TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

With the addition of "New Mantis" as I call it, I don't think it's a good idea for the park to put in a Dive Machine because they are similar. I'm not saying floorless coasters and Dive Machines are exactly the same but they have similar features. To me, it'd be pointless to put in a Dive Machine along with Rougarou.

Did I miss the memo where Rougarou will have 90-degree drops from a holding brake?? My only point is that I think they're plenty different enough from one another to not be a pointless addition. And as others have mentioned, the GP will love it.....and heck, so will I if one is added! The only dive machine I've been on is Griffon, and I absolutely loved it!! Was it an "automatic Top-10 coaster"? Nope, but it was one that I found to be a blast to ride each and every time!

So way back when last off season I think, during an off season tour or something I remeber something along the lines of a park official dropping a clue for the parks future that "coasters are in our D.N.A" or something like that. So could Dive be the first letter of this clue?

Please don't start this again. PLEASE. That's overthinking it WAY too much.

For the people saying that Rougarou will be too similar to a dive machine because they're both floorless remember we are dealing with the same company who spent 50 million at Canada's Wonderland and 50 million at Carowinds building 2 of the same rides. A dive machine would be much different from Rougarou compared to the hyper/giga additions at Wonderland and Carowinds.

I think it's a good fit for CP. 2016 should also be the year for KD's next big one too.

Did I miss the memo where Rougarou will have 90-degree drops from a holding brake??

Absolutely. The major thrill element here is being held at the top and staring straight down which would set it apart from every other coaster in the park and will be a major attraction for riders and spectators. Enthusiasts think nothing of this but most people think it's awesome and / or terrifying. If this is true then I think it's a great addition.

With the addition of "New Mantis" as I call it, I don't think it's a good idea for the park to put in a Dive Machine because they are similar. I'm not saying floorless coasters and Dive Machines are exactly the same but they have similar features. To me, it'd be pointless to put in a Dive Machine along with Rougarou.

I don't even see a resemblance between the two. The Dive Machine is over 220 feet tall and has a vertical drop, short and wide trains, and will go 80 MPH into a tunnel. I've been wanting a drop coaster at Cedar Point for a while. One of the most exciting prospects is seeing how the addition of a Dive Machine would divide up the lines for Maverick, Dragster, and Millennium.

Looking through the dive machines, this would be the tallest and fastest - what about inversions?

Should CP close the Turnpike cars, what will become of them? If they auction them or sell them I definitely want one. Do any other Cedar Fair parks have similar Turnpike cars? If any CP insiders get wind of the planned disposition of these cars, a head's up would be greatly appreciated.

My gut feeling would also be that Turnpike cars gets the boot and Cadillac Cars stays. It looks like Road Rally at Dorney uses similar cars (though they're a little different.. they seem to have a mix of cars) so I would expect them to mix some of them in over there or at least use them for parts assuming this happens.

Cedar Point

Dorney

Cedar Point's 2016 coaster leaked? WKYC 3 reports a B&M Dive Coaster could be the next big ride in Sandusky! Click: http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/features/2015/01/14/cedar-point--dive-coaster-plans-found-in-memo/21751605/image.jpg.9c65529f362616bf34fafcf9c86e0f21.jpg

SANDUSKY -- When bulldozers began rumbling for demolition of the Good Time Theatre at Cedar Point, coaster enthusiasts started buzzing.

What would take up the land once held by the massive theater?

We now have our first hint…

The Sandusky Register says they obtained a memo that originated from a coaster company, which indicates a $15 million Dive Coaster is among the park's plans for 2016.

The memo, which reportedly comes from Bollinger & Mabillard, the same company that created Cedar Point's GateKeeper winged coaster, reveals the attraction would be a record-breaker.

According to the Sandusky Register, the coaster would reach a height of 223 feet with a vertical drop that will plummet through a tunnel. The ride's total length would be 3,625 feet with speeds up to 80 mph.

Below you can watch footage of a Dive Coaster in action (mobile users WATCH HERE). NOTE: This is only an example of a Dive Coaster. Cedar Point's version, if the memo is true, will be a much different experience.

At that height, it would become Cedar Point's third-tallest roller coaster – just above Magnum, but below Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force.

B&M says a Dive Coaster creates a unique ride experience based on the train configurations as passengers are seated in six, eight or 10-passenger wide vehicles.

Cedar Point did not respond to our request for a comment on this matter at the time of publication, but park spokesperson Bryan Edwards told the Register this possibility is just one "of many" things the park is considering for 2016. For now, they are focused on transitioning the Mantis stand-up coaster into the sit-down floorless Rougarou for the 2015 season.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be] Edited by robbalvey

If this is true this is great news! I love how intimidating Sheikra looks in BGT's skyline, I don't think this will have quite the impact on CP's skyline because of TTD and MF but I'm sure it'll still be amazing!

The Dive Machines seem to be one of B&M's only models that haven't lacked the old school intensity in recent years. Of course Banshee was a nice return to form for B&M!

I just noticed that this would be about 500 hundred feet longer than any other Dive Machine built so far. I wonder what they will do with the longer track length?

At first I wasn't too excited about the idea of a dive machine, but assuming the proposal from the news paper is true, I definitely am very excited! Just for fun I drew up (on paint) a fake layout.

Basically in my renderings the theater and both car rides are removed (Dorney Park gets the old car rides of course.) Calypso is relocated to make room for the coaster's queue and station. It is relocated to where the skyride plaza and marina entrance meet up. The area around the queue and station is remodeled in ordinary CF style, which includes lockers, gift shop, and a food stand.

The coaster departs the station and makes a 180 degree turn to the right. It then climbs the 233' lift hill at as steep angle. Once to the top it then makes a turn to the right where a holding break teases rides looking straight down into a tunnel which travels under the marina entrance. The coaster reaches its top speed of 80mph right before flying through a large immelman loop. Next, the train soars back down towards the ground right before entering a 360 degree overbanked turn (similar to Sheikra.) From there you now enter the midcourse brakes. Next is a second 90 degree drop the dives under a splash pool which teases the riders into thinking they're going under water. After the tunnel you encounter a second inversion this time a diving loop. After that the track twists its way through an overbanked turn to the left which ends up flipping riders upside down and then through a downwards spiral to the right. The rides grand finale is speeding through a splash pond where onlookers get the chance to interact with the ride by getting soaked by the trains massive splash. After that the train heavily banks and turns to the left low to the ground. Next are a few airtime hills with slight banking right before entering the final brakerun.

dive.PNG.f9c365484a3bfffa32a674705b6286d2.PNG

^Heck I'm already in if they do a D10 train with a Zero G like Gardaland Oblivion. But a Dive for Cedar Point? I need to have a lay-out in front of me to get me excited on that thought, I mean I like dives but Cedar Point seems like a park that needs some more then just a 90 degree drop.

The article says that the length is going to be 3635 feet - thats 400 ft. longer than SheiKra and 500 ft. longer than Griffon. That seems like enough for maybe an extra element but I wouldn't expect the layout to be too radically different from what we've already seen.

Looking through the dive machines, this would be the tallest and fastest - what about inversions?

Yes, yes, and yes. This dive would take the record from Diving Coaster at Happy Valley (which is 10 feet smaller than this one). I'm assuming this would be faster than Diving Coaster since that's a ten-seater and this would be an eight-seater. Also the record for inversions is 2 (unless Baron 1898 has more). So the park could market this as the world's tallest and fastest dive coaster.