Robb & Elissa in Japan - 2015!

P. 27 - Nagashima Spaland & The Lockup!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Robb & Elissa in Japan - 2015!

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:53 am

Our next adventure was Nasu Highland Park, which is a couple of hours north of Tokyo by train & taxi in a more mountainous resort area of Tokyo. It snows here during the winter and this is the park that we filmed our famous 'roller coasters in the snow' video at many years ago. We really like this park a lot. It's hard to describe because like a big American park like a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park, it has a lot of big roller coasters, some petty good ones, decent amount of flat rides, a couple of dark rides, and really is a "full day" amusement park. But it doesn't look or feel like any US amusement park. There are things very uniquely Japanese about it and I'll get to some of those in the photos below.

There are a couple of coasters here, namely Big Boom and Spin Turn, while they aren't going to break my "top 20" list by any means, they are very SOLID and really fun rides! Some of the better in Japan so that certainly makes this park well worth the visit!

Remember, we are live tweeting from Japan so follow us on Twitter @themeparkreview - http://www.twitter.com/themeparkreview

Onto some photos...
Nasu_Update_01.jpg
Shall we start the morning by grabbing a beer from the hotel vending machine? Could you imagine how well that would work in America if hotel vending machines had beer in them? lol

Nasu_Update_02.jpg
We have arrived at Nasu Highland!

Nasu_Update_03.jpg
Thank you Woopy!

Nasu_Update_04.jpg
It's a beautiful day out today, and should be awesome to hang out with some friends at this park!

Nasu_Update_05.jpg
They have a lot of random fun collection of rides. Gotta love anything called the "Hello Kitty Pop N Smile" ride!

Nasu_Update_06.jpg
Gotta find someone to bring back here later! <3

Nasu_Update_07.jpg
First coaster of the day! The Batflyer!

Nasu_Update_08.jpg
Or is that the Bat Fryer?

Nasu_Update_09.jpg
Hello Elissa & Kristen!

Nasu_Update_10.jpg
There are not many Bat Fryer's left in the world! Although I think Japan has two or three of them.

Nasu_Update_11.jpg
You can ALMOST fit two "western-sized" adults in the cars!

Nasu_Update_12.jpg
Wheeeee!

Nasu_Update_13.jpg
The are short rides, low capacity, but they are actually kind of fun!

Nasu_Update_14.jpg
Love the super huge pirate ship they have here!

Nasu_Update_15.jpg
The lower section of the park, where they have their four bigger coasters just looks like a mess of track with them all built on top of each other.

Nasu_Update_16.jpg
And this is BIG BOOM!

Nasu_Update_17.jpg
Big Boom is a super funky ride but it's a LOT of fun!

Nasu_Update_18.jpg
First off, it has this really steep drop. It's not vertical by any means, but it certainly FEELS like it, and you really are cruising pretty fast when you get to this point and get whipped over that drop!

Nasu_Update_19.jpg
Some thumbs up for Big Boom! I personally prefer the crazy airtime you get in the front seat!

Nasu_Update_20.jpg
You get some awesome airtime over this hill going into the vertical loop.

Nasu_Update_21.jpg
It feels like straight down!

Nasu_Update_22.jpg
Loop-de-Loop!

Nasu_Update_23.jpg
Gotta love the crazy amount of tires they use to stop the trains at the end of the ride!

Nasu_Update_24.jpg
It had rained a bit during our visit, so the ride op was out there blow drying the tracks to get the ride re-opened sooner! I love Japan!

Here's a video of Big Boom we shot in 2011 to get an idea of what the ride is like:

Nasu_Update_25.jpg
Spin Turn is another really crazy ride!

Nasu_Update_26.jpg
So at the start, it goes kind of slow...but if the cars are balanced just wrong...by the end of it you will spin more than on almost any other spinning coaster! It's crazy!

Nasu_Update_27.jpg
Camel Coaster is pretty much your typical Japanese "Jet Coaster..."

Nasu_Update_28.jpg
Which kind of means it's really big, really long, but doesn't do anything that special. It's sort of like a really big mine train.

Nasu_Update_29.jpg
The section has this bizarre USA 1950s theme to it...

Nasu_Update_30.jpg
...with a decent collection of cars!

Nasu_Update_31.jpg
Hmmm...Selfie Sticks or Frozen? I wonder which I'll choose?

Nasu_Update_32.jpg
WE ARE ON A LOG FLUME! Check out our new video! It really pissed a bunch of people off so that means it must be AWESOME! lol

And of course VIDEO of "We Are On A Log Flume..."

Nasu_Update_33.jpg
"They are on a log flume..."

Nasu_Update_34.jpg
So the park has a Vekoma SLC....

Nasu_Update_35.jpg
With an unhealthy amount of head padding...

Nasu_Update_36.jpg
I have no idea what they did to this one, but it really is one of the ROUGHEST SLC's I've been on. It's like T2 bad. The extra padding DID help, but WOW! It was brutal!

Here's the POV of Nasu's SLC. As you can see, this version is... um... "Not Good!" lol

Nasu_Update_37.jpg
You cannot bring ice cream on the SLC...just in case you were wondering.

Nasu_Update_38.jpg
Nasu Highland has this amazing food option....

Nasu_Update_39.jpg
You can rent a stick or a fishing pole, go to the river and catch a fish, then they will cook it for you right on the grill! So insane!

