Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:56 pm

If the food at BGW's Italian restaurant doesn't tickle your fancy, you might try this Italian joint just down Rt. 60: Doraldo's Ristorante Italiano. I met some friends there for a belated birthday dinner last Saturday night, and it was very good (first time I'd eaten there in years). The fried-calamari appetizer was particularly light and tasty, as was the Chicken Marsala. Each meal also comes with a bowl of very good garlic knots. The Rigatoni Alla Vodka is pretty good, too.

Just get on Rt. 60 as you leave the park, turn left, and go the Shops at Kingmill (on the right). You can't miss it.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:46 pm

^I'm gonna have to keep that in mind next time I'm at Williamsburg, Italian is my favorite.

That being said, anyone visiting Six Flags America or Busch Gardens Tampa should stop by Ledo Pizza. It's a popular pizza chain around MD and some parts of VA, however Tampa has the only one in the state of FL. Besides there awesome pizza, they have a wide variety of Italian food.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:33 pm

BrownStreak wrote:I know you don't want national chains, but I love me some Famous Dave's and they are sparse enough to almost feel like they are not a chain. There used to be one at CP Marina; however, it appears they've been moved into Sand Castle Suites.

I didn't know that they had moved Famous Dave's from the Marina to Sandcastle Suites - when did that happen? Seems like they would lose money that way as I know that the restaurant gets a lot of guests from boaters docking there.

I will say that it would be nice to see a better restaurant go into SS than Breakwater Cafe though - and that is from someone that usually tries to avoid chain restaurants when we are on vacation (save for Carrabba's, TGIFriday's or Famous Dave's). Last year, we went over there exploring and were going to go in and grab an appetizer and some beers and the place wasn't open at like 3:00 in the afternoon during peak season.

Postby jray21 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 pm

cfc wrote:If the food at BGW's Italian restaurant doesn't tickle your fancy, you might try this Italian joint just down Rt. 60: Doraldo's Ristorante Italiano. I met some friends there for a belated birthday dinner last Saturday night, and it was very good (first time I'd eaten there in years). The fried-calamari appetizer was particularly light and tasty, as was the Chicken Marsala. Each meal also comes with a bowl of very good garlic knots. The Rigatoni Alla Vodka is pretty good, too.

Just get on Rt. 60 as you leave the park, turn left, and go the Shops at Kingmill (on the right). You can't miss it.

Garlic knots and Chicken Marsala. I'm there!
Last edited by jray21 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:32 pm.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BigDipper 80 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:15 pm

If you're in the mood for a good hamburger and a glass of craft beer after riding Banshee all day at Kings Island, I highly recommend Flipdaddy's, which is one interstate exit south of the park on Mason-Montgomery Road. Their burgers are very inventive (heck, one of them is called the Chuck Norris) and they have a lot of local Cincinnati beers on tap, including Mad Tree and Rhinegeist.

Directions:
Head south on Kings Island Drive. Continue south onto I-71. Exit the interstate at Exit 19, and turn left to head south on Mason-Montgomery Road. The address is 12071 Mason Montgomery Road,Cincinnati, Ohio 45249.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:22 pm

^Good burger-and-beer joints are always appreciated. Thank you.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:11 pm

I'll add one near Coney Island in Cincinnati: Eli's BBQ. Tiny place, tiny menu, but done exquisitely. Went there for the first time last week.

Directions from Coney Island, on the same road and just about 5 miles away.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Postby jray21 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:22 am

I really need to get out more and visit all of these places. They all sound amazing! Especially the BBQ ones!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:51 pm

The Great Zo wrote:I'll add one near Coney Island in Cincinnati: Eli's BBQ. Tiny place, tiny menu, but done exquisitely. Went there for the first time last week.

Directions from Coney Island, on the same road and just about 5 miles away.

I support this. Tried it last month and it was amazing. They opened one downtown in Findley Market.
DSC_0088.JPG
Front
eli-s-bbq (1).jpg
Seating outside.
eli-s-bbq.jpg
menu
img_1040.jpg
These are delicious too!
l.jpg
This is what i got both times. $8

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:12 pm

BigDipper 80 wrote:If you're in the mood for a good hamburger and a glass of craft beer after riding Banshee all day at Kings Island, I highly recommend Flipdaddy's, which is one interstate exit south of the park on Mason-Montgomery Road. Their burgers are very inventive (heck, one of them is called the Chuck Norris) and they have a lot of local Cincinnati beers on tap, including Mad Tree and Rhinegeist.

Directions:
Head south on Kings Island Drive. Continue south onto I-71. Exit the interstate at Exit 19, and turn left to head south on Mason-Montgomery Road. The address is 12071 Mason Montgomery Road,Cincinnati, Ohio 45249.

Some of those burgers & beers...oh my! Thanks for sharing!

I think that this is the same exit we stayed at for Banshee Bash last year, but we ended up going to Carrabba's as that was right next to our hotels. And you certainly can't go wrong at a Carrabba's!

^ Those BBQ sandwiches also look to die for...wow!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!