TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^I would take I305 over Fury and Volcano over Banshee. Pretty much anything from B&M would be a step down from what they already have. To me a wing coaster would not add anything to their current lineup, I don't really go by the "want a new ride just for the sake of being new" mentality.

Note that I'm saying this because to me KD already has a spectacularly solid line up. They can afford to wait until CF hops on the RMC train. If it's Dorney we're talking about, sure, bring on the wing coasters.

And yet, have you ridden them? I've ridden both I305 and F325 (KD is my home park) and I would rather ride Fury over Intimidator. Just my opinion though. Fury had a much more cohesive, thoughtful, and complete ride experience in my opinion, and that first drop was absolutely amazing.

I too would take Intimidator 305 over Fury and Volcano over Banshee any day. I believe Banshee and Fury show signs that B&M is attempting to bring back that Kumba/Montu kick to their rides, but they aren't top 5 material for me.

With that said, I would greatly appreciate one more B&M at Kings Dominion that compliments Dominator nicely. A smooth, not-so-intense B&M would be a perfect addition for the park as their first coaster since Intimidator 305 (especially if replacing a ride like Shockwave). Trust me, I'd prefer an Intamin, BUT I believe a B&M would be better for the park and to round out the park's line-up so for the well being of the park, I hope the next ride is a B&M.

If we can hold off speculating about what we hope Kings Dominion might be getting in the future, let's take a look at what they got this year.

Soak City Media Day

I'm sure many of you have taken advantage of Water Works, KD's water park, which is part of regular park admission. Well, you can't go to "Water Works" anymore--because it's been rebranded as Soak City, complete with a new play area, slide-tower complex, cabanas, and food offerings.

Here's a set of "Fun Facts" the park provided:

Soak City is Kings Dominion’s all-inclusive waterpark featuring 20-acres of wet and wild fun for the entire family. Admission to Soak City is included in the regular park admission ticket or with a Season Pass – two parks for the price of one!

NEW - Hurricane Heights is a mega-slide tower standing 65 feet tall and housing 6 total slides including the following:

Paradise Plunge: thrill-seekers will step into one of three chambers and wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them in a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of loops and s-curves in a translucent flume

Aqua Blast: riders are sent twisting and spiraling through an enclosed chute featuring four intense 360-degree loops across 449 feet of slide before they’re dropped out into a pool of water

Thunder Falls: a wet and wild adventure awaits guests as they climb onto a raft before being launched down a series of intense drops and turns

NEW - Splash Island is a splash pad geared towards younger guests and their families. Little ones can let their imaginations run wild as they get soaked underneath large cascading flowers, take a trip down a slide, or pump and direct water that shoots out from one of the many splash pad creatures.

NEW – Beach Party Cabana is a deluxe VIP party cabana featuring Wi-Fi, television, personal wait staff, and plush lounge chairs.

NEW – Oasis Marketplace sits adjacent to Splash Island and offers a variety of healthy snacks and beverages.

NEW – Fonda’s Fiesta features a menu designed by our Executive Chef serving up fish tacos, southwest chicken wraps, churro cupcakes, and more.

NEW – Surfer Joe’s features a menu inspired by our Executive Chef serving up a variety of po’ boy subs, nachos, and more.

And how was Hurricane Heights, the park's new tower complex from Whitewater? The Paradise Plunge was quite intense and disorienting and knocked me for quite a loop! Maybe I'm getting old, but I preferred the tamer tube slides. My favorite was the Thunder Falls slide with the double-down drop. I was catapulted off my tube as soon as I hit the pool, which was pretty refreshing. Hurricane Heights is located on the other side of Rebel Yell, near Tidal Wave Bay.

The new cabana set-up is nice, and we enjoyed the lunch they provided that day, which included coconut shrimp, "Aqua Blast Burgers" (BBQed sliders with a slice of pineapple on top), tasty fried potatoes, and pina colada cupcakes. The potatoes and cupcakes will also be part of Soak City's regular food offerings, but I don't know about the shrimp or the little burgers. It was all pretty good--a step above KD's usual fare.

