Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby larrygator » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:49 am

cfc wrote:
larrygator wrote:About two miles west of Coney Island is a local institution Roll n Roaster serving great roast beef sandwiches, just in case you are not in the mood for great local pizza (at Totonno's or Grimaldi's) or Nathan's

http://rollnroaster.com/custom/rollnroaster/commercial.htm

Roll n Roasters looks good to me, but how old is that commerical? ;) Would like to give them a try someday.

I've updated the index on the first page.

I stop by the place at least twice a week on the way home from work.
That commercial is from the late 70s. The staff does not quite look like that anymore.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby fraroc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Philrad71 wrote:^^ I thought Fuddruckers was about on the same par as Red Robin. The burgers were okay, but I would much rather find a non-chain restaurant to visit during my travels....like the place shown five posts above! :lover:

I love the fact that Fuddruckers has the futuristic Coca-Cola machines and their seasoned fries are just...God they're delicious :) I guess I'm just not used to the fact that we don't have places like Fuddruckers, Hardees, Cracker Barrel,and Sheetz on Long Island. For the longest time we didn't even have Sonic or DQ....that is until we got Sonic in 2011 and a DQ in 2013. Lines still get pretty bad for both in the summertime....

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Looks like the original style of Arby's, but much better!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:34 pm

fraroc wrote:
Philrad71 wrote:^^ I thought Fuddruckers was about on the same par as Red Robin. The burgers were okay, but I would much rather find a non-chain restaurant to visit during my travels....like the place shown five posts above! :lover:

I love the fact that Fuddruckers has the futuristic Coca-Cola machines and their seasoned fries are just...God they're delicious :) I guess I'm just not used to the fact that we don't have places like Fuddruckers, Hardees, Cracker Barrel,and Sheetz on Long Island. For the longest time we didn't even have Sonic or DQ....that is until we got Sonic in 2011 and a DQ in 2013. Lines still get pretty bad for both in the summertime....

We are just getting our first Sonic in Buffalo this summer...I have never eaten at one before.

And our local Dairy Queen went out of business about five years ago. I guess having winter for seven months of the year will do that! ;)

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby fraroc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Philrad71 wrote:
fraroc wrote:

We are just getting our first Sonic in Buffalo this summer...I have never eaten at one before.

And our local Dairy Queen went out of business about five years ago. I guess having winter for seven months of the year will do that! ;)

They're thinking about putting a second Sonic on Long Island, but what they should do is put a second DQ because I thought the lines for Sonic were bad, the lines for DQ were unimaginable.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:58 pm

All this talk about Sonic, DQ, and Fuddruckers is prompting me to repost one of requirements of this thread:

2. Remember that this must be a locally owned restaurant--no big chains.

DQ is nationwide, as is Sonic. Fuddruckers has restaurants in most of the 50 states, and in a number of countries. They do not qualify for this thread.

Thank you.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Nozzy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:28 pm

It's taken me long enough, but let's try a New Jersey chain-Surf Taco!

Surf Taco's specialty (and my favorite) are the Surf Tacos, which are fried cod with a nice cilantro sauce. My other favorite is the chicken tender taco- I generally get one of each every time I go! The order comes with chips and there's a nice salsa bar available for your pleasure. There's plenty of other options as well, but I haven't ventured beyond my normal cause I like it so much!

IMG_5851.jpg
Fish taco!

It's a bit away from Great Adventure (~15-20 minutes, but there's not too much near Great Adventure) and there are locations in Point Pleasant and Seaside as well if you don't feel like boardwalk food. The Jackson location features both a full bar and a Coke Freestyle machine!

Six Flags Great Adventure- 21 Hope Chapel Rd, Jackson, NJ
Seaside Park- 212 SE Central Ave, Seaside Park, NJ
Jenkinson's Boardwalk- 1300 Richmond Ave, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:34 am

Ever since i started my new job close to downtown Cincinnati I have been going to a lot of the small local places and one thats not exactly local but the only other place that has it is somewhere in California the place is called Pieology http://www.pieology.com/

Some places I highly reccomend if you to to Kings Island, Coney Island or Strickers Grove are:

Tacocracy in northside.
7893845924_4519fcab77_z.jpg

8665265465_c815e2ee1b_c.jpg

pRszEIaWWQVUDI.jpg

Thai Express in clifton. It has won best take out a bunch of years. Two little old ladies from Thailand make the food.
396.png

ls.jpg

Amol India also in Clifton. If you like Indian you'll like this place.
large.png

10624448_717712634956613_1064679092_n.jpg

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm

I just updated the index in the first post--thanks for the recommendations.

And of you're in the mood for Indian food in Williamsburg, you might want to check out Nawab Indian Cuisine. Dinner entrees run anywhere from $15.00-$19.00, and their lunch buffet is a pretty good deal (just not as much choice as you get at dinner).

Nawab Indian Cuisine
204 Monticello Ave
Williamsburg, VA 23185

The best way to get there from the park is to turn left on Rt. 60 and just keep going straight (past Colonial Williamsburg) until you cross Richmond Road (you go by the post office and train station and through an old neighborhood). Once you pass Staples, Nawab is in the old strip mall on the right.

It's located in a pretty beat-up strip mall near a thrift store, but the inside of the restaurant is rather nice, and it's a popular stop for lunch.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:10 am.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:36 am

I won't make it to Williamsburg now with the change in plans and only doing Kings Dominion. Any suggestions for near there or on that side of Richmond when i am Headed in the Saturday night before C4K? I like to try specialties and tend to prefer Mexican style foods when trying new places. I don't do Seafood though.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!