Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Coaster Hero » Tue May 19, 2015 7:59 pm

It would be useless to do this on a TOGO, yes. And since it is a TOGO, the transition variability would vary. But for the most part, the closer you are to the track, the less exaggerated the transitions are, although I never implied that it was that simple. For example, if you put your elbow on the table and bend it at a 90 degree angle, then move your forearm left and right, obviously your hand travels a larger distance than a point closer to your elbow.

Even though BGW is only so far away, I think an airtime machine would be a nice fit for KD actually. They lack anything in that catagory because I305 obviously doesn't specialize in airtime. After all, (even though the two are pretty different, and both parks are CF parks) KI and CP both have hypers
Sometimes when I am at the park I ask myself "Why is Kingda Ka open?"

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Wed May 20, 2015 3:47 am

Sitdown TOGO, possibly the inspiration for Rougerou:

LoL ... Check out the forwards-facing cam at the end -- fast and smooth. TOGO's designs have become archaic but the construction quality still holds up. But no, not at all likely.

A great replacement for Shockwave would be a small standup of comfortable design. Shockwave is the ideal length for a standup, and it is something different. I don't know who would make it, the existing B&M restraints are horrible and all of theirs have been too ambitious; most are too long. Frankly, most of Shockwave got it right.

The Screamscape thing sounds like fantasy. But who knows, there is a lot of parking lot. I would like to see addition rather than replacement, but I really think replacement would be better for the park. Quality at the present quantity. It just looks better. And the need is coming. At 3 years a coaster, it will still take 'til 2022 to replace 3 aging beasts of dubious comfort. If you think they're bad now ...

Even though BGW is only so far away, I think an airtime machine would be a nice fit for KD actually. They lack anything in that catagory because I305 obviously doesn't specialize in airtime. After all, (even though the two are pretty different, and both parks are CF parks) KI and CP both have hypers

They don't have the weird floaty this-shouldn't-be-this-scary airtime of Apollo but in every other respect I305 and KD crushes BGW on total airtime. I agree that something like that would be a good addition, though.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DCSportsAndCoasters » Wed May 20, 2015 12:25 pm

I don't see Shockwave being removed for a while. One, because it just recently got a re-paint, two, because it's still running strong, three, you can't fit anything in the space but a wild mouse (which KD already has), and four, it took nearly 15 years after King Kobra's closing for Skyrider to close, so Cedar Fair is not on a TOGO closing rampage.

I honestly think that the ride is not as bad as people claim it is. I've said "ow!" more on Alpengeist than this.
Omar Shinaishin
I like D.C. sports teams
Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Six Flags America are my home parks
Favorite coasters are: Griffon, I305, Dominator, Volcano, Apollo's Chariot, S:ROS, Fury 325, Skyrush, and so much more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Instagram @shinaishin_nation/Google+ +TheAnimatorOfficial/Twitter @TheAniOfficial, subscribe to me on Youtube (TheAnimatorOfficial).

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:36 pm

To be fair, I find Anaconda much more rough than Shockwave. However, I definitely see Shockwave on the chopping block first.

Also, you mention nothing will fit there besides a wild mouse? You couldn't be more wrong. KD could fit a decent size coaster there, especially if they went towards the former are XLC's turnaround inhabited or the woods located next to Shockwave. Take a look at how Cedar Fair fit Talon into Dorney Park.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BeansproutMidget » Wed May 20, 2015 2:15 pm

^ and ^^

I couldn't agree more. Alpengeist can be head-banging sometimes (don't get me wrong, its still a good ride), and Anaconda is terrible in almost every seat you ride in. Shockwave isn't TOO bad in some places...
1. Maverick
What a wonderful day to go ride a giga...
Kings Dominion Ride Attendant(2018) - Intimidator 305

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Wed May 20, 2015 2:32 pm

DCSportsAndCoasters wrote:I don't see Shockwave being removed for a while. One, because it just recently got a re-paint, two, because it's still running strong, three, you can't fit anything in the space but a wild mouse (which KD already has), and four, it took nearly 15 years after King Kobra's closing for Skyrider to close, so Cedar Fair is not on a TOGO closing rampage.

IIRC Kings Island repainted King Cobra just a few years before it was removed so just because they repainted Shock Wave doesn't mean they will keep it. The space doesn't need to be used for another coaster - it would be a nice spot for a Giant Frisbee or a couple medium sized flats.

