Photo TR: Coasters and Culture of the UAE!

PART 7: Heritage Village, Old Souqs, and Sparky's Dubai!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: Photo TR: Coasters and Culture of the UAE!

Postby nswain1110 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 am

This place looks awesome! I LOVE waterparks so muchos gracias for this TR :br :b :br

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:42 pm

In five years of going to AUH i still haven't got here yet, thanks for the photos. I am there in April, might need to go this time around.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:31 pm

^ & ^^ You're welcome! I'm glad you both enjoyed them! :)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Part 4: Ferrari World & BONUS Construction Update!

After visiting Yas Waterworld, we made the short drive to Yas Mall for Ferrari World! For being an all indoor park, this park is HUGE. Just like the Burj Khalifa, you truly don't comprehend how large it is until you've seen it in person. We took many glances at the park while at Yas Waterworld, and we'd seen Fiorano GT Challenge cycle several times, but not once did we see Formula Rossa. It wasn't until we were pulling into the parking garage that we FINALLY saw it cycle, and a huge weight of nerves was lifted off our shoulders!

We walked into the park and immediately headed for Formula Rossa. We had the Premium passes again, but unlike Yas Waterworld, there were lines here. Formula Rossa had a 20 minute wait...and we waited less than five! All loose articles were collected by attendants before entering the loading platform, and they gave us a number to retrieve them after the ride. I was shocked by the thoroughness of this procedure. The attendants had eyes like a hawk, and they would snatch up any loose article in seconds! You definitely don't see that in the US! We were handed our safety goggles (with special ones that go over glasses), and we were on our way for a front seat ride! The launch on this ride seems like it never ends; like the Energizer Bunny, you just keep going, and going, and going! Neither of us felt the brake on the first ride, but we did on a few others. The rest of the ride is comparable to Millennium Force. The curves show off the speed, and the hills have some great floater air! Formula Rossa simply blew us away!

Of course, we also did the Fiorano GT Challenge racing coasters. I remember Robb describing them as bizarre rides, and it's an appropriate description. To a degree, it does feel like you're on a race track with the varied launches and curves. On the yellow (left) side, the turns are banked appropriately, but on the red (right) side, the turns are mostly unbanked, which makes for some painful laterals. Then came one of the more interesting parts of this park, the Bell'Italia car ride. It's a simple car ride through Italy, but we were stranded in the Alps! There we were...stuck in a traffic jam in the Alps due to a ride malfunction. Luckily, we were "rescued" in about 15 minutes.

As for the dark rides, it's quite a collection. First came Made in Maranello, which is reminiscent of the ride at Hershey's Chocolate World, but not nearly as elaborate. It didn't delve into as much information as the Hershey ride, and it was honestly more of an advertisement to purchase a car. Next was Speed of Magic; what a strange ride! It's the same type of ride as Spiderman or Curse of DarKastle, but with a very strange story line. Essentially, a kid is having trouble beating a video game, and his dad offers to take him for a ride in his Ferrari as a break. He asks his son to hold onto the keys for him while he gets ready, and the character in the game (Nello, who is also a park mascot) jumps out of the game, steals them, and takes the keys back into the game. Your job is to retrieve the keys from Nello for the kid and his dad. Bizarre plot aside, it's a well-done ride! The final dark ride was Viaggio in Italia, a Soarin' knock-off. As you chase a Ferrari through the streets of Italy, you'll find that the ride is incredibly boring.

We rode Formula Rossa several more times all over the train, and we even had a chance for a night ride! It's just as good in every row of the train, but you'll probably notice the brakes more when you reride it. A night ride should NOT be passed up if you have the opportunity!

It's a very nice park with GREAT employees, but it leaves something to be desired. It feels more like a bunch of undecorated buildings covered by a giant awning. Other than Formula Rossa, there's not a lot of "wow-factor" here, especially if you're not a car fan. This park has TONS of potential, and I think with this new Dynamic Attractions coaster, this park will be scores better than what it is now.

BONUS Construction Update!

Okay, we all know about the new Dynamic Attractions coaster, Mission Ferrari, but there's MUCH more construction than it going on at the park! First off, there's a new ropes course on the way called Racer's Edge, and it looks to be mostly (if not completely) finished. Then, there's the construction that can be seen from outside of the park. It's all next-door to Fiorano GT Challenge, and it's still in its beginning stages. So far, it looks like only groundwork has been done with the footers dug, but not poured. But then there's something else that I happened to spot. Unfortunately, my picture of it didn't come out (Sorry, my camera didn't like the lighting inside), but there is a POURED FOOTER in the middle of Bell'Italia's theming. Now, you may think it's just for lights, decor, or something...but I've seen plenty of footers in my time. This is a COASTER footer. So, unless Mission Ferrari is going to circle around the park, I TRULY believe that Ferrari World is building a second coaster. PLUS, this footer is on the other side of the park as the construction next to Fiorano GT Challenge.

