TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I agree with everyone that a dive coaster wouldn't fit. I've only been on Griffon, but the only thing I felt it had going was the first drop, but then I still prefer Millennium Force's first drop more. Sure we don't have a vertical drop but we already have a beyond vertical drop on Maverick, & the unique drop of Gatekeeper. A vertical drop doesn't seem necessary to me, I guess they're just other types of coasters I'd personally like to see at Cedar Point before a dive coaster. Any new coaster I'm still gonna ride and have fun.

Taking into account only inflation Griffon would be about $17.1 million today. So if it is in fact a serious proposal we could be seeing something shorter/smaller.

While it isn't something that I would say CP needs, I am sure it would be a huge hit with the gp. Personally I would love to see a nice twisty GCI.

I can see how a Dive Coaster would not be that marketable when Dragster basically does the same thing from 420 feet, and includes a twist but there's no denying B&M's Dive Coasters are a real people eater, which is something CP needs.

Despite its short length I love Griffon.

However, it never did specify B&M. It could be something else completely with the diving aspect.
Did you even read the article........it clearly stated: "A memo from Bolliger & Mabillard, based in Switzerland, appears to detail a new $15 million coaster tagged in the memo as The Dive Coaster."

While a Dive Coaster would be an odd choice for Cedar Point, it would probably be quite popular with the general public. It's different from any other coaster at the park and there isn't anything like it in the Midwest. My only experience with one was Griffon, but I thought that ride was excellent (it's in my top 25 steel). If the car rides were removed as well, you could probably fit a Sheikra clone in that space, which would be a good size for the coaster, but given the stated price I'm guessing it would need to be a bit smaller than that (though probably not as small as Krake).

I'm now curious as to which Cedar Fair parks will get the coasters next year. I've been thinking that Canada's Wonderland would get the big coaster and one of the second tier Cedar Fair parks would get a smaller coaster, but if Cedar Point gets a Dive Coaster it seems unlikely Canada's Wonderland would get a big coaster as well (although it has happened before). In any case, neither of those parks really seem like they need a new coaster at this time (Kings Dominion, Worlds of Fun, and to a lesser extent Dorney Park seem like they could benefit most from one).

I'm a fan of dive machines, so I wouldn't complain about getting one. BUT it is one of many proposals. I'd take this with a grain of salt for now.

Exactly. What this says is that they still don't know what they plan on building for 2016, but a dive machine is one of the options. But depending on how far they are with the proposals, it could give us an idea on what they are looking for in a new ride. Right now it sounds like they are going to numerous companies and seeing what they can come up with.

I believe the theater is right next to that car ride, so those are probably getting the boot if it is true. I enjoyed Griffin at Busch Gardens so any coaster addition is a good one.

Wrong side.

This was in the article also........Make sure you get your last rides in on the last few family rides remaining before they're removed after this year. Turnpike cars, Cadillac Cars, dodgem, and calypso will be removed to make room for this new ride!

Losing one of those old Arrow Antique Car rides isn't a huge deal, IMO. Many parks have them, but Cedar Point has three. Fortunately, Cedar Point isn't barren when it comes to flat rides, both family/thrill. A major new flat ride would be nice, and I would prefer something to happen with Mean Streak's plot, but this isn't the worst idea out there. A dark ride might be better suited at this time, as well as a new wooden coaster, but removing the theater (announced) and one of the old car rides (speculation) isn't a bad move, IMO.

I believe the theater is right next to that car ride, so those are probably getting the boot if it is true. I enjoyed Griffin at Busch Gardens so any coaster addition is a good one.

Wrong side.

This was in the article also........Make sure you get your last rides in on the last few family rides remaining before they're removed after this year. Turnpike cars, Cadillac Cars, dodgem, and calypso will be removed to make room for this new ride!

I can see how a Dive Coaster would not be that marketable when Dragster basically does the same thing from 420 feet, and includes a twist but there's no denying B&M's Dive Coasters are a real people eater, which is something CP needs.

Despite its short length I love Griffon.

Cedar Point needs people eaters? What about Rougarou/Mantis, Raptor, GateKeeper, Millennium Force, and Magnum? Even TTD and Maverick are decent capacity coasters.

^I would hardly call any of Cedar Point's Intamin coasters people eaters, especially compared to B&M and Arrow rides. Their capacity is in the 1,000-1,300 range while Cedar Point's B&Ms are 1,600-1,800 riders per hour. That said, Dive Coasters are generally lower capacity than other big B&M coasters (Griffon is the lowest capacity of BGW's B&Ms by a significant margin, and I believe the same is true of SheiKra), and at a park like Cedar Point it could have long lines even on moderately busy days.

