TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think this would be a great location for a new coaster.

Correction: This is the ideal location for a new coaster, since the Shockwave is up for removal, KD wouldn't need to remove too much (save the Shockwave and the barren wasteland that is the Action Theater and maybe the CornStalkers maze)...

KD2016v2.thumb.JPG.f915f9d5e799d3d022fbc407cf79d693.JPG

Yes, it looks like the Loch Ness - Busch Gardens Williamsburg-inati CONFIRMED (insert X-files theme song)

Not bad for a large B&M invert, wing coaster, or flying coaster, although a hyper is out since there's not enough for airtime hills...

I didn't know Apollo and Alpengeist were at kD And its not due for removal, no reason to remove a perfectly functional ride.

My point is that B&M has built around rides many times before, and that the Shockwave is widely unpopular. Cedar Fair is on a TOGO removal kick recently, so Shockwave is more than likely next in line. Remember, the ride last received a new paint job shortly after the Cedar Fair takeover, and hasn't received much love since. That there's prime real estate that it's sittin' on, that head-bangin' eyesore.

1)There's a difference between building around and flat out building over. One's possible and the others just not.

2)They removed exactly One togo, how exactly is that any kind of streak?

3)It's not prime real estate, and even if they did build a coaster where you wanted to put it, there's no reason to put the station there.

4) Like you said, it recently got a repaint. By your logic any ride that hasn't been painted in the last 10 years will be removed.

^^I wouldn't call removing one TOGO a "TOGO removal kick." They don't remove rides for the sake of removing them, they do so because they have plans for the site.

What other "love" are you expecting to not consider Shockwave set for removal? Intimidator hasn't been painted since it was built--it must be next in line for removal.

Removing Shockwave and building a major B&M coaster in the site you outlined would be a major undertaking, and we would likely already have clues/knowledge of the project.

To be perfectly honest, it seems that Cedar Fair is focusing on only a few parks at a given time, and Kings Dominion isn't that park just yet. I'd bet 2017 is the year though.

It'd be more probable that the park closes Shockwave and takes the old Nickelodeon area also to use for a compact but cool new coaster. If they need more space than that, I'm sure they could build over paths if they need to. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blue Ridge Tollway either lose it's trees or them to close it and use it's land as well... (Though I wouldn't want that. I don't ride those cars anymore, but people love em.)

:roll:

1)There's a difference between building around and flat out building over. One's possible and the others just not.

2)They removed exactly One togo, how exactly is that any kind of streak?

3)It's not prime real estate, and even if they did build a coaster where you wanted to put it, there's no reason to put the station there.

4) Like you said, it recently got a repaint. By your logic any ride that hasn't been painted in the last 10 years will be removed.

1) KD has to build around with current land constraints, and likely needs to remove some things as well.

2) I'm aware of this - but this is the start of a trend. Canada's Wonderland tends to be the pilot park for a number of ride types, programs, and strategies which later see usage at other CF parks. Two examples that come to mind immediately are Wonder Mountain's Guardian and Leviathan. While both of these rides seemed innovative at first, Triotech and B&M have built (and are currently building) very, very similar rides at other CF parks (Voyage to the Iron Reef, Fury 325). This also shows that CF recognizes the unpopularity of the TOGO stand-up coasters and isn't afraid to remove them.

3) Actually, you'd need to put the station there (or alternatively by the former CornStalkers maze), since there's not enough room in Old Virginia to build a large-scale queue, but there is room to put supports for a new coaster around existing rides.

4) That's not my logic at all. The fact that it hasn't been painted or refurbished, and that the Hurler, Grizzly, and Anaconda have in the past two years, makes it a more likely candidate for removal.

Every time I go to KD Shockwave always has a line, I dont think it is highly unpopular by any stretch of the imagination.

^That has to do with horrendous capacity, not popularity - yet another reason to give the coaster the axe. Very few coasters (except for maybe Tempesto, IMO, and Tempesto dispatches faster because it's a sit-down rather than a stand-up) have such a low capacity. The ride is also prone to breakdowns and has an awful lift hill that takes forever to ascend, despite how small it is in reality.

Have I mentioned how rough it is? They should rename it the "world's most realistic Concussion 'Simulator'" .

Haven't you seen the new ride already it's the image on KD's website you can see it very clearly. No more need to argue. I take full credit for the discovery...

Haven't you seen the new ride already it's the image on KD's website you can see it very clearly. No more need to argue. I take full credit for the discovery...

Might I refer you to page 1118 of this discussion thread? (My post, btw)

He's being sarcastic....

I think there's a possibility that KD will surprise us and turn Shockwave into a sit-down coaster. It would be a lot more tolerable.

If it were a B&M I'd believe in the possibility of this, but the majority of Togo's are trash. More than half of them have been removed from parks, and for good reason.

I think there's a possibility that KD will surprise us and turn Shockwave into a sit-down coaster. It would be a lot more tolerable.

I'd bet everything against that, as well. That ride might be even MORE rough even IF that happened (which it won't). Shockwave will be gone by 2017, amigo.

Actually, it would be less rough as a sitdown. Lower heartline=less exaggerated transitions=less rough ride

I'd bet everything against that, as well. That ride might be even MORE rough even IF that happened (which it won't). Shockwave will be gone by 2017, amigo.

Actually, it would be less rough as a sitdown. Lower heartline=less exaggerated transitions=less rough ride

Not really how it works. The track and transitions are engineered for a heartline at a specific height range. Taking it out of that range can actually increase the variability of the heartline, making the ride even rougher/jerkier.

Mantis was possible to convert because the heartline allowed for such variability--not sure if Shockwave is designed like this.

And because its a B&M, and B&M produces sit down/floorless trains with the same track guage. Togo does not, especially since they are not in business.

Not really how it works. The track and transitions are engineered for a heartline at a specific height range. Taking it out of that range can actually increase the variability of the heartline, making the ride even rougher/jerkier.

Mantis was possible to convert because the heartline allowed for such variability--not sure if Shockwave is designed like this.

And because its a B&M, and B&M produces sit down/floorless trains with the same track guage. Togo does not, especially since they are not in business.

But let's ask ourselves the important questions here:

A. Would it really be worth it to pump a few million into converting an old TOGO? I seriously doubt changing the seating type will drive attendance, even under a new name. Even if the coaster could be made slightly smoother (which Password121 pretty much debunked, kudos to you, man), it will take parkgoers about five seconds to realize that they paid for a ticket to ride the same, mediocre-at-best, aging, unreliable TOGO, which I will remind you CF isn't afraid to remove.

B. Could the land be repurposed for the better? I say ABSOLUTELY YES. Two scenarios play out in 2016, based on my current information and what makes sense for the park, and both involve the Shockwave's removal.

1. Shockwave removed and replaced with a freakin' huge, thrilling flat ride. Does it sound stupid, since KD has one of the best flat ride collections worldwide (Gyro Drop hype)? Yes. Will it drive attendance? No. Has CF done it before? Yes. Will it give KD another year to bolster their case for a $25-30M+ B&M in 2017? Absolutely.

2. Shockwave removed, trees between "roadways" for Blue Ridge Tollway cleared, and new B&M invert, wing coaster, or even flying coaster put in its place. If this doesn't happen in '16, it's going to happen in '17 - mark my words. Even a launched wing coaster could be implemented with that plot of land (look at Google Earth and then look at Dominator, another inverting B&M at the park, for comparison). I'm >99% sure that nothing that KD builds will ever come close to the legend of Intimidator 305, so there's no point in building a hyper due to space constraints and logic. Look for a Thunderbird-type ride in '16 or '17.