Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:47 pm

^^ :omg: Where - are - the hot dogs?

I do not - see - the hot dogs! :shockr:

Actually, YUM for the hot dogs.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Love Donkeys!

Postby gad198 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:16 am

Just got back from a Texas trip, and there are a few places I'd like to add (no links as I don't have the required post count yet):

La Barbecue - Austin, TX - technically this isn't "close" to any of the parks in Dallas or San Antonio but is definitely worth the trip. The beef (brisket & beef rib) that we tried here was absolutely amazing. I'd go as far as to say that the brisket - particularly the point (fatty portion) - may be the most flavorful beef I've had in the US. The sides and the other meats are good, but they pale in comparison to the beef items. They sell out of a food trailer, and open up at 11 daily. The line moves rather slowly and they will sell out of the beef ribs early, so you'll want to make sure you're in line by 10:30 as insurance.

Pancake Joe's - San Antonio, TX - we ate here for breakfast. Two words...HASH BROWNS. These are without a doubt the best hash browns anywhere in the country. Everyone at their respective tables had at least one order of these and with good reason - they are amazing! Think Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream potato chips in the form of a hash brown.

Southtown Pub - St. Louis, MO - a mix of dive bar and BBQ. The pork and brisket here were both VERY good. I've been to a ton of BBQ places in the St. Louis and Kansas City areas and this ranks up there with the best and comes without the long lines that accompany the food at the other good establishments.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BigDipper 80 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Some of those burgers & beers...oh my! Thanks for sharing!

I think that this is the same exit we stayed at for Banshee Bash last year, but we ended up going to Carrabba's as that was right next to our hotels. And you certainly can't go wrong at a Carrabba's!

^ Those BBQ sandwiches also look to die for...wow!

It's hard to find non-chains up near Kings Island, and when I found out that Flipdaddy's opened up in Mason, I was pretty excited.

And like everyone else, I cannot recommend Eli's enough. Ohio obviously isn't considered a big BBQ state, but Eli's is probably the best BBQ I've had "up north". Definitely worth the trip up the river or into the city for it. Also, it's BYOB! It is cash-only though, just as a note.

Also out near Eli's is Terry's Turf Club, located at 4618 Eastern Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45226. Good luck getting a table though! They're another awesome burger restaurant and it's a very cool dive-type place with a massive collection of old neon from around Cincinnati.

We really need a restaurant thread over in the Random forum if there isn't one. There's a slew of restaurants in Cincinnati that I'd recommend to out-of-towners, but are a bit too far away from the parks to justify talking about here.
069.JPG
You know you're in for a treat when you roll up to a place that looks like this.
070-2.JPG
072.JPG
terry's.jpg
Not my picture, but it gives you an idea of the heaven on a bun that Terry serves up.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mater » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:31 pm

There is an amazing Del Taco just outside SFMM.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:48 pm

^^That burger looks amazing...thanks for posting this!

And I agree in that a random forum thread for restaurants that are local or semi local to where you live would be cool. I was posting stuff in here about restaurants in downtown Buffalo, but that is still a good 20 minutes from the nearest amusement park (Martin's Fantasy Island).

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby fraroc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:44 am

Okay, if you're going to go to Hersheypark. One word, FUDDRUCKERS.

Holy Jesus those are good burgers.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Cmbgo12 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am

For anyone going to Six Flags over Georgia, or just going to Atlanta in general there's this Mediterranean place in Midtown called Café Agora that is absolutely to die for! Its about a block from the Midtown MARTA station too, which is great in the case of the train breaking down... (As what happened to me :Pr )
Coaster Count- 113 Wood- 23 Steel- 90
Top 5 Steel- Diamondback, Bizarro, I305, Montu, Apollo's Chariot
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Racer, Beast, Grizzly (KD), Swamp Fox (FK), Wildcat (HP)

If Fury 325 ends up being on the same level as Diamondback it may just kill me...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 pm

^^ I thought Fuddruckers was about on the same par as Red Robin. The burgers were okay, but I would much rather find a non-chain restaurant to visit during my travels....like the place shown five posts above! :lover:

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:51 pm

About two miles west of Coney Island is a local institution Roll n Roaster serving great roast beef sandwiches, just in case you are not in the mood for great local pizza (at Totonno's or Grimaldi's) or Nathan's

http://rollnroaster.com/custom/rollnroaster/commercial.htm
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:05 am

larrygator wrote:About two miles west of Coney Island is a local institution Roll n Roaster serving great roast beef sandwiches, just in case you are not in the mood for great local pizza (at Totonno's or Grimaldi's) or Nathan's

http://rollnroaster.com/custom/rollnroaster/commercial.htm

Roll n Roasters looks good to me, but how old is that commerical? ;) Would like to give them a try someday.

I've updated the index on the first page.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:06 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!