Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby UberBeavis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 pm

Outside of Universal Studios Hollywood, just around the corner is an excellent Italian restaurant, Miceli's.
Just North of Universal, on Lankershim Blvd. - or one Red Line Subway stop away, near North Hollywood Station is an excellent bar- the Federal Bar- they've got beer floats that are excellent, and really good food, too.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 am

tarheel1231 wrote:If your in Charlotte for Carowinds and you decide to go downtown, make sure to try Fuel's Pizza. It's so good!

You're not the first person from NC I've heard raving about this place but I have to admit I thought it was terrible. I don't mean to be a New York pizza snob but with very few exceptions pizza just isn't worth getting if you're not in the New York or Chicago (in the U.S.).

The only way to pull off Pizza outside of those areas seems to be to do something a little different. The problems is that everyone tries (and fails) to copy New York or Chicago Pizza instead of putting their own twist on it and they can't duplicate it. I don't know why, some people say it's the water... the elevation... whatever, but nobody can duplicate it.

The only Pizza I've ever had outside of the New York or Chicago area that I've enjoyed are Grotto Pizza in Delaware (it sucks in Pennsylavnia but it's great in Delaware). They put their own twist on it and it worked out great for them, and Cesari's at Knoebels. Cesari's is very much a NY style pizza but for some reason it's good anyway... probably because the food at Knoebels defies the laws of nature and is always amazing.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:09 pm

EDIT: Well, so much for Sapori. They're out of business, at least in Williamsburg.

A new Italian place opened up over in New Town, which is a development bordered by Monticello Ave. in Williamsburg: Sapori Restaurante Italiano. I've eaten there twice, and both meals were great. I tried the Gnocchi Pepe Nero last night, which is gnocchi in a bourbon peppercorn cream with sliced ribeye on top, and it was excellent. The Beef and Sausage Cannelloni is good, too, as are their warm out-of-the-oven rolls and Calamari.

Address
4903 Courthouse St, New Town
Williamsburg, VA

Directions from BGW
Leave the park via Rt. 60 toward Williamsburg.
Turn right and enter Rt. 199 West (toward Jamestown and Williamsburg)
Exit at Monticello Ave, and turn right.
Turn left on Courthouse St.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:02 pm.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 am

If you are vacationing in Orlando close to the Disney resorts, we found a wonderful Italian restaurant on our last day in Florida on the Irlo Bronson Hwy (or 192). This place had really good garlic bread and the pasta and calzone were VERY good!

I Googled the restaurant because I wanted to post the link, but the website (and menu page) seem to be down at the moment.
Florida_March_2014 583.JPG
Little Italy - near the former Arabian Nights attraction on Irlo Bronson.
Florida_March_2014 584.JPG
Having authentic Italian beer (that isn't Peroni) is always a plus, and the garlic bread was presented in a unique way - quite tasty.
Florida_March_2014 585.JPG
This is (part of) their calzone. Most of the crust was light and flaky...not too heavy or overly bready, which is just how I like it. Ingredients of ham, salami, pepperoni and fresh mozzarella added a nice balance of flavor.
Florida_March_2014 586.JPG
And this was my spaghetti carbonara with a decent dose of bacon nuggets. Very excellent meal, although I have to admit that our visit to Carrabba's on the previous Monday was ridiculously awesome too! But if you are looking for a nice, reasonably priced (non-chain) Italian restaurant in the Kissimmee area, I certainly would recommend Little Italy!

Postby jray21 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:52 pm

That looks super greasy, oily, cheesy, and AMAZING! ;)

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:45 am

Time for a thread bump...

If you are visiting Cedar Point and want a huge, reasonably priced awesome breakfast, get in the car and head South from Sandusky on Rt. 250 and after about 12 miles, take a left to a small town called Milan - which just also happens to be the birth place of a Mr. Thomas Edison.

Right in the center of town is a quaint, greasy spoon aptly named Invention Restaurant. Obviously named for the great electrical pioneer, they are also named this for another reason...their own crazy invention: Trash Hash!

There is enough on one of these plates to probably feed a family of four. Reasonably priced at about $7.50, you aren't going to get a better deal (or meal) at the local Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel or Denny's.

I could not finish half of mine, but was able to stick it in the cooler and bring the rest home...for another two meals!!

If you don't like the quality of food (or prices) at Cedar Point and want to fill your tummy before you head for the coasters, I would highly recommend taking the ride down to Milan to check this place out. It is well worth the drive and has probably become the new "must-do" for us anytime we visit CP in the future.

Here is the menu link---> Menu
092.JPG
Here is the restaurant on the corner. Looked kinda sketchy from the outside, but do not let that make you change your mind...this place is awesome!
086.JPG
This guy is sorta well known.
087.JPG
When we first visited CP in May, I went with the Trash Hash plus which includes bacon, ham and sausage for about $8. This is basically hash browned potatoes with mushrooms, onions, peppers, cheese and meat. And they do not skimp on anything, including lots of fresh cooked, crispy bacon!
088.JPG
Michael got a gooey omelet, home fries & toast for about $6....also huge!
089.JPG
As you can see, I made it through about half and had to force myself to stop in order to keep from being very uncomfortable. The leftovers were equally impressive though!
029.JPG
During our second visit in June, I went with the veggie only (trying to be good). Still ended up bringing half of it home with me.
090.JPG
The dessert in the cast iron skillet is like a fruit crumble cake that the owner makes herself from a passed down family recipe. It looked awesome, but no way I had any room left in my stomach for any more food!
027.JPG
Nothing fancy, but this place has really great food at decent prices with huge servings. Highly recommended!
091.JPG
Right on the corner of downtown Milan - Invention Restaurant.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby amy_mel » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 am

These are a little bit of a drive from Hersheypark but both are well worth the drive. Owned by the same family and they have similar menus. The first is in Harrisburg on Second St called The Firehouse. It's in an old firehouse. The other is on the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg called Black n Bleu. Haven't had a bad meal yet, huge portions (the half order is more than enough when available), and everything is fresh.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:48 am

Just outside California's Great America is the House of Bagels. They have the best bagels I've had in California.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Skyrush
Most Recent Trip Reports- Yas Waterworld & IMG Worlds of Adventure

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Interesting thread. One of our favourites locally is Ocean Zen, a brilliant Asian fusion restaurant in south Springfield. Much too far from SDC to recommend for lunch, but dinner after the park closes is definitely doable. https://www.eatoceanzen.com/ocean_zen.php

From Silver Dollar City, you'll make a left from Indian Point Rd. to Mo-76 and take that to Branson West, then right on Mo-13. Follow 13 all the way into Springfield (about 30 miles), where it will become Campbell Ave. Make a right on Battlefield Rd., and it's just a couple of blocks east on your right. Lunch prices ~$10-15 a plate, dinner ~$15-30. Full bar, great sushi menu.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:22 pm

If you're looking for some fine French cuisine after your visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg (the Smokehouse doesn't count), you might want to check out Le Yaca over in the High Street development off Richmond Road.

It's a bit pricey for Williamsburg. A dinner entree can run you anywhere from $28 to $50 ala carte, but everything is made fresh. The menu is seasonal, and they offer a very nice three-course lunch for $17, a three-course dinner for $38, and a four-course brunch on Sundays for $27.50. The desserts are very good.

Here's an idea of the food they serve there.

Like I said, it's a bit chi chi, especially for the theme-park crowd. But if you're looking for something fancier than a burger, you can't go wrong at Le Yaca.

Address
Le Yaca Restaurant Francais
1430 High Street
Williamsburg, VA 23188
757-220-3616

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!