Onto the pics! I hope you all enjoy!
DSCN0230.JPG
Here we are! The entrance to Ferrari World inside of Yas Mall.
P3010192.JPG
But first thing's first...to Formula Rossa! (KK)
DSCN0257.JPG
The viewing platform gives fantastic views of the ride!
DSCN0258.JPG
And they're off!
P3010234.jpg
I can't imagine how crazy that airtime would be if it didn't have the brake. (KK)
P3010226.JPG
Floaty airtime goodness! (KK)
P3010227.JPG
Swooping turns! (KK)
P3010228.JPG
And a few bunny hops for good measure! (KK)
DSCN0244.JPG
Their Chinese New Year celebration ended the day before our visit, but there were still plenty of paper lanterns hanging about.
DSCN0245.JPG
Would you ever have guessed that there are cars in here??
DSCN0246.JPG
The spacious walkways successfully accommodate the INSANE crowds here today!
DSCN0247.JPG
I love the support structures of the park. They really add to the "cool" factor for me!
DSCN0248.JPG
In case the bounty of non-moving Ferraris wasn't enough, here are two that spin around.
DSCN0249.JPG
Does anybody know why the drop tower that used to be here was removed?
P3010208.JPG
Time for the racing coaster! (KK)
DSCN0238.JPG
They didn't have a full outdoor viewing area for Fiorano GT Challenge like they did for Formula Rossa, but you still get a nice view of the ride from this window in the queue.
P3010211.JPG
The loading platform. The drop out of the station is pretty surprising! (KK)
P3010195.JPG
Our Italian chariot arrives! (KK)
P3010196.JPG
They did a nice job with the little villages. (KK)
P3010200.JPG
On-ride shot! The footer is just beyond this "hill." (KK)
P3010202.JPG
Oh, no! Traffic jam! (KK)
DSCN0233.JPG
The ceiling is so cool. Note the construction in the background.
DSCN0234.JPG
Looking back at the tunnel on the ride. I wonder how excited the riders stuck inside were!
DSCN0240.JPG
Back by Fiorano GT Challenge, we see some parts awaiting construction!
DSCN0241.JPG
An overview of the construction site.
DSCN0242.JPG
Zooming in on those footers...I don't see any concrete.
DSCN0243.JPG
There's still a lot more work to do here.
DSCN0250.JPG
Is that more construction I see?
DSCN0254.JPG
Yes! This is the new ropes course!
DSCN0256.JPG
Racer's Edge...coming soon to a Ferrari World near you!
P3010206.JPG
Another chariot awaits! This time for the factory tour ride. (KK)
P3010191.jpg
Another car. Who would've guessed? (KK)
P3010216.JPG
There's some old cars. (KK)
DSCN0253.JPG
Some new ones.
DSCN0251.JPG
Some for drag racing.
DSCN0252.JPG
And then one that brings you back to the '80s!
DSCN0255.JPG
There's even a playground for the kids!
P3010247.JPG
There are plenty of reminders of the Ferrari brand. Just in case you happen to forget. (KK)
P3010248.JPG
Near the entrance/exit, there's this lovely machine. (KK)
P3010249.jpg
Goodbye, Ferrari World! I can't wait to come back for Mission Ferrari and more Formula Rossa goodness! (KK)

Up next, stay tuned for Part 5: Yolo Works, the strange drifting coaster at Fun Works! Coming soon!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:51 am

I had no idea they were building a ropes course there.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CoasterFEV » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:08 am

cfc wrote:I had no idea they were building a ropes course there.

Neither did I! And it doesn't look at all like a "normal" ropes course. Looks a lot like the "challenge" activities that Elissa had us doing at the ultra-crazy ropes course on last year's Scandi Trip. Check the right-side of the tower in the photo - looks just like an activity we did in Scandi where a challenger stands on the platform and has to jump out to grab onto the trapeze-style handles.

Fun stuff! Might need to make it over there this Summer to try it!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:14 am

Gee, that's so strange! I'll bet it has nothing to do with the mystery construction going on. ;)

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Chip422 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:29 am

^ Hint Hint...... =)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/7dabb3ef5cff0ae30685858e5eba0737.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:17 am

robbalvey wrote:

Gee, that's so strange! I'll bet it has nothing to do with the mystery construction going on. ;)

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Baffles » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks for the great report - I'm visiting here next week. £100 ($150) for two tickets - ouch! Hope it's worth it..

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!