Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby leviathanlover » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Canada's Wonderland: Vaughan is one of my favourite cities around Toronto for good food. It's one of the few cities where you can find Asian, European and American food in the same plaza. It's a short drive (if you don't hit traffic) to Vaughan Mills on Rutherford and there is some epic restaurants there. My favourites are Lucky Bamboo, which is a Vietnamese restaurant that has amazing pho noodle soups. Vinnie Zucchinis is also amazing. It's an Italian buffet that is to die for. It's a little pricey ($15-25 bucks depending on the day and time), but you get to stuff your face with amazing food till your stomach explodes. La Taquizza is also pretty good for authentic Mexican food, considering it's Canada. Again all of these restaurants are literally like a 2 minute walk away from each other, and the best thing about them is you can see Behemoth and Leviathan peeking above the buildings out of the windows =)

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:08 am

15 minutes north of Kings Island is Ohio's oldest hotel, The Golden Lamb. It was originally opened in Lebanon in 1803, and has been in its current building since 1815. The hotel has hosted many presidents and other famous people over its 200-plus years, and its upper floors (and hotel rooms) double as museum space for the renowned visitors.

Yes, it fits in this thread -- the hotel aside, The Golden Lamb is also well-known for its restaurant. It's a little higher-end, but if you're into history and well-prepared dishes (and one of the best pieces of banana cream pie I've ever found), it's easily worth a visit. I guess the menu could be described as traditional American, but well-adorned and using local sourcing when possible. There are actually two semi-separate restaurants in the same building -- The Golden Lamb (for the pricier entrees) and the Black Horse Tavern (for sandwiches, other less-expensive options, and the bar).

-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby BrownStreak » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:02 am

If you're headed to Martin's Fantasy Island, when leaving take I-190 south across the bridge to I-290, 12 miles total to Duff's, one of the local places in the Buffalo area that has been part of the 'Wing Wars' since the very beginning of Buffalo Wings and my personal favorite...plus you can tell everyone you've been to Tonawanda which is a fun name to say! http://www.duffswings.com/
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:50 am

^ I agree that I prefer Duffs to Anchor Bar, but I have been hearing about some other places in Buffalo that has folks ranking them higher than either...all could be an easy pit stop on the way to MFI, Darien Lake, Niagara Falls or Marineland depending on if you are coming from the south.

La Nova - I have not had their wings, but I have read pretty good reviews about them. I believe that they are more of a carry-out/delivery place though - La Nova

Bocce Club Pizza - I hear their pizza is killer, but that they also have good wings - Bocce

Gabriel's Gate - A really cool bar on Franklin of which I had heard good things about their wings, but I thought they were not properly cooked in true Buffalo fashion. A bit of a disappointment. - Gabriel's Gate

716 bar - Mammoth new sports bar that recently opened down by the Sabres ice hockey arena. We tried to go one day in the mid-afternoon but there was a two hour wait. I heard they have good wings (and several other Buffalo specialties like Beef On Weck, Stuffed Banana Peppers & Buffalo Mac & Cheese), but I will wait for the popularity to die down before I try again - 716

We instead opted for Lagerhaus 95 and they had Spaten on draft (A BIG draw for me!) and the food wasn't too shabby either. I did not try their wings & opted for their Hendl Schnitzel instead. The homemade mustard is OMG good! - Lagerhaus 95

Edit - tried to upload two photos, but the uploader doesn't appear to be working at the moment - will try again later.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby SingleRiderCam » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:11 pm

I'll just mention this place as the owner of it, Mike Hardin, has recently died, but Hodad's is a great burger place that is a few minutes from SeaWorld San Diego and Belmont Park.
Favorite Steel- 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 325 3.Twisted Colossus 4.Maverick 5.Storm Chaser
Favorite Wooden- 1.Lightning Rod 2.The Voyage 3.Phoenix 4.GhostRider 5.Mystic Timbers
Favorite Parks- 1.Disneyland 2.Dollywood 3.Epcot 4.Unviersal's Islands of Adventure 5.Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Another good spot for breakfast or lunch in Williamsburg is Shorty's Diner. It's located in what used to be a Pizza Hut on Merrimac Trail (aka Rt. 143).

Although I prefer the Five Forks Cafe, Shorty's is very good and very popular with locals. It's also closer to Busch Gardens than Five Forks is. They serve breakfast all day, but are open only from 6:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Country Fried Steak, anyone?

Address
Shorty's Diner
627 Merrimac Trail (in the James-York Plaza)
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Last edited by cfc on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:26 pm.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:46 pm

I hadn't seen this thread before. But man, what a fantastic idea for a thread. Very informative.

Thanks TPR folks...

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Down in the Pigeon Forge area, I was quite a fan of The Diner in Seiverville. When you go there, you really feel like you've transported back to the '50s. The food is great, and there's a VERY extensive menu (my personal favorite is the Elk Burger). The milkshakes are amazing, and they give you enough for two!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby jacksoro2 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:10 pm

I went to the DMV area at the end of October to get in coasters before some parks closed and I got a chance to go to Ben's Chili Bowl when I left SFA. Although it's not right around the corner it was close enough and the food was good enough to make the trip worth it. Maybe I'm greedy as hell but I went back and ordered seconds that day.
a href="http://coaster-count.com/user/1252/ridden"

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby BrownStreak » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Jew wrote:I'll add Portillo's to the list for Knott's Berry Farm. One of only two in CA of this famous Chicago chain happens to be in the Buena Park Mall right across from Knott's. Fantastic hot dogs! And fries! And shakes!

Do the CA versions have the delicious Italian Beef?
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!