TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Does anyone happen to know the maximum TRACK height of the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars roller coaster? The track length stat is all over (3,600 ft. / 1,100 m) and the speed stat in a few places (35 mph / 56 kph), but the only thing I could find height-wise was the height of the mountain facade, which is 88 feet (a key number in the attraction).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just read this at Screamscape. Hope it's true...

General Park News - (7/14/14) According to the local news the “Finance Committee of Hong Kong's Legislative Council” approved a request for the government to increase their share of ownership in Hong Kong Disneyland, which will in turn, increase the funding for the resort for new projects. The vote was approved 39 to 8.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a 9th Birthday magnet when I was there in June. Thought it was funny that they were celebrating that particular milestone. But then again, it's not like Disney to pass up any opportunities to celebrate an (albeit minor) anniversary!

^ And 4 apparently sounds like death so you won't see that too often in Korean and Japanese parks. It's why the school I work at is on floor F.

Same in China. Some buildings use 3A to represent 4th floor and the gym I am in avoids 4 in locker numbers.

Any update of the Iron Man attraction? I heard people talking about it on the street last week, the locals are very excited about it.

• 1 month later...
^ Yeah, when we were at Disney Sea back in 2007, I bought a 6th Anniversary t-shirt.

Was kind of odd to have, but it's still a nice shirt.

TDS opened on my birthday, so I've bought a birthday button on every visit!

• 1 month later...

Love the set up HKDL has, for a FROZEN Meet and Greet in the park.

Looks nice. And Olaf's there, too!

FrozenMeet-Greet.jpg.443ef354ecf1a129d1c43d64b19aa255.jpg

Not a lot involved, but it still looks nice. Photo from HKDL Main Street Gazette.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hong Kong Disneyland has put out a press release regarding the breaking of ground for the resort's third hotel, the Disney Explorers Lodge, set to open in early 2017. The included release and concept art provides a new look at the hotel's many unique elements!

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort today broke ground on its third hotel, marking another milestone in the continued development of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort as a world-class travel and entertainment destination. Named Disney Explorers Lodge, the new 750-room hotel is slated to open in early 2017.

Dedicated to the spirit of exploration, Disney Explorers Lodge will invite guests to leave the everyday world behind and enter into a new world full of discovery, nature and exotic cultures. The hotel will feature four distinct gardens based on exotic cultures from around the globe, along with new themed restaurants, a shop and a large outdoor swimming pool.

Financial Secretary of the HK SAR Government, John Tsang; Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, Gregory So; President and Managing Director, Asia, for Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, Bill Ernest; and Managing Director of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, Andrew Kam, officiated at the groundbreaking ceremony.

“This groundbreaking is another exciting milestone in Hong Kong Disneyland Resort’s almost 10-year history,” said Ernest. “This expansion is key to continuing the resort's growth and momentum, and it underscores The Walt Disney Company’s commitment to Hong Kong. This project, along with other upcoming expansion projects and new offerings such as the all-new themed area based on the popular franchise ‘Iron Man’, will continue to add to the appeal of Hong Kong Disneyland.”

Tsang said, “The Government treasures our partnership with The Walt Disney Company. And, like any Disney fan, I’m thrilled to know that there’s much more to come. Much more Disney magic to look forward to. Beginning with this year’s 10th anniversary celebrations, followed by the launching, in late 2016, of the Iron-Man theme area and, in 2017, the opening of the Disney Explorers Lodge.”

Kam noted that the two existing hotels have consistently enjoyed an occupancy rate of more than 90% in recent years. He said, “As an integral part of the resort’s overall expansion plan, the third hotel will increase our total room supply by 75 percent to 1,750. We are confident the new hotel will enhance the guest experience and benefit the region’s growing tourism industry.”

