TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

It seems like a Pipeline Peak rider touched and moved the park's webcam while in line today so now you're too close for comfort with the riders in the Pipeline Peak queue. https://www.kingsdominion.com/online-fun/webcams

1431006356_ScreenShot2015-05-24at6_47_15PM.thumb.png.09e009eb92e3e482e179094fc53480cd.png

On a side note, the Hurricane Heights line has been crazy this weekend, but it seems like crews are sending people as fast as they can which is good to know.

I think you should wait until an announcement is made to criticize harshly. Remember the outcry when Colossus' closure was announced before the RMC makeover was confirmed? Something good will come out of it--I have faith in Cedar Fair to do good things in that growing park down south.

Carowinds already confirmed that it will be closed down for "family friendly attractions". So right away an RMC makeover is right out the window.

Also, Cedar Fair does not work with RMC. Yet.

Yet is the key word. Can you say "New Texas Hurler"?

That would be great! I think that Grizzly and Rebel Yell are too iconic for an RMC treatment, but the generic, painful Hurler would be perfect!

No, not what I meant. Closing down a clasic park icon like Thunder Road or Colossus happens for a reason. People thought closing down Colossus was the worst option possible, but it turned into a huge win for the park. I'm sure Carowinds will be justified in removing this ride, and what is put in its place will be well worth it's removal. All I said was "something good will come out of it," not "OMFG RMC carowindzz is da bomb lol."

Yeah, parks don't just remove rides for no reason. As stated above, Carowinds will justify it somehow. Every park makes up for a ride removal eventually, even if it takes a while.

SFNE removes rides for no reason.

Since when is SFNE a good example of how to manage existing rides?

I was at KD today and queuing to re-ride Drop Tower when I noticed that the KD FUNTVs were playing a POV of GateKeeper. I watched the TVs carefully for the rest of the day, and this was the only POV that I saw. Is this typical of KD's FUNTV service or a subtle hint for 2016?

Fun fact (no pun intended): The name "FUNTV", which is the name of all audiovisual queue entertainment services across all Cedar Fair parks, is a reference to Cedar Fair's NYSE ticker, FUN.

do the KD coasters accommodate guests of a larger size?

I know that the Cedar Fair parks typically have some big=boy seats.

I'm about the same as I was last year for our Penn. trip, and I had no trouble there, but just trying to plan ahead for any disappointment

I'm about the same as I was last year for our Penn. trip, and I had no trouble there, but just trying to plan ahead for any disappointment

Dominator does in the middle two rows, but none of the other coasters or rides (as far as I know) have designated seats for guests of a larger size.

I think the hypercoaster on KD's front page is legit. No other Cedar Fair park is putting an coaster that they don't currently have on their front page.

Worlds of Fun did it. Plus, Kings Dominion doesn't have Millennium Force (look in the background). I discovered the picture, and I'm helping to debunk it - the only place where KD might put a hypercoaster is as a Hurler replacement, and that just got retracked within 2 weeks and new trains at the beginning of the season. Look for something in 2017. The only parks that we know are getting something are Cedar Point (the email-known as Divegate to the KD faithful), Canada's Wonderland (land clearing+survey markings), and Carowinds ("big splash in 2016", Thunder Road closing). There are no leaked plans, trademarks, survey markings, or a hint during a press conference to indicate that 2016 is KD's year. Expect the Shockwave removed with a thrilling flat ride to replace part of its land for 2016 while the land around it gets prepared for a huge B&M in 2017.

I think the hypercoaster on KD's front page is legit. No other Cedar Fair park is putting an coaster that they don't currently have on their front page.

