Photo TR: SFGAd opening weekend

BACT attacks Great Adventure!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I'm the gyro!

Photo TR: SFGAd opening weekend

Postby DerekRx » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:26 pm

Lots of new stuff going on at Great Adventure this year. For starters, there's that giant Intamin plug and play, which is still like *maybe* 50% done, and by my estimates will open in June (though I won't say what year) :) Opened new this year now is Bugs Bunny National Park, another kiddie area located between the lake and the Frontier Adventure flume. There's a few new rides, new theming and colors, but all of it is meant for the youngins, unless you're totally into going around in a circle really slowly in miniature airplanes and what not. :roll:

Cosmetically, the entrance music was really fitting, the park has lots of flowers, and surprisingly really happy employees. Every employee I saw was pleasant, asking how our day was, if we had any questions, and told us to have a great day. There's also lots of street players, from a director and actress in Movie Town to a couple of bands, and some comic acts roaming the park. Lots of costumed characters, including a Bugs Bunny before you even get off the main road INTO the park! I don't know how long it will last, or if the Jersey-folk will tolerate it, but it was really cool. I didn't walk the park scowering every inch of it for changes, so if you want that, you'll have to go elsewhere. I'll let the pictures and captions do most of the talking, especially for the El Toro pics. The members of the Beer And Coaster Team (BACT) had a really good day at Great Adventure and actually look forward to returning soon! One thing I'll conclude on, I've been to 2 Six Flags parks in 2 weeks on other sides of the country, and the staff has been friendly and actually made my day enjoyable. Well done Shapiro!
SFGAd04020604.jpg
So here's the 2 newest coasters, both Intamin goodness
SFGAd04020608.jpg
They gave giant souvenir maps with your parking which is a great idea, and they also had balloons, beads, and stickers as soon as you got thru the metal detectors
SFGAd04020609.jpg
Lots of street actors including these stilt walkers
SFGAd04020611.jpg
And what trip to a park would be complete without a scary ACEr, this one was too excited about riding the Batoosey that he even forgot to put pants on!
SFGAd04020612.jpg
For some stupid reason we all decided to ride Kingda Ka again.
SFGAd04020610.jpg
There was even a DJ there to entertain us while we waited to ride
SFGAd04020613.jpg
Finally, shortly after 12, the ride opened
SFGAd04020615.jpg
Ellen, Adam, Kim, and Heath enjoy their launch
SFGAd04020617.jpg
Street performers play some "Take me out to the ballgame" in front of Nathans
SFGAd04020618.jpg
Opening sometime when its finished will be the highlight of my 2006, El Toro!
SFGAd04020622.jpg
Heath thinks if he gives El Toro some refreshment, he'll get built faster. Shortly after this photo, some union guys grabbed Heath and he was thrown into the Hudson wearing cement shoes
SFGAd04020623.jpg
WHOA! EXTREME banking!!!!
SFGAd04020625.jpg
Rolling Thunder looks like the offspring of El Toro and Kingda Ka, when in fact its the oldest!
SFGAd04020626.jpg
From the other side of the lake, this looks way more attactive than Viper did, and this is only half finished!
SFGAd04020627.jpg
Oh yeah! And Runaway Train got some TLC in the offseason, now with new paint and new restraints!
SFGAd04020636.jpg
Oooh, individual lap bars instead of that awful Arrow T-bar
SFGAd04020637.jpg
Heath and I are very excited
SFGAd04020634.jpg
Now the coat hanger airtime is actually pleasant!
SFGAd04020639.jpg
Vertical loop! Medusa is still lightyears smoother and more attractive than its younger brother Scream!.
SFGAd04020640.jpg
The floorless coaster may be a gimmick, but Great Adventure was made way better with the addition of Medusa
SFGAd04020630.jpg
Here's the new for 2006 kiddie area
SFGAd04020644.jpg
Sadly, no more McDonalds. Not that it was ever opened or that you wanted to pay $9.98 for a 6 piece McNugget meal
SFGAd04020643.jpg
You can never have too many of these Zamperla things at SFGAd
SFGAd04020646.jpg
Another kiddie ride at BBNP
SFGAd04020648.jpg
Heehee, Wanger!
SFGAd04020651.jpg
Batman, its 1st vertical loop, and another Zamperla Samba balloon
SFGAd04020656.jpg
At least for now, Nitro is still my favorite ride at the park, and was running great
SFGAd04020653.jpg
Ellen got a free phallic crayon from the DJ, which she immediately stuck in her mouth :)
SFGAd04020654.jpg
Mmmmm, old school vertical loop forces
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Sweet photos, man. I like what I'm seeing so far in all the "SF Opening" photo tr's that have been popping up recently. RMT was one of my first coasters, it's great to see it hasn't been neglected with all the other action going around in the park.
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

THE BOY

Postby Ed » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:45 pm

It looks like the Six Flags parks are really starting to get a bit more jolly jolly jolly. Nice to see them putting in a kiddie area aswell as one heyuuge woodie.

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:54 pm

I bet anything that all the "nice SF-ness" will NOT apply to SFDL.... lol! Maybe I should head there on May 6 to check it out. Or not. :roll:

SFGAdv, on the other hand, looks like a place I definitely need to visit in the next couple years. El Toro looks like it's going to be amazing. :b
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Idiot.

Postby Tomizzle For Rizzle » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:57 pm

Derek! Looks like you met the famous Batman Dude! We saw him last at SFOG in 05. Did he have his whistle with him that be blows constantly on the coasters? LOL

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:21 pm

Great Adventure is looking very nice!

Yeah, they had the Looney Tunes at the front of Over Georgia and all over the park last weekend too!

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:26 pm

I didn't see the whistle on him this time. We've seen him around before. Last time was up at SFNE where he was decked out in all Superman attire, and yes, he had his Superman whistle with him then, and he wasn't afraid to use it on the ride!
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:19 pm

I have seen him in Superman mode at SFA.

Interesting.
Ted

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Location: Coney Island by Day. Staten Island by Night. Tokyo in my Sleep!

Postby CycloneMan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:29 pm

I was there Friday. Felt good to be back.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby CoasterEricHP » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Wow.. It just hit me how amazing SFGadv's lineup of coasters is.. With the addition of El Toro, it has arguably the best overall.. anywhere! Hopefully the new management will improve the operation issues and all of the other small problems around the park. In a few more years Cedar Point may be in the rear view mirror of this park... maybe.. but they'll still be trying to catch up with Knoebels.

Great TR by the way... I'll be out here in Pittsburgh waiting for Kennywood..

Eric

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive