TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

How anyone could be disappointed in Cheetah Hunt is beyond me. In a park with Kumba and Montu did Cheetah Hunt really need to be Maverick-level intense? I mean, that's what people who call it forceless must have been expecting because when judging it on its own merits it actually has quite a few good forces and even airtime. Forceless or not, it's long, has three launches, a great scenic course, and most of all it's fun. Sorry, I just can't see any merit in complaints about Cheetah Hunt.

I'm quite prone to nausea so I'm not crazy about positive G's, so I'm not bemoaning them not being part of Cheetah. It's more that there is very little airtime, lots of straight track instead of hills, and for all the speed that it gets through three launches, it does very little to every highlight that speed. Speed itself on a rollercoaster is not thrilling, its the sensation of speed. I anticipated a ride of Cheetah Hunt's speed and length having some significant airtime hills, but there was simply very little even vertical action.

Cheetah Hunt is a good ride and it does a good job of filling a demographic in a park that caters to families. I will certainly ride it when I'm at the park, which will be often since my wife and I have passes, but it isn't close to being a top 10 coaster.

Cheetah Hunt is a really good ride, but it just doesn't have enough intensity or thrill to push it into a status of an excellent or great ride. With capacity limitations creating one of the longer waits in the park, the end result just doesn't seem to justify a significant wait when you can ride much better coasters like Kumba, Montu, and Sheikra with substantially less waiting. From the underwhelming first launch to the shell-of-a-Maverick s-turn section, Cheetah Hunt just lacks that extra bit of intensity to push it over the top.

By no means a bad ride as it is incredibly fun and immensely popular with the GP, but Cheetah Hunt just didn't measure up to expectations. I do not think there is a lot of "hate" for it, but simply many enthusiasts expected a little more intensity.

I just don't understand why super intensity=excellent/great ride. It doesn't rip your face off but that doesn't change the fact that it has a unique (and long!!) layout, a very scenic course and a couple of unique features.

Also, I don't understand what straightaway sections are being referred to…I only remember the launch tracks being straight. The rest of the layout has several hills and S-curves.

Edited by OrlandoGuy

Everyone always compares Cheetah Hunt to Maverick and from an enthusiast perspective I understand why as it's the same sort of system and trains but you have to remember that Busch was looking for a Python replacement (48" ride) and that's exactly what Intamin gave them. I talked to Sandor at IAAPA about this very same conversation how people always complain about Cheetah Hunt being too tame and he supports my point saying that it's exactly what Busch Gardens wanted. They didn't want a crazy insane 54" Maverick clone.

I think Cheetah Hunt is pretty damn good--one of the best "family" coasters outside of Disney. It has a number of unique features, and I particularly like the "twisty" bit through the old Rhino Rally river section.

Never understood why so many enthusiasts complain about it; of course, complaining is what many coaster enthusiasts do best.

Never understood why so many enthusiasts complain about it; of course, complaining is what many coaster enthusiasts do best.

Agreed!

It's fun and smooth. Not every coaster has to be the fastest or have all sorts of inversions to be a good coaster but that is what I feel any enthusiasts want. I loved cheetah hunt. Was it my favorite coaster ever? no, but it was fun.

Put me in the camp of those who really like Cheetah Hunt. Yes, their trio of B&M's are better coasters, but I have come to really appriciate the lesser intense coasters that are just pure fun. Also my tolerance for re-riding intense coasters has been somewhat reduced over the last few years, and then coasters like Cheetah Hunt are perfect. I can understand if it was marketed as the star coaster of the park, but it's not and with the other coasters that BGT have it helps balance the offerings of the park.

I love Cheetah Hunt just for its all out fun. I took my parents to BGT for the Christmas buffet at Crown Colony , (which was fantastic for only 16 bucks btw. )But the real story here is that right afterwards we went to Cheetah Hunt. My father is 81 and mom, well, you dont ask a lady her age, absolutely loved it. It has all the right elements for just a fun and very re-rideable coaster. My partner and I wanted to do the drop tower but the line was too long and Mom said no way.so we skipped it. But to my surprise Mom and Dad went back 2 days later just to ride the drop tower but by the time they got there it was down for the day. So they just did Cheetah again . It goes to show, one is never too old and a fun ride is just fun.