While a Dive Coaster would be an odd choice for Cedar Point, it would probably be quite popular with the general public. It's different from any other coaster at the park and there isn't anything like it in the Midwest.

It's an odd choice, yet you just listed 3 reasons why it's a good choice?

It's an odd choice because Cedar Fair hasn't built any yet even though they tend to go with B&M for major coasters and the design has been around for over a decade. However, just because the ride is not something expected definitely doesn't make it bad by default.

Edited by rcdude

However, it never did specify B&M. It could be something else completely with the diving aspect.
Did you even read the article........it clearly stated: "A memo from Bolliger & Mabillard, based in Switzerland, appears to detail a new $15 million coaster tagged in the memo as The Dive Coaster."
I completely read past that. Oops.

Okay so I almost don't want to post this because it's so stupid and so ridiculous but hey we're all entitled to an idiotic, over-the-top, Darien Lake thread worthy post once in awhile right?

Anyway I'm just going to say it... a Poler coaster will probably never show up in an actual park and besides that an Intamin rocket coaster is basically the only way I could see anyone going 500 feet but Cedar Point has one of those. But if any other coaster type could realistically do it, it just might be a dive machine. Why? It could do it with a reasonable footprint and the price could be sort of controlled since the ride could basically drop, do an immelman or something... maybe a throwaway hill like Krake (but obviously larger) and then immediately hit the brake run so it wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot. The holding brake and drop would be the only thrill the ride would need. That might keep costs from being so insane that nobody would ever attempt it. Length (and therefore cost) is a major reason why I would never otherwise envision a non launched 400 or 500 foot traditional coaster in a park but with a dive coaster it might be plausible. Cedar Point had the first 200 foot drop, 300 foot drop and 400 foot drop... just saying.

idea>

Okay, sorry about that. I hope I didn't just open a can of worms nobody wanted open and I acknowledge that:

1) this makes no sense from a financial standpoint

2) nobody cares about the fact that Cedar Point broke those records except enthusiasts

3) this is a ridiculous idea

4) you could never do it for 15 million dollars

5) this is way bigger than anything B&M has ever done and they're a really conservative company

6) This will never happen

But I think it's a fun pipe dream...

Edited by coasterbill

Hey, I have an idea. Why don't Cedar Fair take this $15M Dive coaster and put it in a park that needs it. Like, umm idk

VALLEYFAIR?

Eh, I don't think Valleyfair needs a dive coaster right now. I'd rather have an invert or a floorless coaster.

As for a dive coaster at Cedar Point, it wouldn't be a bad choice, but I think the GP would seeing it as being too similar to Gatekeeper because of the wide trains.

Okay so I almost don't want to post this because it's so stupid and so ridiculous but hey we're all entitled to an idiotic, over-the-top, Darien Lake thread worthy post once in awhile right?

Anyway I'm just going to say it... a Poler coaster will probably never show up in an actual park and besides that an Intamin rocket coaster is basically the only way I could see anyone going 500 feet but Cedar Point has one of those. But if any other coaster type could realistically do it, it just might be a dive machine. Why? It could do it with a reasonable footprint and the price could be sort of controlled since the ride could basically drop, do an immelman or something... maybe a throwaway hill like Krake (but obviously larger) and then immediately hit the brake run so it wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot. The holding brake and drop would be the only thrill the ride would need. That might keep costs from being so insane that nobody would ever attempt it. Length (and therefore cost) is a major reason why I would never otherwise envision a non launched 400 or 500 foot traditional coaster in a park but with a dive coaster it might be plausible. Cedar Point had the first 200 foot drop, 300 foot drop and 400 foot drop... just saying.

idea>

Okay, sorry about that. I hope I didn't just open a can of worms nobody wanted open and I acknowledge that:

1) this makes no sense from a financial standpoint

2) nobody cares about the fact that Cedar Point broke those records except enthusiasts

3) this is a ridiculous idea

4) you could never do it for 15 million dollars

5) this is way bigger than anything B&M has ever done and they're a really conservative company

6) This will never happen

But I think it's a fun pipe dream...

First off, that is a pretty freakin' awesome idea- a 500 foot vertical drop from a holding brake, looking down on CP's landscape...One can dream.

I do however think a giga sized dive coaster would be feasible (not for Cedar Point, just in general). B&M has shown they are willing and very able to work with 300+ feet at a reasonable cost. Considering Dive coasters are generally shorter layouts, more compact (steep lift, vertical drop, etc.), I could see and would love a 300 foot dive (with that in mind, I'm sure the cost could be slightly more affordable than B&M's gigas (~$30 million). Just my two cents.