TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The new slide tower looks like a great addition to the waterpark and I like how it's still included with KD admission. I've been on a few of those trapdoor slides at Noah's Ark and SFMM and they are by far my favorite water slides. The anticipation that builds while waiting for the bottom to open is just incredible. The only drawback is that the trapdoor slides are single rider and tend to have long lines, but having three slides should help out a lot with capacity. I also like how there are both body and tube slides on this tower and that each slide offers a unique experience. I really hope we see more of these towers installed at CF parks, I know that Knott's Soak City could really use one. (The last waterpark addition at Knott's was the Proslide Tornado back in 2006.) This addition really makes KD a two day park and I think gives it an advantage over Water Country since there's no separate admission charge.

hmm, do i venture into the waterpark during my one day visit or just try and get the most rides possible on I305? i've never been on a trap door slide, but i've also never been on I305.

hmm, do i venture into the waterpark during my one day visit or just try and get the most rides possible on I305? i've never been on a trap door slide, but i've also never been on I305.

If you absolutely have to choose one or the other, choose Intimidator; otherwise, on a weekday you should have time for both (both are world-class rides).

Here's a radical concept: A B&M 4D coaster. Yeah I know, this is many years away, but it would be cool for Kings Dominion to be the first on the east coast to have one.

Here's a not-so-radical concept, Omar: It won't happen. Hear me out: Kings Dominion is my home park, and I've been visiting since the post-Volcano Paramount years. I would love nothing more than another world-class B&M or Intamin coaster to complement Volcano and Intimidator 305. I agree that Cedar Fair is completely dissing KD by postponing the park's next large coaster. Since 2013-2014, Kings Dominion has arguably been due for a new, large coaster (and I ain't talkin' Triotechs here). Unfortunately, there's enough evidence at this point that we can with near-absolute certainty rule out a large roller coaster for Kings Dominion in 2016. My guess is that Cedar Point gets the largest coaster in 2016, with Worlds of Fun or Valleyfair getting a smaller B&M. In 2017, however, I could see a pair of identical medium-large B&Ms implemented at Canada's Wonderland and at Kings Dominion. As for 2016, expect a thrilling flat ride or a Triotech and the removal of Shockwave (or even just minor improvements) in preparation for 2017 at Kings Dominion. The only reason why CF might hesitate on a Triotech in the next few years is that they already have a 3D shooting dark ride in Boo Blasters. It's not fantastic, but it's still fun albeit tacky. But coming back to the topic of a B&M 4D coaster:

1. Space - For the first time ever, KD is all but out of space for attractions, meaning something's gotta go to make way for the new, and those 4D coasters are frickin' HUGE.

2. Cost - I doubt that Cedar Fair will drop $40M plus on KD in one year, especially with the v

3. "Carowinds Master Race" mentality This is really putting the brakes on any large investments in KD, at least for 10-20 years.

1. Space - For the first time ever, KD is all but out of space for attractions, meaning something's gotta go to make way for the new, and those 4D coasters are frickin' HUGE.

If you worked at the park or had any idea how much land Kings Dominion owns you would retract this statement immediately... The land parcel the park sits on is a little over double the size of the current park. In fact, I heard when Cedar Fair purchase the Paramount parks they felt that KI, Canada's Wonderland and KD had the most potential due to extra land available for development. Remember, the Lion Country Safari lands have been relatively undeveloped since it closed (other than the Intimidator site) Their is ample land behind Hurler, the south end of the Soak City and Behind Intimidator. By no means do I suggest that this land is going to be developed in the immediate future but I would say that Kings Dominion is in way better shape with extra land than Kennywood or Gronaland.

ALSO, something to keep in mind, i305 has cost Cedar Fair close to 32 million... (25 million for its design, assembly and site construction, 1 million for a new lift motor in 2011, and 9 million for the replaced first turn in the 2010-11 offseason). Carowind's Intimidator and Fury cost a total of 53 million (not including the new park entrance) Maybe soon KD will make up that 19 million difference...

I hope that Cedar Fair chooses to build a new coaster with the next few years that is worth it.

Here's a radical concept: A B&M 4D coaster. Yeah I know, this is many years away, but it would be cool for Kings Dominion to be the first on the east coast to have one.

