TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

OPENING DATE FOR VOYAGE TO THE IRON REEF ANNOUNCED!

Knott’s Berry Farm is proud to announce the opening date for its ground breaking attraction, Voyage To The Iron Reef. The brand new interactive 4-D ride will surface on May 15, 2015!

Never-before-seen footage! See the first glimpse of the mysterious forces that lay beneath the Boardwalk by watching this short clip.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKG2miA2YY

Voyage to the Iron Reef will be a spectacular new interactive 4-D attraction for the entire family. Save Knott’s from mysterious creatures emerging from the seas beneath the Boardwalk in a cutting edge media-based battle. Through enchanting underwater forests, disorienting ocean current tunnels, and mysterious mechanical wreckage, high definition 3-D animation will surround guests at every turn.

Guests who have what it takes to become brave deep sea navigators will climb aboard submarine-inspired ride vehicles and embark on an adventure into the Iron Reef that combines the fun of a theme park ride with the interactivity of high tech video games. The submarines will navigate 600 feet of track and 11 colossal scenes featuring hundreds of media-based creatures and live action special effects.

The interactive voyage features a different experience every time and reacts to the actions and accuracy of the guests onboard. Riders will aim their freeze rays at ballooning mechanical puffer fish, an iron clad octopus and other exciting 3-D creatures as they compete against their friends and family to blast the most sea life and save Knott’s from a watery doom. The number of creatures taken is digitally displayed onboard and in the undock area – players with the highest score will be entered into the Iron Reef’s Hall Of Fame.

More information and updates regarding the spectacular new interactive 4-D attraction are still to come in the weeks and months ahead, please stay tuned!

Join the conversation by using #KnottsIronReef

The rendering of the sea creature looks rough...but I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now in assuming Knott's just told the company "send us something for a promo...we don't care if it isn't finished" like they do for movie trailers.

I will be heading up to Cali this summer and I am certainly looking forward to this.

I rode Wonder Mountain's Guardian in the summer and I actually found it to be quite fun so I have my expectations high for this ride as I assume that it will be a step up.

What you guys are seeing on the preview is likely what you'll be getting. Keep in mind that it's basically a large interactive video game and the scene will be rendered in real-time. I think it will look a lot better though in HD and in person. It should be a lot of fun.

It might even be better than Transformers

I really hope that is just a temporary rendering in the promo. If that's the final appearance, this ride isn't going to look very good at all.

I think I've said it before, but while I'm still interested to see how Voyage to the Iron Reef is, my excitement for the ride has pretty much disappeared. I'm not a huge fan of screen based attractions, and this one appears to be 100% screen based (no sets or anything). I'm sure it will be popular with the public and I'm hoping the ride surprises me, but I just have a feeling it's going to be a bit underwhelming. I guess we'll find out in May.

The concept for the ride is one of the most original and fun ones I've heard of before. Hopefully the execution is there, however, looking at how Wonder Mountain turned out, I'm hoping this one will be a step up.

The only thing that saves WMG from being a bad ride is the drop track. The projectors brightness was always way to low, the sounds of the guns was super loud (to the point that you couldn't here any of the narration or background music), trains moved wayyyy to fast to actually hit anything with accuracy and not to mention how unfinished the station looked.

Voyage is going to need to be 100 steps up!

• 2 weeks later...

^I'm one of those "same people," and I think a hyper or a giga would be a mistake for Knott's, too. Never cared for what Silver Bullet did to Ghost Town.

Edited by cfc

I'm now a certified Ride Op on Silver Bullet! So, ask me questions if you want and I might actually know the answer.

Congrats! Bullet was one of the rides I wanted to get cross trained to after Ghostrider went down because of the fear of going back down to Fiesta lol. Also if anyone is curious; Ghostrider is scheduled to go back up next Thursday...at least so we're told.

^Yeah, I've got a question.

Why does Silver Bullet ruin the whole freakin' area around it?

I wouldn't say it ruins the whole area around it...everything is just a mess of supports and track. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed many times before so I won't say much lol but IMO it's the fact that the lift supports are red is what throws me off for some reason. I mean, would you rather not have Silver Bullet?

In my opinion, Silver Bullet is a solid middle-tier B&M Invert. It's not my favorite ride at Knott's, but still one I enjoy and ride once or twice per visit.

I'm now a certified Ride Op on Silver Bullet! So, ask me questions if you want and I might actually know the answer.

If I were a ride op at the park, Silver Bullet and Xcelerator would probably be my top choices to work (if I had a choice, that is). Both seem like they tend to have the best crews in the park (at least among the coasters) and as the rides are popular you'd get to see a lot of reactions. Perhaps I'll see you next time I visit the park (though I probably won't realize I did).

Montezooma's Revenge was the first ever inverted coaster I ever road on in my life, so that has plenty of great memories for me.

I was always a vertically challenged (short). I remember as a child, I would literally cry and be upset because I was too short to go on the most awesome looking coasters. It was an awesome day when I was able to go on the inverted coasters, first starting with Montezooma's Revenge. Next was the Corkscrew at KBF. It's a fun memory that I've been able to ride Corkscrew at KBF many years ago, and again at the local theme park, Silverwood.