Nasu_Update_40.jpg
Instead of catching a fish, we opted for the "Itarian Corner" for some food...

Nasu_Update_41.jpg
Um...well, actually maybe we'll just stick to the Japanese corner...

Nasu_Update_42.jpg
I pretty much live off Katsu Curry and Yakitori when in Japan. I don't think there is anything wrong with that!

Nasu_Update_43.jpg
This place also had "Gyoza Curry" which was delicious!

Nasu_Update_44.jpg
Yin even found a "Green Tea Churro!" Yummu!

Nasu_Update_45.jpg
There really are a lot of double-decker carousels in Japan. Tokyo DisneySea has an amazing one that we will see later in the trip.

Nasu_Update_46.jpg
Kristen had some good luck at the claw machine and will be bringing "Fluff" home a few new friends.

Nasu_Update_47.jpg
The park had this indoor "kids discovery" center and one of the exhibits was all about roller coasters.

Nasu_Update_48.jpg
This was seriously amazing as it showed different tracks, one of them that actually worked, and the other two that didn't. You would roll the balls down the track and one of them would make it and two of them would not.

Nasu_Update_49.jpg
It was kind of like a real-life RCT!

Nasu_Update_50.jpg
Especially since there was an area where you could build your own coaster track!

Nasu_Update_52.jpg
Joe was very sad that the rain closed down the powered coaster...maybe next time, Joe.

Nasu_Update_53.jpg
Oh, the park had one of these awesome safari shooting rides!

Nasu_Update_54.jpg
You get in a little jeep, pull out your gun...

Nasu_Update_55.jpg
...and then start shooting animals! It's so un-PC it's awesome!

Nasu_Update_56.jpg
And of course no Japanese park would be complete without a huge Ferris Wheel...

Nasu_Update_57.jpg
Yesterday's Ferris Wheel was theme to cheese...this one is themed to fruit...of course!

Nasu_Update_58.jpg
Two of the cars on this wheel were specially designed for "lovers."

Nasu_Update_59.jpg
So of course I took Jack into one of them! =)

Nasu_Update_60.jpg
"Hey baby! Those are some cute rodents on your shoulder!"

Nasu_Update_61.jpg
The lovers car was amazing! It had speakers so you can plug in your own iPod to get a groovy lovers mix playing. Stuffed animals, and even a mirror. If you're gonna have sex on a Ferris Wheel, might as well do it in STYLE!

Nasu_Update_62.jpg
"Come a bit closer, honey!"

Nasu_Update_63.jpg
I'm not sure what this is, but I'm assuming that says something like "Pay an extra amount and you'll get a key to this box which includes even MORE weird lovers stuff!"

Nasu_Update_64.jpg
The view of the park from the top of the Ferris Wheel...AMAZING!

Nasu_Update_65.jpg
This maze was new for this year...

Nasu_Update_66.jpg
...it's this crazy multi-level maze filled with different challenges. It was actually really awesome!

Nasu_Update_67.jpg
They have one of these weird Togo-made half paratrooper/half-enterprise wheels where they seats lock half way around to flip you upside down. It's weird, but fun.

Nasu_Update_68.jpg
YES!!!! The powered coaster re-opened!

Nasu_Update_69.jpg
This made Joe VERY happy!

Nasu_Update_70.jpg
Thanks again Nasu for another fun day! We will be back!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:40 am.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 am

Will we see a Yokohama Cosmoworld variant of the song this trip?

We are on a log flume.... we are on a log flume.... we are on a log flume and getting air-time.... we are on a log flume.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:38 am

Nasu Highland looks like a very fun park. I love how all the rollercoasters just looks to be thrown together on top of each other. Oh, and I'm sure Jack enjoyed that ferris wheel ride very much... ;)

robbalvey wrote:And this of course was awesome on so many levels!

=) :Pr :) ;) :lmao: :evil: :lover: :mickey:

The Norwegian Viking approves of this game! (and definitely the screenshot for the video :p )

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:13 am

Do they serve it on a stick?

Do they have Bat Monte Cristo Sandwiches?

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby thepoint4life23 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:32 am

I want to go to Japan So bad!!!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:50 am

Technically, Bat Flyer would be Romanized as "Batto Furaiyaa", so the sign is actually somewhat accurate. Although it would be awesome if there actually was a fryer on the ride.
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby soilooklikemanson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:14 am

I want to hop on a plane so bad and see Japan. What an awesome trip you are having. BEER VENDING MACHINES. .......... what a great society. The people in Japan seem so..... well, just GREAT. I'm following this trip report very hard so I can learn how to be a GOOD American when I visit. Have fun guys. Dang that place looks amaze balls
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/1d7e1e3746714dfa972df43445d88abb.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby psychojad » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:31 am

Great TR as usual, but the most important question I have is: Where did the redheaded girl buy that Sarcasm T-Shirt! I totally need one! Thanks =)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:22 pm

his is the awesome "Cheese Wheel." Yes. It is a Ferris Wheel themed to cheese!

The US definitely needs more cheese-themed attractions...yeah, I'm looking at you, Wisconsin Dells!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Garet wrote:Will we see a Yokohama Cosmoworld variant of the song this trip?

We are on a log flume.... we are on a log flume.... we are on a log flume and getting air-time.... we are on a log flume.

I'm thinking once a year this song will surface and it has to be pretty spontaneous. This one just kind of happened! But the airtime log flume is certainly a future contender.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!