Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1071: Pantheon multi-launch coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Trevor Hamilton » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:43 am

"Found a video of the announcement.

They make it sound pretty good, even addressing some of the complaints people had like its location in the park, and the ride's length."

When did they address it's location? I didn't see it in the video.

EDIT: The quote messed up, so I just put it in bold
1. Griffon 2. Fury 325 3. 1305 4. Maverick 5. El Toro

Griffon is amazing fight me

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:37 pm

^I presume it's mentioned about 25 seconds in the video.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Nice to know it has three cars. Now I wonder if the OTSRs have something to do with this. I mean, longer trains with the same layout = greater forces in the back and front which might have resulted in these restraints, no?
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm glad that the park is using a three car train and I wouldn't be surprised if the restraints allow for quicker loading than the retrofitted seatbelts on Six Flags's Premier coasters, but this is still going to have major capacity issues. I'd be surprised if the capacity ends up being more than about 500 riders per hour. That said, Tempesto will be a fun ride, I just have a feeling a lot of visitors will be disappointed after waiting two hours for it.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:22 pm

I still find this to be one of the most confusing and odd situations with marketing I have experienced. But OK, what ever, tempesto looks nice. I don't necessarily feel it was appropriate for BGW, but it should be enjoyable if in the area.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Speaking of Tempesto . . .

Busch Gardens Passholder Preview Day 2015
Springtime in Williamsburg. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and Busch Gardens is ready for a new season. And, at long last, we will have our answer to a long debated question. I am referring to, of course, . . .

the refurbished restrooms at the Festhaus! Yes, new tile, fresh paint, and Dyson Airblade hand dryers! O joyous day!

Well, as important as infrastructure is, I guess more people are wondering whether they will finally admit that the big new structure in Festa Italia actually exists. They were having some fun with this right before rope drop this morning: "Are you folks excited about the new ride we can't talk about?" (Yes, a cast member actually said this.)

Well, talk about it they did during a brief presentation at the restaurant in San Marco. Carl Lum, the park's president, and Larry Giles, attractions, did finally spill the beans about Tempesto, the park's new ride for 2015, which will open on April 25. The new Premier coaster even has a back story. Famed Italian daredevil Tempesto visited Busch Gardens, and left behind his "greatest stunt" to challenge future daredevils at the park. In fact, the park will be sponsoring a contest for passholders to see who will be the first 500 daredevils to take on Tempesto (details to come later).

Many of you have probably already seen the "leaked" Web page with the ride's vital statistics--which is now "official." Larry Giles promised that this "154-foot high-speed inversion" ride would be "the most intense ride in the park." Based on my experience with Premier rides, I think he's probably right. They were testing the ride a bit today, too--just "rocking" it back and forth.

So, besides Tempesto and the spiffy new Festhaus toilets, what else is going on in 2015? The park is celebrating its 40th anniversary, and there will be signs all over the place telling the park's history (for example, marking where old rides used to be). There's a new ice cream parlor in France with a greatly expanded menu and Ghirardelli chocolate (this is nearly as exciting as Tempesto ;) ). And, of course, let's not forget the new booths at the Food and Wine Festival (French Quarter and Far East). No details on Howl-o-Scream or Christmas Town yet, although Carl did mention that the latter event was a huge success last year. The Festhaus's two shows, Entwined and This is Oktoberfest, are being replaced with something called Roll Out the Barrel. Speaking of Germany, the park will be holding a German beer tasting event this fall, too (I'm sure this will interest many TPR members--they know who they are).

