Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby jray21 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 am

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Went to the park today from 11-3, it was busier than I expected due to some band/choir thing going on, I saw some pins that said "Music in the Parks" so I assume that's what it was? Anyway, there were a lot of middle-school aged children roaming around in clever music t-shirts.

It looks like Dare Devil is all put up now! Also saw some other areas around the park under construction.

Here are my photos. I apologize in advance guys, I was being dumb and took all my photos the dumb way.

Nice report! I'm also sad that the elephants are no more. They were my favorite animals in the whole park!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Thu May 21, 2015 2:47 pm

moviemansig wrote:Would Sun. 6/14 be the better day then even with the Discover event? Also, when should Monsoon Falls reopen? Thanks.

Isn't the discovery ERT after the park "closes". As for moonsoon falls it was running for at least part of the day when I was there last but that was about 2 weeks ago. All the water rides have been opened and active for over a month now.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby moviemansig » Fri May 22, 2015 6:12 pm

You’re correct it is after the park closes. I had just been curious if that would have an effect on more people coming to the park.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Sat May 23, 2015 1:46 am

moviemansig wrote:You’re correct it is after the park closes. I had just been curious if that would have an effect on more people coming to the park.

it might. also it does say people who present a season pass can get a wristband for the event too, "A valid discover card or a season pass".

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

"Dare Devil" media day - SFDK

Postby sam_e » Sat May 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Welcome to the media day preview of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's new attraction, Dare Devil Chaos Coaster. Although Dare Devil isn't pushing attraction innovation further as many of the new coasters at Six Flags parks across the nation are, it provides excitement for many Bay Area locals to experience something new. Placed in the Oasis Plaza with heavy hitters such as Medusa, Kong, and Sky Screamer, Dare Devil will do a great job at dispersing crowds from this high traffic midway. Here is my review from the media day that took place on Friday, May 22nd.

The giant loop standing tall.
1.jpg

The event started out with some brief speeches from the parks marketing directors. The Dare Devil himself even made an appearance!
2.jpg

3.jpg

After the speeches took place, we were invited to go up on stage for a head shave to support the children battling cancer at the St. Baldrick foundation. Many Six Flags directors gave their support and are now rockin' freshly shaved hair-doos.
4.jpg

Here are the first riders lined up and ready.
5.jpg

These two were seriously psyched!
6.jpg

Off they are sent into the circle of chaos on the first ride of the event.
7.jpg

After a few chaotic laps around the loop, you are left at the rides highest point to hang upside down for what seems like an eternity.
8.jpg

After the hanging pause, Dare Devil picks up speed again for a few more forceful loop laps. The ride's intensity was a shock, especially from how tame it looked when watching from below.
9.jpg

10.jpg

These two gave Dare Devil the thumbs of approval!
11.jpg

dare devil's wanted.
12.jpg

Future dare devil's will line up here. Although there is not much of a theme incorporated in the queue, riders will enjoy up close and personal views of the ride as they wait for their turn.
13.jpg

Media event attendees were given some Dare Devil swag including beanies, t-shirts, and comic books.
15.jpg

We were surprised with the awesome lunch spread that Six Flags provided. Turkey wraps, hummus, great breads, cheeses and more. Much needed to neutralize a twisted stomach after a few rides on Dare Devil.
16.jpg

Sweet tooth anyone?
17.jpg

Over all, it is exciting to see Six Flags Discovery Kingdom making improvements. Although it is not a record breaking coaster, Dare Devil generates hype and excitement, making it a win for the park in my opinion. Seeing the excitement level from the general public who were gazing in awe at Dare Devil from behind the ropes proves that this installation was well worth it for the park.
18.jpg

My friend Paul and his new favorite hat! Thanks for reading.
- Sammy Spiteri
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue May 26, 2015 7:57 pm.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Sat May 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Great TR. I'm surprised how well Dare Devil fits into that area, even if the queue seems a bit small and unshaded. But it looks like fun and should be worth a ride or two in the future!
Hm, I see...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:17 am

Nice report! I think it'll be a good addition to the park. Yes, it's a ride you can find all over and it's nothing exciting, but it's another ride for people to go on while in that plaza.

I'll have red wine with my slice of donkey.

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Andrewoplis wrote:Great TR. I'm surprised how well Dare Devil fits into that area, even if the queue seems a bit small and unshaded. But it looks like fun and should be worth a ride or two in the future!

Yep, and it's definitely a spot that wouldn't fit anything else. It's very impressive how small the footprint is.
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby xChris125x » Tue May 26, 2015 1:26 pm

I hate to spoil the media day fun but my friends and I visited the park on Sunday for the first time and witnessed the most disturbing ride operation we have ever seen.

We were in line for Boomerang, our last ride of the day, when a train began to dispatch. We could soon sense some tension by guests on the platform and then, once the vehicle was visible to the queue, we could clearly see a guest having a seizure on the ride. Guests on platform and in the queue were shouting to stop the ride. The ride operators did nothing and told us they "couldn't stop the ride" which my friends and I know well is a total lie. The operators had a huge time window to stop the ride and simply stood there and just watched, not even acting concerned, and let the ride complete the entire cycle. Not surprisingly, the guest came back passed out.

We're in the process of notifying connections we have to corporate. This incident was the most disturbing act of operations ignorance we have ever seen at a park. We simply left the line and headed home is disbelief.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue May 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Here is some media day Dare Devil Chaos Coaster video for you!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!