Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef Media Day!

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef Media Day!

Postby ILoveRides » Fri May 15, 2015 10:37 am

Wednesday was the media day for Knott’s Berry Farm’s new ride, Voyage to the Iron Reef, and TPR was there to check out all the action! This interactive, 4-d shooting ride brings another family-friendly, entertaining dark ride to the Farm. The ride is as expected - a decent 4-d shooter with a customized story and artwork to make it interesting and unique to Knott’s. To address the elephant in the room, inevitably this more budget-conscious ride doesn’t live up to its neighbors - The Calico Mine Ride and The Timber Mountain Log Ride, or its predecessors - Knott’s Beary Tales and Kingdom of the Dinosaurs. However, it brings an interactive element that Knott’s lacked, and is clearly better than having the building sit vacant, as it has for many years. Overall, we expect it to go over pretty well with the GP, and feel it’s definitely worth visiting Knott’s to check out. While it won’t make our “favorite rides” list, it will be a ride we expect to experience at least once on every Knott’s visit. It's a “good” ride, just not a “great” one. But enough talk, check out our report below to learn more about the ride. And be sure to see it in-person at Knott’s!
001.JPG
We’re at Knott’s for the opening of Voyage to the Iron Reef!
002.JPG
As usual, Knott’s has tons of awesome food ready and waiting.
003.JPG
Ice sculpture and all.
004.JPG
Mmmm, breakfast!
005.JPG
But enough food, it’s time for the opening celebration!
006.JPG
Jason Soyster, Director of Communications at Knott’s, stepped to the mic and welcomed everyone to the event.
007.JPG
Raffi Kaprelyan, VP & General Manager at Knott’s, spoke of the history of the ride building, and how this new ride fits into that history. He said that with Knott’s Beary Tales in 1975, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs in 1987, and now with Voyage to the Iron Reef, Knott’s has a proud history of showcasing the latest theme park technology in the unique space.
008.JPG
Bob Gurr, famous Disney Imagineer and Disney Legend who also oversaw the creation of the creatures in Kindom of the Dinosaurs, came on stage to reflect on his memories of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, and share his excitement for Voyage to the Iron Reef.
009.JPG
Finally, Captain McCallister came on stage to christen Voyage to the Iron Reef and officially open the ride.
010.JPG
With a burst of streamers, the ride was officially opened!
011.JPG
As bubbles filled the air, we made our way to the ride entrance.
012.JPG
The queue is decorated with backlit cutouts.
013.JPG
Monitors hanging throughout the queue play a pre-show video to introduce guests to the theme.
014.JPG
Captain McCallister narrates the video.
015.JPG
Darn those pesky steampunk animals.
016.JPG
Sign enthusiasts rejoice!
017.JPG
The Knott’s haunt designers seem to be enjoying the ride.
018.JPG
Spears has donned her 3-d glasses and is ready to ride!
019.JPG
Each “submarine” consists of two connected cars that seat 4 people each.
020.JPG
This display shows your score as you play.
021.JPG
Each “freeze ray” gun has a different color gun-shot. These graphics indicate what color your gun is.
022.JPG
Here’s the freeze ray gun. It doesn't tire your arm out like Midway Mania does!
023.JPG
As the left icon indicates, please don’t slouch or hover over the seat when pooping on the ride.
024.JPG
And we’re off!
025.JPG
Dive! Dive! Dive!
026.JPG
The submarine goes through a fog screen with bubble projections to give the illusion of diving underwater.
027.JPG
The ride is pretty much what you’d expect. Lots of screens with lots of creatures to shoot. Nothing too groundbreaking in that sense, but the steampunk art style looks nice and is different than any other shooting ride I’ve been on.
028.JPG
Quick, shoot him!
029.JPG
Knott’s rides and artifacts are strewn throughout the background.
030.JPG
There are some neat things to see if you look closely!
031.JPG
Fire away!
032.JPG
Knott’s did a good job of creating physical scenes in-between the projection screens.
033.JPG
There’s interesting stuff to look at as you transition from screen to screen.
034.JPG
Ooooh, pretty tunnel.
035.JPG
It’s the Queen Kraken! Shoot her!
036.JPG
Talk to the hand, because the face ain't listening.
037.JPG
At the end of the ride each rider’s score is displayed with their photo. Our scores aren’t bad considering we were shooting photos instead of bad guys for most of the ride!
038.JPG
Here’s the unload area.
039.JPG
And a shot of the track and wheels for the super nerds.
040.JPG
This is the mural you walk past as you exit.
041.JPG
There’s one final room with screens that display the latest scores and top scores. This wasn’t functioning 100% yet, but hiccups are inevitable on the first preview day of a ride.
042.JPG
The ride exits into the downstairs arcade which has been tidied up and updated with many new, modern games. The arcade also connects to the gift shop.
043.JPG
Nautilus is the gift shop for the ride.
044.JPG
Here’s a peek at the store window display.
045.JPG
There’s lots of cool ride merchandise!
046.JPG
Custom shirts...
047.JPG
Coin jars and tins...
048.JPG
Steampunk and ocean themed trinkets...
049.JPG
This cool display is in the center of the store...
050.JPG
Oh no, Gertrude got eaten! It’s so sad! Her funeral is next week.
051.JPG
Just kidding! Gertrude is fine. Here she is admiring herself in a Voyage to the Iron Reef pocket mirror.
052.JPG
So yeah, there’s a bunch of neat branded ride merchandise and ride-related merchandise.
053.JPG
The tentacles are my favorite item.
054.JPG
There are mugs...
055.JPG
A cool limited edition season pass-holder pin...
056.JPG
Even a bunch of the stuff that looks like it’s just “for decoration” is for sale. This spider is for sale.
057.JPG
Steampunk fans will be in heaven here.
058.JPG
Even this thing is for sale. There’s a bunch of neat stuff!
059.JPG
They had to draw the line somewhere, so the steampunk-themed water pipe is not for sale.
060.JPG
Knott’s also gave us ERT on all the boardwalk rides! Awesome! A ride on Xcelerator, front seat, with no wait? Yes, please! Make that 3 rides! Xcelerator is still one of the best coasters around.
061.JPG
The boardwalk was totally empty!
062.JPG
Yay for ERT!
063.JPG
You could have the entire ride to yourself!
064.JPG
Spears borrowed someone’s bubble gun for some bubble ERT.
065.JPG
Back at Voyage to the Iron Reef, we snapped a pic with Captain Snoopy and crew before taking a couple more spins on the ride.
066.JPG
Thanks to Knott’s for inviting us to this event... we had a great time! And thanks to you for checking out our report! Now go experience Voyage to the Iron Reef - it's NOW OPEN at Knott’s Berry Farm!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef Media Day!