Here's a not-so-radical concept, Omar: It won't happen. Hear me out: Kings Dominion is my home park, and I've been visiting since the post-Volcano Paramount years. I would love nothing more than another world-class B&M or Intamin coaster to complement Volcano and Intimidator 305. I agree that Cedar Fair is completely dissing KD by postponing the park's next large coaster. Since 2013-2014, Kings Dominion has arguably been due for a new, large coaster (and I ain't talkin' Triotechs here). Unfortunately, there's enough evidence at this point that we can with near-absolute certainty rule out a large roller coaster for Kings Dominion in 2016. My guess is that Cedar Point gets the largest coaster in 2016, with Worlds of Fun or Valleyfair getting a smaller B&M. In 2017, however, I could see a pair of identical medium-large B&Ms implemented at Canada's Wonderland and at Kings Dominion. As for 2016, expect a thrilling flat ride or a Triotech and the removal of Shockwave (or even just minor improvements) in preparation for 2017 at Kings Dominion. The only reason why CF might hesitate on a Triotech in the next few years is that they already have a 3D shooting dark ride in Boo Blasters. It's not fantastic, but it's still fun albeit tacky. But coming back to the topic of a B&M 4D coaster:

2. Cost - I doubt that Cedar Fair will drop $40M plus on KD in one year, especially with the v

3. "Carowinds Master Race" mentality This is really putting the brakes on any large investments in KD, at least for 10-20 years.

That's why I said "concept" and not "possibility".

Also, Carowinds is not going to affect Kings Dominion, just like Cedar Point doesn't affect Kings Island. We are still the 4th, sometimes 3rd most visited park in the chain, meaning we are still going to get new attractions throughout the years.

I still do not totally understand how Shockwave has a very very long load time EVEN with two trains. You have to wait for a long time on the break run before you go back into the station. I rode it yesterday. I think it would be much faster with a one train operation.

^^-- the throughput would be reduced by the actual ride time including the slow lift. Clearly, the second train doesn't double the capacity, like it would on many coasters, as it sits there on the brakes. I have seen, over 5 years ago, them only run one train due to rain. Since the rain also kept crowds away, it was a much better time to reride Shockwave (I suggest 3x).

I still do not totally understand how Shockwave has a very very long load time EVEN with two trains. You have to wait for a long time on the break run before you go back into the station. I rode it yesterday. I think it would be much faster with a one train operation.

I think it's largely due to the restraint system, which is a pain for many guests and often requires individual adjustments for riders. I've seen the same issues with B&M stand-up coasters, too.

Are we feeling a bit envious? Jaded? No need to feel that way.

Anyway, Carowinds has been in need of more attractions for a long time. It was one of the unloved stepchildren when it was under Paramount (outside of getting Top Gun/Afterburn). I'm sure many at Carowinds felt the same way about KD seeming to get everything back then. Kings Dominion has a nice selection/quantity of coasters. Having them focus more on aesthetics for the time being is of great substance and is needed to keep people coming back. KD will get a new big investment soon, don't worry. They are just trying to get the other under-served markets up to par.

Carowinds is about to go down one coaster(two technically if you count TR as 2 as I do since they are independent of one another). Charlotte has a population growth that will tip 1 million in the next 5-10 years...that's the city..not the Metro area which is way more than that. Carowinds also has the potential to extend their operating season since (besides KBF) it is the furthest south. If Dollywood (in the mountains) can stay open til New Years, then there is really no reason they couldn't do the same at Carowinds. They have to make the park ready/worth it to keep open longer. This at least is one reason I think they are focusing more on this park.

Are we feeling a bit envious? Jaded? No need to feel that way.

Anyway, Carowinds has been in need of more attractions for a long time. It was one of the unloved stepchildren when it was under Paramount (outside of getting Top Gun/Afterburn). I'm sure many at Carowinds felt the same way about KD seeming to get everything back then. Kings Dominion has a nice selection/quantity of coasters. Having them focus more on aesthetics for the time being is of great substance and is needed to keep people coming back. KD will get a new big investment soon, don't worry. They are just trying to get the other under-served markets up to par.

Carowinds is about to go down one coaster(two technically if you count TR as 2 as I do since they are independent of one another). Charlotte has a population growth that will tip 1 million in the next 5-10 years...that's the city..not the Metro area which is way more than that. Carowinds also has the potential to extend their operating season since (besides KBF) it is the furthest south. If Dollywood (in the mountains) can stay open til New Years, then there is really no reason they couldn't do the same at Carowinds. They have to make the park ready/worth it to keep open longer. This at least is one reason I think they are focusing more on this park.

I agree. Carowinds badly needs these updates. Kings Dominion is already a well established park. And that giant dueling wing coaster is coming either 2016 or 2017, so we shouldn't expect the park to be abandoned like Six Flags America.

Imtimidator305 felt really rough for a steel coaster yesterday when i rode it in the very back. My back now hurts this afternoon. Has anyone else noticed that Imtimidator305 is insanely rough for a steel coaster?

H ll no! I305 is one of the smoothest coasters out there! The back is rougher on most coasters anyways.