Rye Playland Discussion Thread

P. 30: The future(?) amid the squabbling
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Rye Playland Discussion Thread

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:38 am

I would rather see a new Legoland built from the ground up then converting an old amusement park and removing a good chunk of the rides. Zamperla would probably be the best owner of the property. Or maybe Palace Entertainment?
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:48 pm

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2014/August/10/Playland-10Aug14.htm

The Westchester County Board of Legislators is going to consider leasing the county-owned Playland to a partnership between Central Amusements and Standard Amusements, the two remaining companies that had responded to a request for proposals to operate the facilities.

The move comes after Sustainable Playland, Inc., the non-profit organization selected to run it, exercised its right to terminate its asset management agreement.

County Legislator Kenneth Jenkins, who had filed a lawsuit challenging the agreement with Sustainable Playland, announced he ended the legal action.

“The combined talents of these two world-class amusement operators and their confirmed investment of $25 million into Playland with a guaranteed minimum payment to Westchester County is a win-win-win situation for this great park’s future and the county’s taxpayers,” said Jenkins.

He said he hopes legislation approving the new partnership group can be considered and adopted in time to positively impact the 2015 county budget.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:50 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm putting my money on Zamperla. Course I could say that about several parks Zamperla should take over.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:47 am

Just visited Playland for the first time yesterday, and actually really loved the park. I do have a soft spot for little, traditional parks like this one; I usually enjoy them far more than big corporate parks, really, even without any major coasters. Playland definitely needs TLC and the crowds were...not exactly classy...but the actual rides seem to be in good condition beneath the faded paint, and run quite well. Derby Racer is absolutely awesome, the dark rides are charming, and the Dragon coaster was quite a bit better than I expected...no world class woodie but definitely worth riding. Even the Volare's not really that bad. The flats seem to to be run at pretty serious speeds, too, so even the common stuff compares pretty well to other similar rides.

The park definitely needs some work in places, but it seemed like it has real potential, if it just gets an owner that actually cares about it a little bit. If the partnership with Central Amusements and Standard Amusements works out, I'm really looking forward to seeing where the place goes. I'll definitely be going back myself.

Sadly no pictures since their bag policy meant my phone stayed in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo all day.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coasterchitchat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:04 pm

I found this video on youtube showing CAI's (Central Amusuments, Inc) plan for reinventing Playland.

WARNING--- This video is about 1 hours and 45 minutes. You probably won't finish it ALL in ONE time.

Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dbucknyc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:06 am

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:39 am

This is exciting, I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. Sustainable Playland was a terrible idea, this is much better.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Location: Crystal Beach, Ontario circa 1969 via the Wabac Machine

Postby Mr.Peabody » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 am

I recall hearing a few years or so ago that Rye found a full set of plans from the Airplane Coaster in one of their filing cabinets. We should heavily push for a rebuild. It would be a phenomenal event.

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:13 am

dbucknyc wrote:An announcement for a new operator for Playland was made 4/14/2015.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/rye-city/2015/04/14/playland-park-rye-management/25758221/

Bummer, I was hoping Central would take over since they have done well with Coney Island. Though having Jack Falfas is a smart idea.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:40 am

coasterbill wrote:This is exciting, I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. Sustainable Playland was a terrible idea, this is much better.

I thought that it was a fantastic idea, but at too much expense to the amusement zone in that particular case.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!