TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I would also expect them to revitalize it as some new or bigger animal enclosure, I just have no idea what. Or, they'll just leave it empty like they do with the 4D theater

There's a little stage there so maybe they'll do some kind of show in there?

If there is anyone who would like to be considered to cover Six Flags Discovery Kingdom media day for TPR on May 22nd please send an email to robbalvey@themeparkreview.com with the following information:

- Full Name

- TPR Screen Name

- Are you a Club TPR Member? (You don't have to be, but please let us know)

- Age/Sex/Location

- Phone number

- Photo of yourself

- Links to your social media pages (facebook, twitter, instagram, etc)

- Please put SFDK Media Day in the email subject

Note that this is NOT an open invitation to attend the media day. You must email us to be considered. We are only looking for a couple of people to attend.

Looking for someone who can report on the media day, send us pictures, do a trip report, video and possibly an enthusiastic rider cam.

Please email me ASAP!

Oh, that's cool that they'll have ERT when I visit, I guess. I mean, yay and all, but it's a friggin' super loop.

maybe if they only used lapbars then I would see a difference between it and hammerhead, but I don't see how it's going to be a unique ride experience at the park since both are the same thing IMHO. However Tsunami Soaker looked stupid to me but that thing's been plenty fun.

I think he meant Hammerhead. It's over by the food court. It is dumb that we're getting what's basically going to be the same ride experience, but I would rather get a new ride than nothing.

yeah, you're likely right.

Frankly I would of rather them save whatever money they used to buy this ride and the money used to power and maintain it to go into faster constuction of the area's getting upgraded. Though, the sea lion show is worse now theme and story wise I forgot if they even addressed the drought in it but the trainers didn't seem that into it. Plus what happens when fright fest rolls around? will they even rework it for halloween? It being Six Flags and all, I somehow doubt it.

hopefully 2016 sees a dark ride, reopening of the 4D action theater or the park introducing bears.

If there is anyone who would like to be considered to cover Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's Daredevil Chaos Coaster media day for TPR on May 22nd please send an email to robbalvey@themeparkreview.com with the following information:

- Full Name

- TPR Screen Name

- Are you a Club TPR Member? (You don't have to be, but please let us know)

- Age/Sex/Location

- Phone number

- Photo of yourself

- Links to your social media pages (facebook, twitter, instagram, etc)

- Please put SFDK Media Day in the email subject

Note that this is NOT an open invitation to attend the media day. You must email us to be considered. We are only looking for a couple of people to attend.

Looking for someone who can report on the media day, send us pictures, do a trip report, video and possibly an enthusiastic rider cam.

Please email me ASAP!

Edited by robbalvey

^I wish I could! I don't have a good enough camera and I'm going to be in Tampa by then!

I think he meant Hammerhead. It's over by the food court. It is dumb that we're getting what's basically going to be the same ride experience, but I would rather get a new ride than nothing.

Frankly I would of rather them save whatever money they used to buy this ride and the money used to power and maintain it to go into faster constuction of the area's getting upgraded. Though, the sea lion show is worse now theme and story wise I forgot if they even addressed the drought in it but the trainers didn't seem that into it. Plus what happens when fright fest rolls around? will they even rework it for halloween? It being Six Flags and all, I somehow doubt it.

hopefully 2016 sees a dark ride, reopening of the 4D action theater or the park introducing bears.

They usually do a different show for Fright Fest, though I can't remember exactly what it was.

I'm definitely going to be eagerly awaiting the 2016 announcement, hopefully it'll be something more exciting.

Side note: are they still doing Cirque Dreams? I haven't heard anything about it so I wasn't sure if that was over. The last time I was at the park I thought I saw there was a show in that stadium, but I didn't know what it was.

^I wish I could! I don't have a good enough camera and I'm going to be in Tampa by then!

They usually do a different show for Fright Fest, though I can't remember exactly what it was.

I'm definitely going to be eagerly awaiting the 2016 announcement, hopefully it'll be something more exciting.

Side note: are they still doing Cirque Dreams? I haven't heard anything about it so I wasn't sure if that was over. The last time I was at the park I thought I saw there was a show in that stadium, but I didn't know what it was.

well every time I went to the fright fest sea lion show, it was the same show (same tricks) but normally one person was dressed and acted like austin Powers and i'm not 100% sure but I think last year one was supposed to be dr. brown from Back to the future. It was just overall more comedic and unexpected.

Last time I was at the park they were still doing Drench as the only dolphin show. next time I go I'll ask about the Dreams show which I have yet to see myself.

also I wish I could do the media day thing but I wouldn't be able to make sure I'd go, I don't have a real video camera, my best still shot/video camera is 12MP and kodak from like 2008 and I wouldn't be able to process/upload them until I got home anyways.

Would it likely be more crowded Sat. 6/6 or Sun. 6/14 or about the same? (Daredevil Chaos Coaster will be in just its 3rd weekend of operation 6/6; however, 6/14 is a Discover Exclusive Ride Time day. In any case, I wouldn’t want to wait in a long line for the new ride.) I’m also considering going the 2nd or 3rd Sunday in August, though I’d prefer going in June. Thanks.

