TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I haven't ridden either, but Wicked Cyclone seems to be a little slower (obviously) in the elements and focuses on tight radii to throw you outta your seat abruptly, while Colossus has large hills and inversions that are more constant, sustained air. I can't say one is better than the other since I have ridden neither, but they are both RMCs and will both be amazing.

Wicked Cyclone seems to be a little slower

There was absolutely NOTHING slow about Wicked Cyclone at all! Every element was taken at relentless speeds. I'll be posting my rider cam from the ride later this week.

Patience people. Our video is currently uploading. Please do not post links or embed videos from other people. It's just totally rude to us to do that when you should know by now we have one coming.

If you need to get your RMC fix, in the meantime, you can check out the Wicked Cyclone video we did and start the discussion on which one you think might be better for what reasons and why!

WOW....after seeing this I cannot help but to think how great GhostRider would be with this treatment.

Agreed, and seeing how Medusa turned out especially sold me on a GR overhaul. I still think just topper track would fix it, but I definitely wouldn't mind letting RMC go to town on it either.

WOW....after seeing this I cannot help but to think how great GhostRider would be with this treatment.

I know, right! Ghostrider would be the #1 top of my list of rides that RMC needs to re-make.

start the discussion on which one you think might be better for what reasons and why!

Even after riding the TC (which was f**king bananas) I still say Cyclone has the edge because of the unrelenting pace. TC and WC probably have the same amount of airtime "moments" but Cyclone's look just brutal. Can't wait to ride Cyclone later this summer

hopefully i'll get to WC some day. i think they'll be pretty close but also hard to compare for me. the way it looks to me, WC relentless start to finish. elements, a bit shorter. i'm more a big elements guy. on TC, i love the drop going into the high five on blue, the drop after, and the hill under the top gun. all pretty large elements. WC's double down looks better, imo. the double lift will kill it for a lot of people, i think. if it duels consistently, then for sure i'm glad to have TC near me. obviously from what's being said, both world class solid rides for all to enjoy.

Wicked cyclone looks relentless! Twisted Colossuss' racing elements make it more exciting for me though! It's just so cool! What other dueling coaster has the trains spiraling around each other like that? And you could potentially have a race on both parts of the ride, imagine all the fun things you can do with that! Also, say you have a group of 8 friends, you can have 4 on the first train and 4 on the second. You could trash talk eachother through the whole ride!

Here's our Twisted Colossus video. The ride just looks completely NUTS! I wanted to choose a thumbnail that showed more than just the "POV" of the ride, because IMO, the pics of just the track doesn't do this ride justice and I wanted something that showed the 'action' of it. Hope you guys agree!

Here are a few photos from the media day today. It was a busy day trying to get all the video together since I'm currently on the other side of the country and we will be getting more photos for sure, don't worry!

CFeeN8FUkAAH26P.jpg:large

The first official trains are on the track!

CFeeN8IUIAAzoIR.jpg:large

Confetti is a sure sign that the ride is now OPEN!!!

CFeZRoPWEAAfIcL.jpg:large

Media day smoke and pyro makes Twisted Colossus look even more awesome!

RC_backpov.thumb.jpg.86ed91bdcbb5af71ee6184fa6a474da2.jpg

Yes! High Five element here in the US is AWESOME!

TC_POV.thumb.jpg.8be116fa1ef692f0ca8d59339c330297.jpg

Who wishes this was their view right now?

TC_Topgun.thumb.jpg.a0bd5e31ecbb996d1a8d4027071a88bb.jpg

This ride does some seriously CRAZY elements!

caesar.thumb.jpg.9beb275acfff3de27344c8fef306c98b.jpg

Huge thanks to Caesar & his daughter for getting all the awesome footage to us today!

goingdown.thumb.jpg.d567bea8f0de3802068e004b2109fb4e.jpg

Going down? ;)

CFelJVVWYAAW4hI.jpg:large

Twisted Colossus train just sitting there waiting for YOU to come ride!

Edited by robbalvey

Wow, the ride looks absolutely bonkers! Is that a tiny launch at the beginning before the prelift section?

Also, this video makes me appreciate the official TPR filmed pov's instead of the park's footage.

Wow, the ride looks absolutely bonkers! Is that a tiny launch at the beginning before the prelift section?

Also, this video makes me appreciate the official TPR filmed pov's instead of the park's footage.

the front POV is from monday, and the rear car camera is from tuesday's filming. the pov was some big camera, the rear, a gopro. gopro for the win. great video of everything!