It isn't even "for what it is supposed to be" thing. It is, as close in my mind as exists, to an objectively good ride. If you don't enjoy barreling through the canyon portion at high speed, swinging through those banked curves, what are you doing continuing to pour money down the black hole of theme parks? If this is directed to you and you find that insulting, it only is if you want it to be. But do something else. Ski. Whitewater rafting. Scuba. Get a old Mazda Miata and drive recklessly at a club track. Something with a higher adrenaline threshold than roller coasters, because obviously this isn't for you any more.

This just in from Busch Gardens Tampa...

LAST CHANCE TO RIDE GWAZI

Tampa, Fla. (Jan. 9, 2015) – February 1 is the last day for thrill seekers to ride Gwazi® at Busch Gardens® Tampa as the park prepares to permanently close the wooden rollercoaster.

Gwazi opened in 1999 as Florida’s first dueling wooden rollercoaster, providing guests with thrilling and memorable experiences for more than 15 years.

“No decisions have been made about what lies ahead for Gwazi or for the future plans of that area of Busch Gardens,” said Park President Jim Dean. “But, we are always looking for ways to enhance guests’ experiences, so stay tuned for more news.”

Plus, be the first to know about future announcements by following the park’s blog at BuschGardensTampaBlog.com, or “Like” the Busch Gardens Facebook page and follow @buschgardens on Twitter and Instagram.

image.jpg.3c0bb0f6c8bc2e46162b3ead961cdda7.jpg

image.jpg.9eb799c3a8c52d02fd6de5c96c445859.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I think Cheetah Hunt is a great ride and makes great use of the canyon area with the twists. My son can only ride the rides under 54 inches right now and he loves it. Besides, look how long the line for this ride is after being open a few years already. Seems to me it's quite popular despite the complainers out there. As for Gwazi what a shame to see such an impressive looking coaster end in just a short 15 year lifespan. Sure would have been great to see a Rocky Mountain treatment done to it. Look at what that has done for those few rides that were also getting rough.

I think it's amazing to have three pages of "omg it's a great ride defense" when there was one comment about how it's a bit underwhelming.

Kind of sounds like most people have talked themselves into it, no? Admit it, we're coaster enthusiasts and we'd probably rather it be a 54 inch height requirement, 80 MPH, inverted top hat, 2 zero g rolls and airtime hills Maverick-level ride. We all know what Intamin can build.

But it's not, it is a general crowd-pleaser, and it's exactly what the park ordered. That's fine.

I think Cheetah Hunt is a great ride and makes great use of the canyon area with the twists. My son can only ride the rides under 54 inches right now and he loves it. Besides, look how long the line for this ride is after being open a few years already. Seems to me it's quite popular despite the complainers out there. As for Gwazi what a shame to see such an impressive looking coaster end in just a short 15 year lifespan. Sure would have been great to see a Rocky Mountain treatment done to it. Look at what that has done for those few rides that were also getting rough.

The ride's line has more to do with its low capacity than it does its anything else. Not to say it doesn't have wide appeal, because it does, but the longest wait I've had at BGT has always been Gwazi and I don't think many will sing its praises any longer.

Gwazi's long line is attributed to the very long loading/unloading process. I've never seen such a drawn out loading procedure on any ride I've been on. Seems it took 5 minutes at least to get a train dispatched.

+1. Do they intentionally hire the worst employees of all time to work Gwazi, or is it just a coincidence?

There's always the possibility for an RMC refurb. The park said they were considering all options for the coaster, and they didn't say anything about tearing it down just yet.

There's always the possibility for an RMC refurb. The park said they were considering all options for the coaster, and they didn't say anything about tearing it down just yet.

I don't necessarily think it's a good candidate for that type of thing. Rides like the Texas Giant were quite marvelous track designs, sometimes too ambitious for the roughness of a wood coaster to allow all riders to enjoy it. Gwazi wasn't the size or speed of those rides and its track design in the early days was fun simply because of the wood track. This was before it became unbearably rough.

Gwazi used to be my favorite ride in my home park but I can't imagine it being all that great of a ride as a steel ride.