TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I hate to spoil the media day fun but my friends and I visited the park on Sunday for the first time and witnessed the most disturbing ride operation we have ever seen.

We were in line for Boomerang, our last ride of the day, when a train began to dispatch. We could soon sense some tension by guests on the platform and then, once the vehicle was visible to the queue, we could clearly see a guest having a seizure on the ride. Guests on platform and in the queue were shouting to stop the ride. The ride operators did nothing and told us they "couldn't stop the ride" which my friends and I know well is a total lie. The operators had a huge time window to stop the ride and simply stood there and just watched, not even acting concerned, and let the ride complete the entire cycle. Not surprisingly, the guest came back passed out.

We're in the process of notifying connections we have to corporate. This incident was the most disturbing act of operations ignorance we have ever seen at a park. We simply left the line and headed home is disbelief.

I hate to spoil the media day fun but my friends and I visited the park on Sunday for the first time and witnessed the most disturbing ride operation we have ever seen.

We were in line for Boomerang, our last ride of the day, when a train began to dispatch. We could soon sense some tension by guests on the platform and then, once the vehicle was visible to the queue, we could clearly see a guest having a seizure on the ride. Guests on platform and in the queue were shouting to stop the ride. The ride operators did nothing and told us they "couldn't stop the ride" which my friends and I know well is a total lie. The operators had a huge time window to stop the ride and simply stood there and just watched, not even acting concerned, and let the ride complete the entire cycle. Not surprisingly, the guest came back passed out.

We're in the process of notifying connections we have to corporate. This incident was the most disturbing act of operations ignorance we have ever seen at a park. We simply left the line and headed home is disbelief.

if that's true it's extremely bad and one or more people deserve to be fired and/or or given 50 non stop rides on Kong. Certainly and it does sound plausible given how apathetic ride OP's on the "lesser rides" have been in my visits. I'm sure some idiots have faked stuff after boarding as well so that might play a part in it.

the good news, boomerang is literally right next to first aid. Though first aid is right next to the aligator and tortise pit so if you happen to die in the park. Well, they'll save money on meat... right?

if that's true it's extremely bad and one or more people deserve to be fired and/or or given 50 non stop rides on Kong. Certainly and it does sound plausible given how apathetic ride OP's on the "lesser rides" have been in my visits. I'm sure some idiots have faked stuff after boarding as well so that might play a part in it.

the good news, boomerang is literally right next to first aid. Though first aid is right next to the aligator and tortise pit so if you happen to die in the park. Well, they'll save money on meat... right?

If that report is accurate, that ride op could very well find him or herself in court. Ignoring an apparent medical emergency is not funny at all. To claim that Boomerangs have no emergency stop is ridiculous. You can't always immediately stop the ride instantly, but there's always some kind of E-Stop.

If that report is accurate, that ride op could very well find him or herself in court. Ignoring an apparent medical emergency is not funny at all. To claim that Boomerangs have no emergency stop is ridiculous. You can't always immediately stop the ride instantly, but there's always some kind of E-Stop.

Exactly. It was total ignorance and an inhumane lack of empathy for the guest. We were in shock and just had to stand there and watch it all happen as the coaster completed its cycle. The ride ops then attempted to defend themselves after the cycle by saying "If you have an issue you can speak with management"

Edited by xChris125x

I've operated many coasters and a Boomerang is 1 of them so I'll shed some light on this scenario.

If the operator would've stopped the ride it would've taken longer for medical personnel to reach the guest.

Here's why. The train would've stopped on lift one had the operator initiated the lift stop/emergency stop. The only way to bring the train down is to contact maintenance and have them come out, and that time could vary depending on where they were located in the park. Letting the ride cycle complete is faster than stopping the ride and waiting for maintenance to respond. From a guest's perspective it would seem easier for an operator to stop the ride but that's simply not the case. The operator actually did that guest a favor by letting the cycle complete.

Similar scenario should a fire break out. Everyone's first instinct would be to stop the ride but the problem with that is now you have guests trapped in a fire. Letting the cycle complete, and getting the guests off as you normally would is always the fastest and safest way to go for a coaster. Flat rides usually have a cycle abort/ride stop which will bring the ride to a faster stop. Coasters are a different animal.

I'm not excusing the operators rudeness but I am defending them for following procedure.

I've operated many coasters and a Boomerang is 1 of them so I'll shed some light on this scenario.

If the operator would've stopped the ride it would've taken longer for medical personnel to reach the guest.

Here's why. The train would've stopped on lift one had the operator initiated the lift stop/emergency stop. The only way to bring the train down is to contact maintenance and have them come out, and that time could vary depending on where they were located in the park. Letting the ride cycle complete is faster than stopping the ride and waiting for maintenance to respond. From a guest's perspective it would seem easier for an operator to stop the ride but that's simply not the case. The operator actually did that guest a favor by letting the cycle complete.