There's some flywheels that send you into the pre-lift bunny hops, it's actually quite fun and gets you ready for the ride

Good lord, the speed that thing moves with. As it's been said before, so glad our west coast friends finally have an airtime buffet, and one helluva ride. Amazing pics, that one with the trains in the hill and roll at the same time, beautiful.

WOW. Great footage and thank you to everyone involved! Both TC and WC look absolutely ridiculous! RMC has stepped up to the plate and hit a grand slam this year- I'm also interested to see how other companies respond with their high level coasters...because if I were a park with an outdated woodie...I'd be strongly reconsidering all previous multi-year plans and giving RMC a call right about now. Shots are absolutely fired.

And I think the most important thing that can't be stressed enough is that finally, FINALLY, California has a world class airtime machine dueling or otherwise. I sent some Colossus footage to my parents today who have ridden it every decade since it's original opening, and we've come to the conclusion that this and Lex Luthor have pushed us all over the edge to visit the park for the first time since 2007, not long after Tatsu opened.

I'm sure this is going to pay off in spades for SFMM especially given the glowing reviews from literally everyone, and I can't wait to get some of the first real west coast airtime this fall!

Edited by bf9

WOW. Great footage and thank you to everyone involved! Both TC and WC look absolutely ridiculous! RMC has stepped up to the plate and hit a grand slam this year- I'm also interested to see how other companies respond with their high level coasters...because if I were a park with an outdated woodie...I'd be dropping all previous plans and giving RMC a call right about now. Shots are absolutely fired.

And I think the most important thing that can't be stressed enough is that finally, FINALLY, California has a world class airtime machine dueling or otherwise. I sent some Colossus footage to my parents today who have ridden it every decade since it's original opening, and we've come to the conclusion that this and Lex Luthor have pushed us all over the edge to visit the park for the first time since 2007, not long after Tatsu opened.

I'm sure this is going to pay off in spades for SFMM especially given the glowing reviews from literally everyone, and I can't wait to get some of the first real west coast airtime this fall!

Indeed, this is such an exciting time to be an enthusiast. RMC, B&M stepping outside their box, and so many woodies that sadly have fallen to time...one has to wonder how many will be converted. I felt things were a bit stale a few years ago and now, not to sound dramatic but we're in a new wave right now. Exciting times.

That is great to her, this is not a bash just an observation: I've not gone to my home park in 2 years now so I know the feeling, I am glad you are going again! Speaking of shots being fired, I can think of a few Cedar Fair woodies that could REALLY use the RMC treatment, and they really need to get themselves into this game.

^The 4th train will arrive around the end of summer for exactly that reason. The goal is to have a single train always in rehab and the other three always on the ride. I don't think 2 train operation will be very common on a ride that has four.

That's the ideal situation, but in case you haven't noticed...SFMM doesn't exactly keep to rehab schedules well. Their cycle shop is overworked, undermanned, and under paid. Lots of their top talent leaves for Universal or Disney as soon as they can.

In fact, do any of the rides that once had 4 trains even still have 4 trains?

That being said...I'm still excited for the first time in a LONG LONG TIME to actually visit SFMM tomorrow AND Friday. The ride I'm sure will be great, but I also have no doubt that when it comes time to do the manufacturer required annual rehab, trains will disappear and either be cannibalized for parts to save money or take forever to return from rehab to keep their labor costs down....

Rode it 17 times today and my thighs are just completely bruised from all the airtime, and that's a good thing! (well, except for the fact that the only reason I stopped riding was because of how much they hurt). The airtime really was unreal and relentless and the ride was intense. So glad to have an airtime machine in California, and even better at my home park!

I would love to see a side-by-side video of Twisted Colossus vs Old Colossus

I guess you might have to speed up/slow down one of the sides of the video, but I think it would be a fascinating comparison to see just how much the ride has changed. Sorry if this has been suggested before.

RMC stated that TC trains can operate in reverse.....

If SFMM continues the Colossus fright fest tradition then this will be one hell of a ride backwards holy damn

Could you tell me where you found this info?

And I agree, that would be a truly insane ride experience!

back in January when they did their Q&A on Facebook, someone asked can their trains operate backwards and they said yes!

RMC stated that TC trains can operate in reverse.....

If SFMM continues the Colossus fright fest tradition then this will be one hell of a ride backwards holy damn

Could you tell me where you found this info?

And I agree, that would be a truly insane ride experience!

back in January when they did their Q&A on Facebook, someone asked can their trains operate backwards and they said yes!

i searched that thread and don't see that anywhere. just someone asking without a reply. i actually thought i heard/read/watched the opposite somewhere.