Photo TR: Coasters and Culture of the UAE!

PART 7: Heritage Village, Old Souqs, and Sparky's Dubai!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Photo TR: Coasters and Culture of the UAE!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:45 pm

PART 2: Fun City at Marina Mall, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center, and ALL THREE Sparky's FECs in Abu Dhabi

And on we go! This is the conclusion of the first full day of our trip. All-in-all, we visited three Emirates (Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi), two major cultural sites, five indoor FECs at five separate malls, and added seven credits to our list! That's one hell of a day, especially with it being the day after a fifteen hour flight!

After our tour of the Emirates Palace, we made the short drive over to Marina Mall, home of Fun City and Shark Coaster. After how wonderful Adventureland had been a few hours ago, I was really disappointed by Fun City. It wasn't a very nice FEC, and Shark Coaster was pretty terrible. However, the mall itself was the nicest one of the day.

After a few spins on the coaster and a quick lunch, we checked into our hotel and went to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center (SZGMC) for a 5:00 tour. Initially, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy touring a mosque, but this place is SPECTACULAR. The free tour is a bit long and winded, but you really do learn a lot about SZGMC, mosques, and Islam. As much as I'd love to spit out all of the details about SZGMC, that would spoil the whole tour for all of you! You truly haven't been to Abu Dhabi until you've been here!

Then it was back to coasters for a "Sparky's marathon." We visited the Mushrif Mall, Khalidiyah Mall, and Mazyad Mall locations. First, Mushrif; I believe this was the largest of all of the Sparky's that we visited, and was a half-decent FEC. Khalidiyah's Sparky's was the nicest of the three in Abu Dhabi. It's also home to one of the coasters that TPR broke (the creatively named Roller Coaster), which was an okay ride. Mazyad's Sparky's was one of the worst FECs I've visited to date. It's small, run-down, and the coaster is simply terrible.

On to the pictures! I hope you all enjoy! :) Some of the following pictures were taken by my trip companion, Keith Kelly. All of these pictures are marked (KK).
P2280083.JPG
Welcome to Marina Mall! First thing we noticed was a Mercedes dealership. I guess you can truly buy EVERYTHING in UAE malls! (KK)
P2280084.JPG
But our main goal here is Shark Coaster! (KK)
P2280086.JPG
I rode it again to use up the credits on our Fun City card. (KK)
P2280087.JPG
This coaster isn't worth going out of the way to ride, honestly. It is unique, though. (KK)
P2280088.JPG
I regretted my second ride... (KK)
DSCN0088.JPG
I did enjoy the look of this fountain in the mall.
DSCN0093.JPG
Onto the SZGMC!
DSCN0098.JPG
It's a BEAUTIFUL mosque!
DSCN0101.JPG
Trying to be artsy.
DSCN0106.JPG
Sometimes, the courtyard is filled with people praying. I can't imagine how many people it takes to fill this place!
DSCN0110.JPG
The attention to detail here is incredible! They truly went all-out when they designed and built it!
P2280100.JPG
I love this picture of the Wing. (KK)
DSCN0115.JPG
The gardens around the mosque are well taken care of.
DSCN0116.JPG
These towers are very cool! They light up the mosque differently depending on the phase of the Moon!
DSCN0123.JPG
You can see the individual marble tiles on the courtyard floor. All of these were laid by hand!
DSCN0130.JPG
The entry area is simply gorgeous. I'm already in awe of the craftsmanship, and we're not even to the main prayer room yet!
DSCN0133.JPG
These flowers were designed by a British artist. I can't remember what his name is, though.
DSCN0135.JPG
Their custom clock lists all of the prayer times and ranges for the five daily prayers.
DSCN0137.JPG
The prayer room blew me away with its beauty!
DSCN0145.JPG
This indent on the wall points to Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest Islamic site. All Muslims pray in the direction of the site. If you stay in a hotel in this part of the world, look at the ceiling! You'll see an arrow that points to it!
DSCN0146.JPG
Again, the detail is simply incredible.
DSCN0160.JPG
This was the world's largest chandelier when it was purchased.
DSCN0148.JPG
It's so big that there's stairs for the cleaners to access it.
DSCN0151.JPG
More detail.
DSCN0153.JPG
These columns serve a double purpose: elegantly supporting the structure and concealing the A/C unit! Look closely, you can see the fan!
DSCN0156.JPG
This is part of the world's largest single piece of carpet. It weighs 32 tons and is a hand-woven Persian rug.
DSCN0157.JPG
Personally, I think the pattern is ugly, but it's quite a feat!
DSCN0162.JPG
Facing toward one of the secondary prayer rooms.
P2280134.jpg
When we finished our tour, we got to see the mosque partially lit up. (KK)
DSCN0165.JPG
Goodbye, SZGMC! I'll come see you again when I'm back in Abu Dhabi!
DSCN0166.JPG
Time for more coasters! We were greeted by this aquarium upon entering Mushrif Mall.
DSCN0170.JPG
Crazy Twister isn't quite as crazy as you might hope.
DSCN0177.JPG
It's not a terrible ride, though.
DSCN0178.JPG
Some of the cars spun a LOT.
P2280146.JPG
Overview of Crazy Twister. (KK)
P2280147.JPG
Fast foward to Khalidiyah Mall! Here is the coaster that TPR broke! (KK)
P2280149.JPG
Its name is VERY creative. (KK)
P2280151.JPG
It's a decent coaster. The laterals are surprisingly high! (KK)
DSCN0182.JPG
Now to the crappy Sparky's in Mazyad outside of Abu Dhabi.
DSCN0183.JPG
This ride is simply described by one word: crap. Seriously, you can and should skip this one!