Here's a look at what to expect at Soak City.

001.jpg.97db1018bd40fdc947fc9cb9b0acb967.jpg

Goodbye Water Works. Hello Soak City!

002.jpg.414731d4b9e76b6dcf61ea2b621ca60a.jpg

Snoopy and Charlie Brown are very excited.

003.jpg.c343360b4d733bcbd8f6a83335c644c7.jpg

Snoopy is ready to go sliding now!

004.jpg.feda8dd726ee327f9a69ba8c51073920.jpg

But I guess Charlie Brown just prefers baseball.

005.jpg.a8d8a5a8ee04a0613c60347ce436415b.jpg

There was a brief ceremony, which included some remarks from the park's general manager and VP, Pat George: "We’re excited to finally open the gates of Soak City for our guests to enjoy all the improvements made over the past several months. We are dedicated to providing the best summer experience for families to create memories that will last a lifetime.”

006.jpg.ec1db6163546ebb0ea561357aae41a6d.jpg

Looks like Soak City bought some advertising space from Backlot Stunt Coaster.

007.jpg.f2f23c1d3522c03ee1ab18bef6bbb0b4.jpg

Need to cool off? Here's a nice spot.

008.jpg.1edafda25479b3cbe8023fd82d161d6b.jpg

Hmm--I guess there's a good reason for calling it "Splash Island." The park's lazy river circles the new play area.

009.jpg.6100e3bd51b32ef80f274bda94962d37.jpg

Hurricane Heights offers six ways for you to get wet. You have to walk under Rebel Yell (and cry "more, more, more") to get there.

010.jpg.982d23365b7af08af251d358b41564d4.jpg

Sign photo for Larry.

011.jpg.fa81c49577c56bad623261a4fce4421d.jpg

Here's a closer look at the complex. It does offer fun for the whole family (provided they're at least 48" tall). The tube slides are fun for anyone, and the trapdoor slides at the top offer a bigger, more intense thrill. By the way, the two blue tube slides are Thunder Falls, while Aqua Blast is the purple one. These slides also have some lighting effects inside--a nice touch.

012.jpg.52e94abd5218778d75e05838e4387cb3.jpg

Looks like the lifeguard is grooving to the sounds of . . .

012a.jpg.11a2e78f2f5f516d33344df6599dedc8.jpg

. . . the Beach Bumz.

013.jpg.275a050adfc04aa5af502bb26ead4711.jpg

Let's see . . . they drop the floor out from under you there . . .

014.jpg.89ebcddc31f990357bdf0d6f6cd405d4.jpg

. . . and you end up here . . .

015.jpg.69c77030551d9a38c32078fc70601637.jpg

. . . courtesy of this company.

016.jpg.cfcfb4732a0d7e9bd2bf045e423616bf.jpg

You displace a fair amount of water when you hit the bottom.

017.jpg.be847cf53adb58b3449d983f938a488d.jpg

Tidal wave!

017a.jpg.27c4d37308750fdbf604007b5b6eea82.jpg

Oh, there is a person in there somewhere.

018.thumb.jpg.0909760b3fbbbd547e2455c1c515ce9d.jpg

This tube slide with the double down was my favorite (the one next to it was fun, too).

019.jpg.4cbc3713064ee654019f05ee1652b1cd.jpg

Shall we have some lunch in our cabana?

019a.thumb.jpg.c4b0c28f1cfac4983c23c8c03ab7ae0f.jpg

Here's some of the spread. I liked the ginger beer, and the cupcakes had mandarin-orange slices in the middle (very nice).

020.jpg.6c916446351ba21ddf2ef24405e72223.jpg

Here are some of the cabanas. They surround the Tidal Wave Bay wave pool.

