TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

The bottom photo just looks cluttered. Great decision to clean it up because the castle is really the highlight of the decorations.

Agreed. Although the old garlands were nice, giving a full, unobstructed view of the castle decked out in its Christmas lighting is a good thing.

Edited by cfc

Whoa now, I wasn't bitching about anything...you made a point to comment on the new decorations in the report so I figured they were fair game for discussion. I dont think the new ones look bad at all, just at first glance I thought "oh something is missing".

When comparing the two pictures though, I definitely see the benefit in ditching the full garland deal from the past...it makes the castle look much better. I guess as a local I never really cared about pictures of the castle, but now that I think about it I'd be kinda peeved if all that garland was getting in the way of it. In any case, it still looks great, I dont think Disney could look bad during Christmas even if they tried.

Whoa now, I wasn't bitching about anything...

Sorry, the bitching comment wasn't really directed at you. Your comment was fine. It's been all the "OMG they've RUINED Christmas at Walt Disney World AAAGGGGHHH!!!!!!" comments we've been seeing online over the garlands.

Seriously, people are freaking the f**k out over them. Why?!?!

Was at the kingdom on sunday after the Half-Marathon (I ran, wore my medal, didn't shove it in peoples faces!). I much prefer the new décor from this year vs the clutter from last year. With all the complaining people do about Christmas decos, I would bet that they love the new Festival of Fantasy parade. Which makes me laugh, because (correct me if I'm wrong) due to the height of some floats, they cant drape anything across Main Street USA.

As for the difference between the two events, I have to agree with Robb, I much prefer Halloween to Christmas, but that could be because Christmas isn't really my holiday, and I prefer free candy at the Magic Kingdom to Hot Cocoa and Cookies. Regardless, the fact that there are lines less than 30 mins for most rides is worth the price of admission alone!

Perhaps the reason they changed the garland is that the new parade's floats are too tall. I know during the Christmas TV special taping, they used to take down the garland.

I LOVE the new look! Classy! And I am going to the party tomorrow night!

I don't think they ruined Christmas by any means, but I do prefer the garland over the new look. I think that's also due to the fact that I've been visiting WDW every year since I was born. So, it's more of a "memories of Main Street at Christmas" thing to me. I also like the fact that they bring down the scale of Main Street to a more intimate level by creating kind of a false ceiling as illustrated in those last few pictures. Finally, the views of the castle being "obstructed" is also why I like the garland better. It's great to have different photos of the castle over the years. It always encouraged us to visit at different times of the year growing up. Get some Halloween pictures, some Christmas pictures, Easter pictures, big-a$$ pink birthday cake castle pictures, ice-covered castle pictures, plain castle pictures, etc... Besides, if you want a full-on unobstructed view of the castle, just take the picture by Casey's. The garland to me created a "different feel" to Main Street and that's what made it feel so unique over the Christmas season. So, that's why I think a lot of people miss them so much.

I don't think the new ones are hideous or anything, and I know they can't keep everything the same forever. But, it's also good to understand why the old ones were so popular. I'm sure many years in the future they'll bring them back for a limited time thing or whatever as "retro" decorations. Kind of like the Orange Bird, EPCOT Center logos, etc...

But, it's also good to understand why the old ones were so popular.

I don't think they were really "popular", I think they were just "there" and people, like you mentioned in your post, don't like change for whatever reason. Me, on the other hand, I encourage change. I'd rather the park change it up over the years so it's not the same old thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Sure, there are going to be some changes I'm not gonna like as much as others, but I do believe in a balance in this crazy theme park world we live in. And if there is one change that doesn't suit me, there's probably a good chance the next half-a-dozen things will.

And 99% of the time, those things that don't suit me, I get used to over time anyway. I'd rather make an honest attempt to enjoy and appreciate something that complain about it.

I really need to get down to Orlando for Christmastime one year. I love Christmas and I love Disney so it looks like a great combo for me.

I also like the new decorations. I feel holiday decorations need to be updated from time to time so they don't become dated.

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/11/made-with-magic-items-now-available-at-disney-parks/

I’m happy to announce that Made With Magic items are now available at Disney Parks. You may recall my recent Disney Parks Blog article about Made With Magic, the new name for products that light up and interact with select Disney experiences at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. I recently visited Fantasmic! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios to get a first hand look at these new products.

As the sun set on another beautiful Florida day, I saw these items in action at the top of the Hollywood Hills Theater just before seating opened for the first Fantasmic! show. We currently offer a Disney ear hat, a Minnie Mouse headband and a Sorcerer Mickey wand. A light-up Mickey Mouse glove will be coming to Disney Parks in spring 2015. Each Made With Magic item has a retail of $25.00 (that retail includes tax).

My favorite item is the Sorcerer Mickey wand as it has the ability to change other Made With Magic items. It’s pretty easy to use. To change the color patterns on the wand, press the artist pallet button. Once you find a color pattern you like, you can press the wand button to change other Made With Magic items. I changed an entire display of Disney ear hats with just one wand (I wonder if I can use this wand to clean up my apartment as that would be amazing).

Look for these items in select merchandise locations at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida. Guests in California can find these items in various merchandise locations in Disneyland park and in Disney’s California Adventure park.

MWM690031.jpg.ab296c5fb4fc1c7e2ada12ee6eada1e8.jpg

MWM690032.jpg.91d0e119558bc34e41229f6ff1ba904a.jpg

MWM690033.jpg.c15e1ece5e2e8fc9d1dac05e185be2b9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/12/magic-kingdom-park-welcomes-the-golden-coach-from-cinderella/

As a special holiday offering, guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park will have the opportunity to see the actual coach featured in the upcoming live-action Disney film, “Cinderella.” A team of white horses will pull the dreamlike carriage in special pre-parade appearances through the park and down Main Street, U.S.A.

Inspired by the classic fairy tale, “Cinderella” brings to life the timeless images from Disney’s 1950 animated masterpiece in a visually dazzling spectacle for a whole new generation. The stunning, golden coach from the film will be gracing the parade route at Magic Kingdom Park through the holidays, and can also be seen as part of the “Disney Parks Frozen Christmas Celebration,” airing Christmas Day on ABC.

“Cinderella” opens in theaters March 13, 2015.

cchwdw203948.jpg.2e953fa5d8219f50cd8739430be5debd.jpg

If there's still availability for the particular attraction you want, you can book FP+'s up to (and including) the same day as your visit. I routinely do this with an AP...although availability often prevents me from doing so on the more popular attractions.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone thought about this, or is it just me. Do the human girls of Frozen kinda make you think about the Ginger vs Maryann paradox? Who would you like to bang? Elsa or Anna? I'm an Elsa man.

You, sir, are disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh, and I vote for Anna...

^ Disney & More.com did an article with photos and video/photo tour of the new Peter Pan queue,

and the possibility of it being built in Disney Paris, as well....

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.ca/2014/11/will-they-build-at-disneyland-paris-new.html

Edited by Nrthwnd

I'm starting to think of taking my family WDW for the first time for any of us. It will probably be in 2016 at some point but since I know very little about planning a trip for there I am starting early. It will be two adults and at least a 2-3 year old. I'm looking for information on when the best time to go is , maybe some resorts recommendations, and any general tips or tricks anyone may be able to share. We will probably for for 5-7 days. If this is the wrong thread for these questions and all of this has been discussed in another thread feel free to direct me there. Thank you.