Thanks for reading Part 2! Stay tuned for Part 3....YAS WATERWORLD!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:10 am

Great report about a fascinating part of the world--looking forward to seeing more.

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:18 pm

^ Thanks!

And a BIG thanks for the front page feature! =) I can't wait to share the rest of my (and Keith's) incredible trip to such a wonderful country! Yas Waterworld will be posted tomorrow! To keep you all occupied until then, I've linked the TPR video of Roller Coaster at Sparky's FEC in Khalidiyah Mall. Luckily for us, we didn't break it like TPR did!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:52 pm

I would go and visit there, for the temple/mosque architecture, alone.
Having a a few coasters here and there, is cool too. :wink:
But the architecture looks so beautiful and well balanced.
And so ornate, too!

Great "next part" Michael. :b
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:I would go and visit there, for the temple/mosque architecture, alone.
Having a a few coasters here and there, is cool too. :wink:
But the architecture looks so beautiful and well balanced.
And so ornate, too!

Great "next part" Michael. :b

Thanks, Bill! Many of the mosques were absolutely beautiful, especially GSZMC! The only downside to lots of beautiful mosques near your hotel is the prayer calls. When you've got 14 (yes, 14) of them in sight of your hotel, and all of them are calling for sunrise prayer, it can be a little loud in the morning! :p

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Cool report Michael! Glad to see you made it out to that part of the world and can't wait to see the rest of the story.
My MEXICO adventures with TPR and MORE!!!!
TOUCH ME to read along

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby p-sychiatrist » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:39 pm

That mosque is absolutely beautiful, and more interesting than any of the coasters on this trip in my opinion! Awesome report, it's cool to see something like this that doesn't come up often on TPR.
TOP PARKS: Tokyo DisneySea, Knoebels, Disneyland, Holiday World, PortAventura, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
TOP COASTERS: Phantom's Revenge, Phoenix, The Voyage, El Toro, T-Express, X2
TOP DARK RIDES: Journey To The Center of the Earth (TDS), Indiana Jones Adventure (DL), Splash Mountain (TDL), Pirates of the Caribbean (DL), Tower of Terror (WDW), Sindbad's Storybook Voyage (TDS), Spider-Man (IOA), Haunted Mansion (DL & Knoebels)

WORLD'S #1 LOG FLUME ENTHUSIAST

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:50 am

WFChris wrote:Cool report Michael! Glad to see you made it out to that part of the world and can't wait to see the rest of the story.

Thanks! I'm excited to share it! :)

p-sychiatrist wrote:That mosque is absolutely beautiful, and more interesting than any of the coasters on this trip in my opinion! Awesome report, it's cool to see something like this that doesn't come up often on TPR.

Thanks! There's still plenty of culture and coasters coming, so stay tuned! :)

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby coaster-mm » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for the awesome report!
Now I'm really looking forward to our visit to Dubai in May.
Already booked our ticket to Ferrari World and gonna combine it with a visit to the mosque.......should make a great day!

Paul

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:09 am

coaster-mm wrote:Thanks for the awesome report!
Now I'm really looking forward to our visit to Dubai in May.
Already booked our ticket to Ferrari World and gonna combine it with a visit to the mosque.......should make a great day!

Paul

You're welcome! I recommend doing the mosque before Ferrari World. If you can get one, you don't want to miss a night ride on Formula Rossa!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!