Similar scenario should a fire break out. Everyone's first instinct would be to stop the ride but the problem with that is now you have guests trapped in a fire. Letting the cycle complete, and getting the guests off as you normally would is always the fastest and safest way to go for a coaster. Flat rides usually have a cycle abort/ride stop which will bring the ride to a faster stop. Coasters are a different animal.

I'm not excusing the operators rudeness but I am defending them for following procedure.

I completely get the procedural logic as I've operated a coaster myself, but I don't feel a seizure is an evacuation concern. I would think stopping the ride and letting the guest maintain consciousness with an EMT on the catwalk would be the best procedure rather than subjecting them to a rather aggressive ride and ultimately passing out.

Mind you, the train was maybe halfway out of the station when operators were aware of what was happening.

Edited by xChris125x

No one is going to approach, touch, or get into the train when it's being held by only the catch car. That is an extremely unsafe situation. I do understand what you're saying but unfortunately that situation is bad either way you look at it. Letting the cycle complete is the lesser of 2 evils.

OK since we now know the train was halfway in the station due to your post edit, was that guest on a part of the train that was still in station?

The guest was in car 2 or 3. I was not on platform so I cannot pinpoint when the operators would have been aware of what was happening to E-stop the ride, but the fact that the queue was aware something was wrong before we could even see tells me it was known soon after dispatch.

No one is going to approach, touch, or get into the train when it's being held by only the catch car. That is an extremely unsafe situation. I do understand what you're saying but unfortunately that situation is bad either way you look at it. Letting the cycle complete is the lesser of 2 evils.

OK since we now know the train was halfway in the station due to your post edit, was that guest on a part of the train that was still in station?

I have to respectfully disagree in this situation - and I'm not saying that sarcastically, I get what you're saying and agree with it in a lot of situations. Especially with like someone who just screams that they want off, it is certainly safer to let the ride cycle.

In this particular case I believe it would still have been better to hit the e-stop because with a person having a seizure, they don't have any control over their body, and travelling through the Boomerang's cycle with no control can cause serious injury. You could break your neck or easily suffer a concussion. Biting through the tongue, already a concern with seizures, becomes exponentially more likely. Stuck on the lift at least the person next to him could try to help hold him as still as possible.

If he was still on level track then I'm really ticked, they should have immediately hit that lift stop before he went up.

Heading to SFDK tomorrow - is there anything non-roller coaster wise that's a must do? We're planning on spending the entire time in the park, so we're also looking for a good place to eat!

dolphin show drench and maybe the tiger show. Sea lion show is now skippable IMHO and so is the bird show.

also going to the backside of the park to see the animals can be worth it. normally the bald eagle is on it's little perch (it can't fly or just barely can due to a injury, which is why its at the park.) and there's like 1 male lion and 2-3 females. plenty of tigers and a cougar enclosure.

the vet clinic area so far in my last 2-3 vists has only placed their resident skunk inside of the place. For a skunk, it's kinda cute but it's also completely enclosed.

This 100%! I work a roller coaster which has a 3 minute cycle time... and in cases where we have routine evacuations or heaven forbid an emergency, it would take in some cases 20 minutes for the team to "Lock out/Tag out/RAC out" then reach the guests... it may seem "cruel" or uncaring to continue to let the ride complete its cycle, but you HAVE to. It might not seem like it, but its in the best interest of he guest.

And in the case of Boomerang, if the ride cycle began, even if the guest in question was still in the station, if an emergency stop was engaged, the train is not parked in a safe or "good position" to approach or evacuate them which would further complicate the situation. Sounds like the coaster employee followed the correct procedure even if it might not seem like it.

Still, from what he said, it seems that the cast acted like he didn't care. He should have told everyone that he saw it, and that he was handling the situation.

Why, are they required to do that?

Maybe the correct procedure is not to do that possibly freaking out guests in line. What should they do, announce it over the p.a.?

Sometimes the right thing to do does not seem like the polite thing to do. If that's the way they had to or were supposed to handle the situation then good, that means they were doing exactly what they were supposed to do and if it offended someone then too bad, the guest's safety is far more important than somebody getting butt hurt.

I still stand by my thoughts that SF building these was a waste. My local carnival just built a Ring-of-Fire about 5 mins from my house (No joke). SF has done nothing to entice me to visit the park this year. I feel more insulted that they call it a "rollercoaster". My local carnival does not even call their ride a rollercoaster. A big chain like SF id expect better.

I know that not all rides are gonna be big coasters. I also know that it's ok to advertise rides that are not coasters. But for them to try to make this ride seem like a coaster feels cheap.

Visited yesterday for the first time and thought the park was okay. Pretty clean and well run for a Six Flags park.

Hit Superman first, and I knew the ride would be good based off reviews but man this little thing is forecful!! Got two quick rides, the staff absolutely HUSTLES never seen a Six Flags attraction run so effeciently. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the rides in the park.