Worlds of Fun did it. Plus, Kings Dominion doesn't have Millennium Force (look in the background). I discovered the picture, and I'm helping to debunk it - the only place where KD might put a hypercoaster is as a Hurler replacement, and that just got retracked within 2 weeks and new trains at the beginning of the season. Look for something in 2017. The only parks that we know are getting something are Cedar Point (the email-known as Divegate to the KD faithful), Canada's Wonderland (land clearing+survey markings), and Carowinds ("big splash in 2016", Thunder Road closing). There are no leaked plans, trademarks, survey markings, or a hint during a press conference to indicate that 2016 is KD's year. Expect the Shockwave removed with a thrilling flat ride to replace part of its land for 2016 while the land around it gets prepared for a huge B&M in 2017.

I don't see Millennium force anywhere in that image. Also, Worlds of Fun has all of their rides. I think KD will indeed get a coaster in 2016. Cedar Fair goes through a cycle when it comes to their bigger parks, and KD is next in line.

I doubt CW is getting a coaster next year.

1. I don't see Millennium Force anywhere in that image.

2. Also, all of Worlds of Fun's major rides are depicted.

3. I think that KD will receive a coaster in 2016.

4. Cedar Fair goes through a cycle when it comes to their bigger parks, and KD is next in line.

1. Capturemilleniumforce.thumb.JPG.b28662a1eef54ec43ff5189ad03dc8e9.JPG

2. Worlds of Fun doesn't have a B&M hyper or gigacoaster. Capture478.JPG.5f5fe87d4e42c87582e586a9c418db1c.JPG

3. With Cedar Point receiving an uber-expensive B&M dive coaster in 2016, you can forget any coaster above the size and price tag of a Triotech hitting Kings Dominion in 2016.

4. Cedar Fair rejected Kings Dominion when the park was due for a coaster in 2014, and again in 2015. It seems like they want to milk Intimidator 305 and clever marketing ploys as long as possible.

If you want to solve the 2016/2017 Cedar Fair mysteries, the last thing you should be doing is trusting Cedar Fair's clueless graphic designers.

Like Intimidator 305, Windseeker, and Soak City the best bet is to wait for the building permits to be filed with Hanover County.

4. Cedar Fair goes through a cycle when it comes to their bigger parks, and KD is next in line.

1. [attachment=0]Capturemilleniumforce.JPG[/attachment]

2. Worlds of Fun doesn't have a B&M hyper or gigacoaster. [attachment=1]Capture478.JPG[/attachment]

3. With Cedar Point receiving an uber-expensive B&M dive coaster in 2016, you can forget any coaster above the size and price tag of a Triotech hitting Kings Dominion in 2016.

4. Cedar Fair rejected Kings Dominion when the park was due for a coaster in 2014, and again in 2015. It seems like they want to milk Intimidator 305 and clever marketing ploys as long as possible.

1) That's a purple line.... How do you even call that a coaster. Even if it is something its random filler.

2) It's an artist rendering, no ones going to care really. This mindless speculation is getting pathetic.

3) 15 Mil is rumored for that. That's dirt cheap for a CP ride, and still in an SF price range.

4) KD is due for a coaster but it won't happen. They're focusing on other more important things and a coaster isn't necessary. It's not neglected either, CP went through this same kind of coaster drought and its a flagship park.

The last 2 rows of Volcano are a little more forgiving for some reason. I-305 is pretty roomy, so you shouldn't have to worry. Someone else already mentioned the big boy seats on Dominator. I think you'll be fine.

1. [attachment=0]Capturemilleniumforce.JPG[/attachment]

2. Worlds of Fun doesn't have a B&M hyper or gigacoaster. [attachment=1]Capture478.JPG[/attachment]

It's not definite that Cedar Point is getting a dive coaster this year. Cedar Fair loves to fool us sometimes. They could be getting a TrioTech for all we know. Remember KI's 2014 Giga Coaster? Anyways, Kings Dominion will be getting something big for 2016. There's no way one of CF's major parks is going to be abandoned.

The last 2 rows of Volcano are a little more forgiving for some reason. I-305 is pretty roomy, so you shouldn't have to worry. Someone else already mentioned the big boy seats on Dominator. I think you'll be fine.

The back row of Volcano has been closed permanently in an effort to limit rollback by compensating for aging magnets.