021.jpg.f83547f1646cbadcc3398718cc71f1f1.jpg

You can get some nice views of Intimidator 305 from Tidal Wave Bay and Hurricane Heights.

022.jpg.2a0a662f00994b30ffcda7a22351a280.jpg

But beware of Anacondas attacking from the trees!

023.jpg.982fc232533a40b8b4497979412857e6.jpg

One last look at someone getting very wet on Thunder Falls.

024.jpg.b4f46955a7d2bd9fadf961b36f35257b.jpg

And here's a look at the Eiffel Tower being very patriotic for Memorial Day Weekend. Thanks for reading.

This was a much needed addition and the last area that needed a general spruce up since Cedar Fair took over. I was there two weeks ago and peeked inside Soak City and by looking at these photos at the finished product it was a job well done by the park. WaterWorks felt dated in some parts and now the water park is brightly colored and looking fresh with a new name. I'm also happy that they have dealt with the congestion on the north side of the water park and installed the new pathway. Congrats to KD and Cedar Fair on a job well done.

Thanks as always Chuck for the great photo TR!

Thank you for posting that picture of I305's crest in the side view. I've never seen a picture of it so perfect,so I've had a hard time recreating it in N2!

They did just recreate it for us in the last update you know!

Thanks for the Soak City update. I have never really been to the water park part of Kings Dominion. I am not really a water park guy so unless the water park is in my way I never really see it but it looks nice. Great pictures...

On a side note if we can't speculate about the future of Kings Dominion on Theme Park Review then where do we go! I know you were joking btw and so am I.

Why is there so much B&M hate going on on the board recently. They make RELIABLE, high capacity, thrilling coasters. What all that being said I love a good twisty **In my Rob voice** Intamin coaster. I look at them as equals both with their strenghens and weaknesses. I think it is all but confirmed that KD is getting a Winged Coaster and B&M is the only one doing them well so.... deal with it people.

^No way man, B&M sucks Intamin RULEZZZ!!!!! If its not a TOP 5 OMFG ROLLER COASTER WITH SICK EJECTOR AIR then dont even bother, I will not only not ride it, I will AVOID LOOKING AT IT AT ALL COSTS and then I will TRASH IT AS MUCH AS I CAN without even riding it. I will cancel my Cedar Fair Passport if they put in another B&M snoozefest!!!!!! I pay to ride roller coasters, not take napzzz!!!!! Also, since EVERY RIDE I EVEN BOTHER WITH has to be a Top 5 ride, my Top 5 is about 20 roller coasters long but that just shows my dedication to counting credits and spending WAY too much time ranking them!!!

All hail Intamin!!!! I havent even heard the announcement for KD's new coaster but I can already tell it's just another forceless B&M, YAWN, lemme go do it with a SICK PIC of a naked Intamin

Thanks for the Soak City update. I have never really been to the water park part of Kings Dominion. I am not really a water park guy so unless the water park is in my way I never really see it but it looks nice. Great pictures...

On a side note if we can't speculate about the future of Kings Dominion on Theme Park Review then where do we go! I know you were joking btw and so am I.

Why is there so much B&M hate going on on the board recently. They make RELIABLE, high capacity, thrilling coasters. What all that being said I love a good twisty **In my Rob voice** Intamin coaster. I look at them as equals both with their strenghens and weaknesses. I think it is all but confirmed that KD is getting a Winged Coaster and B&M is the only one doing them well so.... deal with it people.

And it's not like B&M has never made intense coasters; just ride Fury 325.

With all that said, I believe we are getting a B&M hyper next year. The KD homage shows a coaster that the park currently does not have; a hyper. No other Cedar Fair website does this. I actually think that the VALRAVN name could actually be for this hype and not for Cedar Point like some believe, because CF usually does a cycle when it comes to their major parks getting a new coaster.