Resort-style hotel with unique Disney storytelling

Before the ceremony, HKDL revealed new design concepts and key features of the hotel, including a story expounding the hotel’s theme of exploration. The story harkens to that grand era of exploration in the early 1920s, telling of four explorers who cooperatively built a lodge based on their adventures throughout the globe, adding their own artifacts and specimens gathered over a lifetime of travels.

The concept of exploration is meticulously brought to life throughout the hotel’s guest rooms, themed gardens, three restaurants and shop, which are inspired by the explorers’ travels to four regions: an African savannah, a South American rainforest, a Polynesian island paradise and an area inspired by the natural beauty of Asia.

“Disney is renowned for storytelling and for embodying the spirit of adventure. Disney Explorers Lodge is no exception,” said Yong Lee, Creative Director of Walt Disney Imagineering. “At this hotel, guests will become explorers in their own right. Iconic Disney elements—featuring characters like Mickey Mouse, Rafiki and others—can be found in the decor and themed elements. The resort-style hotel will appeal to everyone’s spirit of adventure and to the desires of international guests for exotic experiences.”

New hotel features, with the spirit of exploration

The third hotel will differentiate itself from the two existing hotels in terms of its theme and design. Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel boasts grand Victorian elegance while Disney’s Hollywood Hotel is accented by the style and architecture of Art Deco. Disney Explorers Lodge, on the other hand, is designed to be a respite for adventurers, surrounding them with the wonders of nature and diverse cultures. Guests around the world can stay at the hotel and become explorers themselves, embracing the lodge motto of “ad explorandum et somniandum” (to explore and dream).

Inside the South American Garden at Disney Explorers Lodge, art and nature coincide, bringing the vibrancy of South American plant life to the garden’s visitors. Three banyan trees holding hanging lanterns within their limbs reside in the middle of the garden, while purple jacaranda trees surround the space.

As guests walk through the Polynesian Garden, they might believe that they can hear ocean waves gently rolling toward them. In fact, the garden’s lawn is designed to look like the rolling waves of the South Pacific.

The Asian Garden celebrates both the natural beauty of Asia, and the distinct elegance of its eclectic cultures. Located adjacent to a themed Chinese restaurant, guests can stroll along the winding path and relax amid the lush landscape and seasonal flowers.

Finally, within the African Garden, the rustic yellow and orange tones of a savannah wash over visitors, making them feel like they might be about to camp out on safari or on a grassy plain in the African continent’s wild landscape.

Hotel to bring continued success

Combined with the success of the recent expansion, Disney Explorers Lodge and other upcoming offerings will continue to strengthen the resort’s position as a premier family destination in the region, and sustain the growth momentum seen in recent years.

Construction of Disney Explorers Lodge will create additional job opportunities as well as another 600 to 700 full-time equivalent positions in Hong Kong Disneyland Resort after it commences operation.

Key Information about the Third Hotel

Name: Disney Explorers Lodge

Theme: Spirit of exploration. This theme runs through the overall design, including four gardens based on four unique cultures: Asia, South America, Africa and Polynesia.

Facilities:

• An international restaurant
  • A Chinese restaurant
  • A fast casual restaurant
  • A merchandise shop
  • An outdoor pool

No. of rooms: 750, bringing the resort total to 1,750 after opening

Opening date: Early 2017

image.thumb.jpg.737b1c67b46a98919ce668d23c6e1d6a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ca4e573dc3052d6b96a3c23ef41deb53.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.57c9cedb64bc5c0b4c13cad1f37c6178.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c262e9db21504c9f604d20975d5fa1bd.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.97ef048b1eb4e965da61612350cec1ba.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c203ae82823a8424960f8079572e7927.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.0b74361ff5e4efa19db452c47a71ea09.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f2238955f250903c8d9c1f3f402399d1.jpg

I'm amused that the official groundbreaking ceremony was completely staged - or maybe I'm just reminiscing when a groundbreaking ceremony was actually...well....an actual groundbreaking of the site

Either that - or the new Disney Explorer's Lodge is, unfortunately, just going to built in a random banquet room of the Disneyland Hotel!