Let's take a look at Passholder Preview Day.
001.jpg
What's that hiding behind Apollo's Chariot?
002.jpg
Happy 40th Anniversary, Busch Gardens!
003.jpg
There was quite a crowd waiting to see the presentation in San Marco. They opened Forest of Fun a bit early (at least there were people riding the Elmo's Spire frog-hopper).
004.jpg
Hmm--a mystery basket.
005.jpg
Carl Lum joked around with the crowd: "It's a cellphone tower, not a ride!"
006.jpg
But Larry Giles set everything straight.
007.jpg
They also threw 40th-anniversary t shirts into the crowd. They had the logos of old attractions, such as the Big Bad Wolf, printed on them.
008.jpg
And we got free gelato--yay!
009.jpg
So, what about this Tempesto character?
010.jpg
He seems to be a very mysterious figure . . .
011.jpg
. . . much like the Ghost Rider.
012.jpg
Construction walls are still up.
013.jpg
You can see what appears to be an entrance plaza with a flag pole from Apollo's Chariot. The whole area should be very nice once they've finished it. In addition, the nose cone for the train hasn't been attached yet (it was sitting in the station).
014.jpg
Tempesto has the power to make the sun explode!
015.jpg
If you have some rosary beads, you might be clutching them very tightly at this point.
016.jpg
I'm rather fond of non-inverting loops. Nice to see one in Williamsburg.
017.jpg
That looks so wrong--yet so right.
018.jpg
Larry Giles promised that you'll be terrified here . . .
019.jpg
. . . especially if you're in the front row.
020.jpg
This ride does seem to have its share of "OMG" and "WTF" moments.
021.jpg
What if you're not daring enough for Tempesto's intensity?
022.jpg
Well, there's always Verbolten, which is plenty intense itself.
023.jpg
Easter eggs? Mad King Ludwig will be displeased!
024.jpg
Griffon doing its thing.
025.jpg
"Tempesto? Who is this upstart? The Loch Ness Monster will not yield!"
026.jpg
"Don't mind Nessie, Tempesto. She's kind of old and grouchy."
027.jpg
You could take a nice, relaxing boat or train ride . . .
028.jpg
. . . oh, screw that! ;)
029.jpg
I didn't try the new ice-cream parlor today, but it drew a pretty good crowd.
030.jpg
Looks nice inside, too. There's extra seating out back (none inside). The sundae menu looked very enticing, and I'll definitely try it later this season--like maybe next week. ;)
031.jpg
Bye bye, old ice-cream shop. I wonder what will move in there?
032.jpg
Of course, you might want to have your ice cream after riding Griffon
033.jpg
Well, see you later, Tempesto.
034.jpg
Looking forward to feeling that intense launch in April.
035.jpg
"Hello? I'm here, too. Hello?"
036.jpg
"Yes, I, the Escape from Pompeii, exist as well!"
037.jpg
Can Tempesto do this? I think not!"
038.jpg
Time to head home via England.
039.jpg
I'm sure they'll find plenty of daredevils.
040.jpg
Tempesto says, "Y'all come in April." Only he says it in Italian ("Venite tutti"). Thanks for reading.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby tanthonyam » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:03 pm

April 25th opening? Hmmm, Well I plan on being there Friday the 24th. Maybe there will be a soft opening? Has Busch ever done this?

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Derek_Zoolander » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks for the photos, they're well done. Tempesto looks nice out of context, but the last shot of it crowding Apollo's lift makes me cringe - I fail to understand why this was the prime location to plop down a ride clone with a diminutive footprint. Excuse me while I pray for a fresh coat of paint on Apollo's Chariot.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:34 pm

tanthonyam wrote:April 25th opening? Hmmm, Well I plan on being there Friday the 24th. Maybe there will be a soft opening? Has Busch ever done this?

Almost never.

^I think Tempesto fits in pretty well where it is (I'm curious to see the ride's entrance plaza when they finish it). I agree that Apollo's Chariot could use a fresh coat of paint, though.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for the update as always, Chuck!

Put me in the category that isn't fond of Tempesto's location - it just makes the 'most beautiful park in the world' look like a Six Flags from the parking lot with coasters stacked on top of each other.

However, hopefully Tempesto will bring a repaint for Apollo's Chariot and a whole refresh for the Fiesta Italia area as it has really needed a general spruce up lately.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!