Postby Jew » Fri May 15, 2015 12:11 pm

All the old Necropolis costumes brought back out for this event...makes me wonder if that area will return to take over the boardwalk this year for Haunt.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby brneff99 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Outstanding TR that definitely puts a much better perspective and light on the attraction. It seems way better done than some have reflected upon and I look forward to checking it out later today. I'll take the quirkiness over yet another Super Hero themed ride any day.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby glucky11801 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Nice to see Bob Gurr giving a speech. He's a good friend of mine. I love getting him to tell me all about the days with Walt Disney.
As one of the original Imagineers, he had a lot to do with the creation of Disneyland! :b

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby DBJ » Fri May 15, 2015 1:56 pm

Great report and pics! I look forward to seeing it soon hopefully.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby ferk60 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Great trip report, not the ride for me. If I had a family I am sure my children would get a kick out of it however the ride is a great use of space and Knotts looks like they spared no expense in planning and marketing the ride. Id go to a park with you two any day, you two make it look so fun!
Lawyer by day :| , roller coaster lover by day and night! :lmao:

Top 5
1. Intimidator 305
2. Millenium Force
3. Skyrush
4. Maverick
5. Alpengist

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue May 19, 2015 4:53 am

Looks like a good fit for Knott's--perfect for families (pretty much what I expected). Snoopy is looking pretty stylish there.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue May 19, 2015 6:56 am

Good addition for the park, and I greatly approve of the various stuffed creatures available for purchase!

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Joe_Spence » Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 am

So is Admiral Snoopy going to be a regular thing? Because he is friggin Adorable.
”The only way you can check Gretzky is to hit him when he is standing still singing the national anthem.” - Harry Sinden

Die Hard Sabres Fan

Former Cedar Point Employee (Wicked Twister 2005)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Tue May 19, 2015 8:42 pm

glucky11801 wrote:Nice to see Bob Gurr giving a speech. He's a good friend of mine. I love getting him to tell me all about the days with Walt Disney.
As one of the original Imagineers, he had a lot to do with the creation of Disneyland! :b

I used to work valet at the Grand California Hotel and he would frequent the spot. Never shied away from small talk. Pretty cool experience to chat to a legend, even if it was just about his day and how he's doing.
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!