The new water park addition looks fantastic. I loved the same slide complex at Dorney last year and it was a big hit among guests. I prefer the trap door slides that have one long drop, but the aqua loop ones were almost as good with their intensity and direction changes. Unfortunately, due to time I missed the Thunder Falls equivalent, but those drops looked really thrilling. I wasn't impressed with the Aqua Blast equivalent. I just didn't get the constrictor slide, but maybe that's just me. Off ride it looks cool, but during the ride you don't really notice the tighter turn due to the slow speeds.

Thanks for the report, Chuck...the water park upgrade was much needed - it looks a lot nicer now.

I agree about not being a fan of the speed slides. As I age, I am just not a fan of getting tons of water up my nose or a massive wedgie from all of the speed. Put me in a tube or raft anytime though!

The new water park addition looks fantastic. I loved the same slide complex at Dorney last year and it was a big hit among guests. I prefer the trap door slides that have one long drop, but the aqua loop ones were almost as good with their intensity and direction changes. Unfortunately, due to time I missed the Thunder Falls equivalent, but those drops looked really thrilling. I wasn't impressed with the Aqua Blast equivalent. I just didn't get the constrictor slide, but maybe that's just me. Off ride it looks cool, but during the ride you don't really notice the tighter turn due to the slow speeds.

Aqua Blast is the longest of the three tube sildes, and it "meanders" a bit--which is why it would be perfect for skittish kids. There were two little girls who kept dithering about riding Paradise Plunge and kept me from riding for about 10 minutes (when one of them took the drop, while the other bowed out).

The main issue I have with this is Cedar Fair has invested in one major B&M each of the last four years, and only five new coasters since 2011 (the last being Gold Striker). I don't see the them suddenly jumping from one coaster a year to three, two times in a row. In my mind...

2016: Cedar Point B&M coaster, other additional coaster (Canada's Wonderland/Mich. Adv. more likely, or VF/KD, less likely)

2017: Canada's Wonderland coaster (if not in 2016), other additional coaster (Kings Dominion/Valleyfair).

That is also my concern since many people seem to want their home Cedar Fair park to get a B&M in 2016. If the trend of one B&M per year continues, next year's coaster is most likely going to Cedar Point. It would be nice if they could get two B&Ms per year, but those coasters can be quite expensive even if it is a smaller model.

I personally think Kings Dominion could use a GCI/RMC wooden coaster because KD has several wooden coasters, but none of them look like real standouts.

I just got home from Kings Dominion's new Soak City. Although I knew that the lines would be insane due to the holiday weekend, my Platinum Pass grants me the ability to get a fifteen-minute head start over the day ticket scrubs, and I couldn't wait to ride the Hurricane Heights complex slides after reading cfc's awesome Passholder Preview Day TR. Since I arrived at around 11:35, I strolled through the security gate and right up to the Hurricane Heights complex to wait for the 11:45 passholder opening. The waterpark looks FANTASTIC for 2015. I'll run through the pros and cons of the waterpark renovations quickly before talking about the new slides:

+HURRICANE HEIGHTS SLIDE COMPLEX. This brings Soak City one huge step closer to Water Country USA.

+Fresh coat of paint for almost everything; Soak City looks brand new

+New kiddie complexes

+New food and souvenir locations, such as a second full-service Rita's, a third Coca-Cola Marketplace, a Kona Ice, a Boardwalk Fries, and some park restaurants with Meal Deals available

+New cabanas available in Tidal Wave Bay wave pool for rent

+New inner tubes for every ride

+More restrooms

+Another First Aid location

+10% Passholder discount now available at every food location, even franchises like Rita's (stands, trailers, and trucks excluded)

+Waterpark still included with admission (here's looking at you, BGW and WCUSA)

-Waterpark Chick-fil-A removed

-Shoot the Curl slide complex removed

-Lockerz cost more than in previous years

-Lazy River now has two exits, and you must exit on the side that doesn't say "Exit". What?!?