In the end I just hope they don't start ripping down a large swath of trees. The lush canopies are one of the things I like about Kings Dominion.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Wed May 20, 2015 2:47 pm

I never have and never will understand why people think Alpengeist is rough. Also I'd much rather have the park keep Anaconda over Shockwave. The last car, front row provides a pretty decent ride, and the only part I actually have to brace myself is the middle of the butterfly section after the MCBR. It actually ran pretty well on the last day of the season last year I thought. Shockwave is a different story. First time I rode it, it left a decent size bruise on my hip. If Shockwave really is the next coaster go, I won't miss it.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BeansproutMidget » Wed May 20, 2015 2:52 pm

I've ridden good rides and bad rides on Alpengeist. For me, the 'bads' outweigh the 'goods'.
1. Maverick
What a wonderful day to go ride a giga...
Kings Dominion Ride Attendant(2018) - Intimidator 305

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Bmanscool » Wed May 20, 2015 4:33 pm

I personally think it would be a poor decision to remove Blue Ridge Tollaway or Flying Eagles.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

IMO: Cedar Fair in 2016

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Wed May 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Generally, Cedar Fair installs one or two large coasters and one or two smaller coasters at its parks (no more than three total per year). Say what you want, but it's pretty much beyond debate now that Cedar Point is getting the largest coaster in 2016 with "Valravn", the B&M Dive Machine. This leaves Kings Dominion, Worlds of Fun, Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, and Canada's Wonderland due for a coaster with little to no hints given yet. In terms of attendance, Canada's Wonderland takes the number one spot among these parks in terms of potential returns, but I think that CF will wait until 2017 to make Canada's Wonderland's addition the crown jewel of its 2017 budget, since Canada's Wonderland has received both Leviathan and Wonder Mountain's Guardian in the current decade. Although a new coaster would be nice at Worlds of Fun or Michigan's Adventure, CF just doesn't see the foot traffic and therefore potential quick returns from these parks. I would anticipate a gigacoaster or another large B&M to hit at least one of these parks by 2019 or 2020.
This leaves two parks open to consideration:
1. Valleyfair
Valleyfair's last new coaster was the relocated Cosmic Coaster (formerly Dragon Coaster at Dorney Park) in 2011, with its most recent coaster originating at the park being the GCI woodie Renegade in 2007. This is a long time, especially for coaster-centric chains like Six Flags and Cedar Fair. Cedar Fair sees plenty of potential in Valleyfair, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a B&M gigacoaster at the park in 2016 - except for one small problem: The FAA has placed a strict, no-ride-over-275 feet policy on Valleyfair due to the adjoining airport. The park already has a fantastic Morgan hypercoaster, a GCI woodie, a prototype Arrow hybrid coaster, an Arrow looper, a wild mouse, an Intamin Impulse, a kiddie coaster, and a classic wooden coaster - a solid lineup for a park of its size and foot traffic.
So the real question is, what DOES Valleyfair need?
Due to size, Valleyfair would have to remove a coaster to build a new one - unless you're talking a Triotech, which Cedar Fair is currently rolling out to a number of its parks over a few years in a manner similar to WindSeeker. So I'd bet on a Triotech.
2. Kings Dominion
Kings Dominion's last new coaster was Intimidator 305 in 2010. Although Cedar Fair doesn't see as much potential in KD as in other parks, its established base is one of the best at any CF park, rivaling Carowinds, despite the park's rural location. Because of this, KD is long overdue for a new coaster. Kings Dominion has to remove something to build something, and the Hurler, Grizzly, and Anaconda ain't goin' nowhere with their recent refurbishments. This leaves the Shockwave, a TOGO standup coaster which was last repainted in 2011 as the only coaster which might get removed. Unfortunately, this coaster is very compact, meaning that to build something new and large, Kings Dominion would have to remove trees in Old Virginia (killing the vibe) and/or the entire freakin' Blue Ridge Tollway antique cars ride to do so. Worth it? IDK. Could it happen? Yes. Will it? IDK.
So the real question is, what DOES Kings Dominion need?
Nothing the park builds will eclipse I305 as the premier ride, so there'd be no point in demolishing an entire section of the park in order to build a B&M hyper. On the other hand, KD doesn't have a bona fide chain-lift invert, although a wing coaster, swooping and soaring through the trees of Old Virginia would be pretty nice. So I'd bet on a B&M invert or a wing coaster (redundant, I know).
Credit Counter: 75 (72 Operating, 3 Defunct)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!