Sundays will be less crowded in general people go to church, have work the next day, and so on.

sundays or the middle of the week have been the best days for me, though I've never really seen SF:DK be dead asides for this really odd day SF:DK opened to honor vetrans day last year and it wasn't the actual veterans day. I think it was opened friday- sunday, closed monday then opened on tuesday. that day was good for the first 3 hours and then the park got filled up decently like it always does as the day wears on.

Went to the park today from 11-3, it was busier than I expected due to some band/choir thing going on, I saw some pins that said "Music in the Parks" so I assume that's what it was? Anyway, there were a lot of middle-school aged children roaming around in clever music t-shirts.

It looks like Dare Devil is all put up now! Also saw some other areas around the park under construction.

Here are my photos. I apologize in advance guys, I was being dumb and took all my photos the dumb way.

Nice report! I'm also sad that the elephants are no more. They were my favorite animals in the whole park!

Would Sun. 6/14 be the better day then even with the Discover event? Also, when should Monsoon Falls reopen? Thanks.

Isn't the discovery ERT after the park "closes". As for moonsoon falls it was running for at least part of the day when I was there last but that was about 2 weeks ago. All the water rides have been opened and active for over a month now.

You’re correct it is after the park closes. I had just been curious if that would have an effect on more people coming to the park.

it might. also it does say people who present a season pass can get a wristband for the event too, "A valid discover card or a season pass".

Welcome to the media day preview of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's new attraction, Dare Devil Chaos Coaster. Although Dare Devil isn't pushing attraction innovation further as many of the new coasters at Six Flags parks across the nation are, it provides excitement for many Bay Area locals to experience something new. Placed in the Oasis Plaza with heavy hitters such as Medusa, Kong, and Sky Screamer, Dare Devil will do a great job at dispersing crowds from this high traffic midway. Here is my review from the media day that took place on Friday, May 22nd.

The giant loop standing tall.

1.thumb.jpg.a89ff2b9fc0120cc68e886cac18415f0.jpg

The event started out with some brief speeches from the parks marketing directors. The Dare Devil himself even made an appearance!

2.thumb.jpg.de5511253f13baee9bde2679c47c4611.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.7211262e40aa3ca101233360833deb35.jpg

After the speeches took place, we were invited to go up on stage for a head shave to support the children battling cancer at the St. Baldrick foundation. Many Six Flags directors gave their support and are now rockin' freshly shaved hair-doos.

4.thumb.jpg.46c70eaf8c71545151caf1d74aaf0016.jpg

Here are the first riders lined up and ready.

5.thumb.jpg.45abb54d6aabe2147153377dbebffe5e.jpg

These two were seriously psyched!

6.thumb.jpg.2f53edaec8e03bb435def538c232664e.jpg

Off they are sent into the circle of chaos on the first ride of the event.

7.thumb.jpg.53d8660b26037c42700cd2006615b343.jpg

After a few chaotic laps around the loop, you are left at the rides highest point to hang upside down for what seems like an eternity.

8.thumb.jpg.89e75001e1bdbeda2ef8035776bfd1b0.jpg

After the hanging pause, Dare Devil picks up speed again for a few more forceful loop laps. The ride's intensity was a shock, especially from how tame it looked when watching from below.

9.thumb.jpg.ebcab5c70131714ef1cfcd39c579339e.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.9014857dc4db1d0532fa97fe91b41d55.jpg

These two gave Dare Devil the thumbs of approval!

11.thumb.jpg.bb004d89570c0cd3b292d6c65e3b097d.jpg

dare devil's wanted.

12.thumb.jpg.abee632248de123ee5459e46bae5bc7f.jpg

Future dare devil's will line up here. Although there is not much of a theme incorporated in the queue, riders will enjoy up close and personal views of the ride as they wait for their turn.

13.thumb.jpg.57b89fc05e86b54a61da879502e57472.jpg

Media event attendees were given some Dare Devil swag including beanies, t-shirts, and comic books.

15.thumb.jpg.090f753b84b25530034c0cab03778211.jpg

We were surprised with the awesome lunch spread that Six Flags provided. Turkey wraps, hummus, great breads, cheeses and more. Much needed to neutralize a twisted stomach after a few rides on Dare Devil.

16.thumb.jpg.ad2162a9267e208ece03d31811f5ff7a.jpg

Sweet tooth anyone?

17.thumb.jpg.3f5902f5cf9041941d4075874ebcddff.jpg

Over all, it is exciting to see Six Flags Discovery Kingdom making improvements. Although it is not a record breaking coaster, Dare Devil generates hype and excitement, making it a win for the park in my opinion. Seeing the excitement level from the general public who were gazing in awe at Dare Devil from behind the ropes proves that this installation was well worth it for the park.

18.thumb.jpg.fbf792a4f7a3b9b0ce31f3e69f7a9dea.jpg

My friend Paul and his new favorite hat! Thanks for reading.

- Sammy Spiteri

Edited by robbalvey

Nice report! I think it'll be a good addition to the park. Yes, it's a ride you can find all over and it's nothing exciting, but it's another ride for people to go on while in that plaza.

Great TR. I'm surprised how well Dare Devil fits into that area, even if the queue seems a bit small and unshaded. But it looks like fun and should be worth a ride or two in the future!

Yep, and it's definitely a spot that wouldn't fit anything else. It's very impressive how small the footprint is.