Now that the pros and cons are covered, I can get on to the big attraction, Hurricane Heights. This insane complex consists of six unique slides over two platforms. On the taller platform, there are three trapdoor-style body slides (Paradise Plunge), which are red, orange, and yellow. When you enter, you are instructed to put your head back and to cross your ankles and arms. Once the glass door closes, a soft female voice delivers a menacing countdown: 3, 2, 1, goodbye (No Drop Tower: Scream Zone operator tricks here, folks). The initial short drop on Paradise Plunge induces more adrenaline than anything else at KD. If you chose the orange or yellow slides, you then make a sharp turn left and twist through multiple helices, splashing down with blistering speed to finish the ride. If you chose the red slide, you make a sharp turn right, then left, then one helix, which is followed by a slow descent into the splashdown, definitely reducing the intensity of the ride. If you're new to trapdoor slides, I'd recommend the red slide, since it's a little slower. The body slides were fast and smooth; my only concern was that the yellow slide broke down after about ten minutes of operation (yikes, Windseeker deja vu?), although it was up and running again in about thirty minutes. Now, on to the lower platform: Thunder Falls and Aqua Blast, three very different tube slides. Strangely, these slides were originally planned to feature double tubes as well, as it's still listed as so on the KD website, but this was scrapped and only standard inner tubes are available. The light blue body slide, on the far left of the platform, is one half of Thunder Falls. This slide consists of a three-quarters helix, featuring a neon-lit portion, followed by the most insane drop that I've ever experienced on a tube slide, into a pool. As a matter of fact, you will often flip head over heels due to your momentum from the drop into the shallow pool, so heed my advice and brace yourself. The darker blue slide, which neighbors the light blue slide on the platform, is the other half of Thunder Falls. This slide starts out with the same three-quarters helix and with the neon lights like its brother, but is unique in that it features a double drop. It's not as intense as the lighter blue side, but it's still freakin' crazy. The third slide, which is purple on the platform but switches between purple and orange during the ride, is located on the far right of the platform and is known as Aqua Blast. Unlike Thunder Falls, Aqua Blast is pitch-black for most of the ride, with fast turns that will leave you breathless. However, if it doesn't have a drop, what's its gimmick? The 360-degree quick turnarounds. This slide features not one, not two, not three, but FOUR turnaround enclosed "bowl" elements, during which your tube will seemingly defy gravity and wall ride, creating an insane experience that rivals any waterslide. All in all, these slides are unique, fun, intense, smooth, and probably worth Cedar Fair's multi-million dollar investment in them, although time will tell if these slides will prove reliable or not.

My rating: If you're visiting Kings Dominion in 2015, make sure to pack a swimsuit so that you can plunge into paradise.

I just got home from Kings Dominion's new Soak City. Although I knew that the lines would be insane due to the holiday weekend, my Platinum Pass grants me the ability to get a fifteen-minute head start over the day ticket scrubs, and I couldn't wait to ride the Hurricane Heights complex slides after reading cfc's awesome Passholder Preview Day TR. Since I arrived at around 11:35, I strolled through the security gate and right up to the Hurricane Heights complex to wait for the 11:45 passholder opening. The waterpark looks FANTASTIC for 2015. I'll run through the pros and cons of the waterpark renovations quickly before talking about the new slides:

+HURRICANE HEIGHTS SLIDE COMPLEX. This brings Soak City one huge step closer to Water Country USA.

+Fresh coat of paint for almost everything; Soak City looks brand new

+New kiddie complexes

+New food and souvenir locations, such as a second full-service Rita's, a third Coca-Cola Marketplace, a Kona Ice, a Boardwalk Fries, and some park restaurants with Meal Deals available

+New cabanas available in Tidal Wave Bay wave pool for rent

+New inner tubes for every ride

+More restrooms

+Another First Aid location

+10% Passholder discount now available at every food location, even franchises like Rita's (stands, trailers, and trucks excluded)

+Waterpark still included with admission (here's looking at you, BGW and WCUSA)

-Waterpark Chick-fil-A removed

-Shoot the Curl slide complex removed

-Lockerz cost more than in previous years

-Lazy River now has two exits, and you must exit on the side that doesn't say "Exit". What?!?

