Man.

Slinky Dog Animation:

CMe7k38UEAAs5eE.jpg.41646ac26a3a0ed7500e0afb25673a23.jpg

CMe8fJeUYAQlp80.jpg.95464cb772cfee2af7411e0adcc64dcc.jpg

8_15_WDI_004.thumb.jpg.c35863d480d4688b972c80175f0b2220.jpg

8_15_WDI_005.thumb.JPG.c97e6724cc64e8b093e35e08202f1267.JPG

8_15_WDI_006.thumb.JPG.e6623a5355c70f65e3f8e4a66ae895b6.JPG

8_15_WDI_008.thumb.jpg.9174ae97faff35a955465165b7a09086.jpg

8_15_WDI_009.thumb.JPG.14f7104cd81b96f31e187e9b7ef5dc2e.JPG

8_15_WDI_010.thumb.JPG.be938ba43db965bdd2a2371528176e5f.JPG

8_15_WDI_011.thumb.JPG.224b4c109db2e54c26615ebe3c693197.JPG

8_15_WDI_008.jpg.zip

High-Res version of Toy Story Land Concept Art.

Edited by robbalvey

Just a question but, did they caption either of these art concepts to which park it would be in?

I love all three of the artworks, but am wondering which one is/was for DL, and the other for DHS.

Or did they leave it unanswered, for now?