Next was Roar and probably the 2nd slowest crew in the park. Was about a 20-30 min wait from the entrance. The station had an employees who was probably the foulest smelling person I've ever encountered. I understand working outside etc but it was 1100am!!! No bueno!! Roar was unthrilling, rough and slow!!

V2 was about a 20 min wait, you can tell the ride wasnt designed for the type of harnesses it has. The hangtime was painful!!! Sad they had to reprofile the ride from it's original intent.

Medusa had the longest wait in the park due to them stacking two trains.The ride is okay, much prefer Bizarro at Gradv

Rode the family cobra coaster thingy for the credit, not bad for a family ride I guess.

Passed on the Daredevil ride, the wait looked short though, the GP doesnt seem too interested.

Skipped Kong and their Boomerang due to Vekoma sucking. We also had an hour drive to CGA so we didnt stick around too long.

All in all, it's a decent park for what it is. The park could use a mini-hyper to really put it over the top. However based on their cluttered skyline, I don't see where they'd have room.

Snapped a couple pics for good measure

20150529_132932.thumb.jpg.85b78fdb1577c41f32bf8d0d445df12a.jpg

A shot of Medusa, the park is pretty tidy for a Six Flags park IMO

20150529_115228.thumb.jpg.406371fa992c65ca4aa460c4ce8ebebe.jpg

#nopecoaster

20150529_115239.thumb.jpg.0e6d92e2c48ec9b800bcc546bdef4ba4.jpg

The new girl at school isn't too popular

20150529_114610.thumb.jpg.1fb4119c313787edfc29b5bb2c331ecf.jpg

Cutey patootey, the animal habitats/cages seemed smallish :-(

20150529_105858.thumb.jpg.c22fe34603f83f8a85c1f322e882627d.jpg

Best ride in the park by far

Greetings all, I'll be making my first ever visit to this park on Sunday 6/7. What's the best strategy? Or will I need Flash Pass? I'm assuming I should ride Superman first, due to capacity. Are there any hidden gems in the park?

EDIT: Also, what's traffic like in the Bay Area on Sunday mornings? I'll be heading to the park from Fisherman's Wharf.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings all, I'll be making my first ever visit to this park on Sunday 6/7. What's the best strategy? Or will I need Flash Pass? I'm assuming I should ride Superman first, due to capacity. Are there any hidden gems in the park?

EDIT: Also, what's traffic like in the Bay Area on Sunday mornings? I'll be heading to the park from Fisherman's Wharf.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely go to superman first, as everyone starts at Medusa. Medusa never has a wait in the afternoon. You should ride Roar, as after it has warmed up it has great airtime.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely go to superman first, as everyone starts at Medusa. Medusa never has a wait in the afternoon. You should ride Roar, as after it has warmed up it has great airtime.

yep. Superman first if you get there when the park opens and are there for "rope drop". After that go on roar and V2 if you wish to ride either of those. Then i'd suggest check out any animals you want to see like peguins, the sallow dolphin pool, sealions, walrus, sting rays and sharks. then from there just kinda do what you want? Generally I just work counter-clockwise.

I know I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I thought I would ask everyone's input. How likely do you guys think a RMC I-Box of Roar is for 2016? I ask because I have recently heard a rumor that Roar will be closed mid-season this year. One can hope, right?

Personally, it sounds unlikely to me after SFMM receiving Twisted Colossus for 2015, but the two parks aren't really that close, I'm sure 95% of visitors to each park aren't even aware of the other park. I know it's currently every park's fan-boy dream for their wooden coaster to get I-Box, but I can't help it! It would easily be the best coaster in NorCal if true!

Let the idea sit for now, and maybe in a few months, we will see more information come out.

I know I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I thought I would ask everyone's input. How likely do you guys think a RMC I-Box of Roar is for 2016? I ask because I have recently heard a rumor that Roar will be closed mid-season this year. One can hope, right?

Personally, it sounds unlikely to me after SFMM receiving Twisted Colossus for 2015, but the two parks aren't really that close, I'm sure 95% of visitors to each park aren't even aware of the other park. I know it's currently every park's fan-boy dream for their wooden coaster to get I-Box, but I can't help it! It would easily be the best coaster in NorCal if true!

Let the idea sit for now, and maybe in a few months, we will see more information come out.

While few things would make me happier to have an RMC creation at my home park, I can say with quite a bit of certainty that it won't happen. Roar is relatively new, at least compared to the other Six Flags coasters that have gotten the RMC treatment. SFDK also just re-tracked significant portions of Roar very recently (which, might I add, has done wonders for the ride), so it makes no sense for the park to invest that significant sum of money for a ride that they just recently invested in. If Roar ever does get blessed with RMC's touch, it won't be anytime soon...most certainly not 2016. If I'm wrong, it will be the most glorious way to be wrong.