Now that the pros and cons are covered, I can get on to the big attraction, Hurricane Heights. This insane complex consists of six unique slides over two platforms. On the taller platform, there are three trapdoor-style body slides (Paradise Plunge), which are red, orange, and yellow. When you enter, you are instructed to put your head back and to cross your ankles and arms. Once the glass door closes, a soft female voice delivers a menacing countdown: 3, 2, 1, goodbye (No Drop Tower: Scream Zone operator tricks here, folks). The initial short drop on Paradise Plunge induces more adrenaline than anything else at KD. If you chose the orange or yellow slides, you then make a sharp turn left and twist through multiple helices, splashing down with blistering speed to finish the ride. If you chose the red slide, you make a sharp turn right, then left, then one helix, which is followed by a slow descent into the splashdown, definitely reducing the intensity of the ride. If you're new to trapdoor slides, I'd recommend the red slide, since it's a little slower. The body slides were fast and smooth; my only concern was that the yellow slide broke down after about ten minutes of operation (yikes, Windseeker deja vu?), although it was up and running again in about thirty minutes. Now, on to the lower platform: Thunder Falls and Aqua Blast, three very different tube slides. Strangely, these slides were originally planned to feature double tubes as well, as it's still listed as so on the KD website, but this was scrapped and only standard inner tubes are available. The light blue body slide, on the far left of the platform, is one half of Thunder Falls. This slide consists of a three-quarters helix, featuring a neon-lit portion, followed by the most insane drop that I've ever experienced on a tube slide, into a pool. As a matter of fact, you will often flip head over heels due to your momentum from the drop into the shallow pool, so heed my advice and brace yourself. The darker blue slide, which neighbors the light blue slide on the platform, is the other half of Thunder Falls. This slide starts out with the same three-quarters helix and with the neon lights like its brother, but is unique in that it features a double drop. It's not as intense as the lighter blue side, but it's still freakin' crazy. The third slide, which is purple on the platform but switches between purple and orange during the ride, is located on the far right of the platform and is known as Aqua Blast. Unlike Thunder Falls, Aqua Blast is pitch-black for most of the ride, with fast turns that will leave you breathless. However, if it doesn't have a drop, what's its gimmick? The 360-degree quick turnarounds. This slide features not one, not two, not three, but FOUR turnaround enclosed "bowl" elements, during which your tube will seemingly defy gravity and wall ride, creating an insane experience that rivals any waterslide. All in all, these slides are unique, fun, intense, smooth, and probably worth Cedar Fair's multi-million dollar investment in them, although time will tell if these slides will prove reliable or not.

My rating: If you're visiting Kings Dominion in 2015, make sure to pack a swimsuit so that you can plunge into paradise.

And the great thing is that they didn't have to remove an iconic roller coaster to do all this. I wonder if that park down south is listening.

I think you should wait until an announcement is made to criticize harshly. Remember the outcry when Colossus' closure was announced before the RMC makeover was confirmed? Something good will come out of it--I have faith in Cedar Fair to do good things in that growing park down south.

I think you should wait until an announcement is made to criticize harshly. Remember the outcry when Colossus' closure was announced before the RMC makeover was confirmed? Something good will come out of it--I have faith in Cedar Fair to do good things in that growing park down south.

Carowinds already confirmed that it will be closed down for "family friendly attractions". So right away an RMC makeover is right out the window.

Also, Cedar Fair does not work with RMC. Yet.

Carowinds already confirmed that it will be closed down for "family friendly attractions". So right away an RMC makeover is right out the window.

Yet is the key word. Can you say "New Texas Hurler"?

Yet is the key word. Can you say "New Texas Hurler"?

That would be great! I think that Grizzly and Rebel Yell are too iconic for an RMC treatment, but the generic, painful Hurler would be perfect!